British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Congratulations El Champions Poole

This match was won by the Manager who was willing to GO BIG to go forward. The signing of Hancock was a master stroke and is the reason why Poole flew up the league to reach the play-offs!

Birmingham method of cost cutting, or saving money has built them a good team but a team that has stood still over the season and everyone else has got better.

I wouldnt be paying £20 to watch 15 unnessary heats from a Brummies Point of view and would use it as a bit of a protest of what a shocking display it was a week ago.

I have a soft spot for the Brummies as i watched them last year but from the start of season of changing the race night just so they could get Barker to ride to his failed signing to the constant moaning by the management about the state of how things are is boring.

• Like 1

This match was won by the Manager who was willing to GO BIG to go forward. The signing of Hancock was a master stroke and is the reason why Poole flew up the league to reach the play-offs!

Birmingham method of cost cutting, or saving money has built them a good team but a team that has stood still over the season and everyone else has got better.

I wouldnt be paying £20 to watch 15 unnessary heats from a Brummies Point of view and would use it as a bit of a protest of what a shocking display it was a week ago.

I have a soft spot for the Brummies as i watched them last year but from the start of season of changing the race night just so they could get Barker to ride to his failed signing to the constant moaning by the management about the state of how things are is boring.

They got into the Play-Offs by doing whatever they wanted to with no punishment. I agree with your point about paying £20 to watch 15 unnecessary Heats. I hope that the fans will turn up in numbers for the 2nd Leg as Birmingham deserve it for there superb effort this season.

So you think dodgy things never went on in the car coat era. Wake up and smell the coffee :rofl:

Tell your useless promoters then not us. Like any company they need to go out and find sponsors and new fans as all in bussness do. Or just sit on ya bum do nothing and wonder why no one turns up. You get out what you put in and sadly most promoters do very little.

We did have one or two unemployed down here but Matt took them on to clear up Roscoes tissues :P Its a BIG job ;)

You are right but since Matt took over the club has run well. Yes things can change in the future who knows but i dont think they will short term.

Your arrogance holds no bounds! What a surprise you sponsor Poole! :rolleyes: I think some promoters are doing a good job in getting new sponsors despite the recession but to get sponsors (and people to come and see it) you need an attractive product and I think that is the main reason why people are drifting away. Its absolutely great for you and Poole that you have great crowds down Dorset way but surely you can see that crowds are down massively around the country? Continue with the "We're alright Jack" approach and despite having a large fan base, you might find you have no one to race against. Speedway has historically found it difficult to attract new fans (probably doesn't help that clubs like yours charge £3-5 to let children in - but down your way its the blue-rinse brigade that swells the numbers - at least for now) and now it is seeing even the die-hard fans leaving. At Swindon I used to stand with a crowd of about 8-10 of us and most of those are now lost to speedway - even in our championship winning year they were drifting away in large numbers - that tells me it is the product that is wrong! It's not all doom and gloom though as Poole are doing well and you are associated with a soon to be championship winning side :rolleyes:

Your arrogance holds no bounds! What a surprise you sponsor Poole! :rolleyes: I think some promoters are doing a good job in getting new sponsors despite the recession but to get sponsors (and people to come and see it) you need an attractive product and I think that is the main reason why people are drifting away. Its absolutely great for you and Poole that you have great crowds down Dorset way but surely you can see that crowds are down massively around the country? Continue with the "We're alright Jack" approach and despite having a large fan base, you might find you have no one to race against. Speedway has historically found it difficult to attract new fans (probably doesn't help that clubs like yours charge £3-5 to let children in - but down your way its the blue-rinse brigade that swells the numbers - at least for now) and now it is seeing even the die-hard fans leaving. At Swindon I used to stand with a crowd of about 8-10 of us and most of those are now lost to speedway - even in our championship winning year they were drifting away in large numbers - that tells me it is the product that is wrong! It's not all doom and gloom though as Poole are doing well and you are associated with a soon to be championship winning side :rolleyes:

Arrogance ! Look at the people in charge past companies which are no more at swindon, last few years not being able to pay wages ? if they cant run a normal one how will they do at speedway.

i am no sponsor of Poole and havnt been since 2003, yes did the final but that dooes not make me a big sponsor there at the moment.

if you look you will see i said to put prices down for the final and all under 15 to go free. I really feel under 15 shoiuld always be free and adult prices slashed. Speedway is mostly attended by those on average wages and the cheaper it is the more will go. I do have a bit of savvy and i would work on high numbers low cost if i was in speedway but promoters look at what they will lose and not gain.

• Like 4

Dont forget most other clubs in the elite are competing against other sports in the area and speedway is a minor sport.

My own club Ipswich have obviously football and stock cars. i regularly used to stand at Foxhall with 3 guys who had season tickets for Ipswich Town. As prices rise for both football and speedway they had to make a chioce and now dont go speedway anymore.

Manchester, Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Swindon all have bigger sports in the town then speedway. this is a major reason why supporters are lost they cant afford to do everything.

Poole has nothing else .....well apart from a few luvvies sipping champers in the harbour.

Must be easier to promote Poole Speedway then a lot of other clubs, and yes you still need a good side and Matt Ford by fair means and foul gives the fans that.

Think you will find it was Matt Ford who got Greg not Middlo

The reason Poole started their charge up the table was when Darcy got injured and rider like THJ Josh and Pawlicki were bought in.

Greg came in for the current World Champion so dont think you can say Greg alone got them in as Holder would undoubtedly have scored very well.

Fair play to Ford for getting a world class rider.

However Greg was responsible in the farce at Belle Vue for being sublime and ultimatly his performance that nigh got you in the play offs.

"if you look you will see i said to put prices down for the final and all under 15 to go free. I really feel under 15 shoiuld always be free and adult prices slashed. Speedway is mostly attended by those on average wages and the cheaper it is the more will go. I do have a bit of savvy and i would work on high numbers low cost if i was in speedway but promoters look at what they will lose and not gain."

great post

Not many other than the most avid Poole fans will feel any joy at this outcome, and jealousy does not come into it.

Dont forget most other clubs in the elite are competing against other sports in the area and speedway is a minor sport.

My own club Ipswich have obviously football and stock cars. i regularly used to stand at Foxhall with 3 guys who had season tickets for Ipswich Town. As prices rise for both football and speedway they had to make a chioce and now dont go speedway anymore.

Manchester, Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Swindon all have bigger sports in the town then speedway. this is a major reason why supporters are lost they cant afford to do everything.

Poole has nothing else .....well apart from a few luvvies sipping champers in the harbour.

Must be easier to promote Poole Speedway then a lot of other clubs, and yes you still need a good side and Matt Ford by fair means and foul gives the fans that.

Think you will find it was Matt Ford who got Greg not Middlo

The reason Poole started their charge up the table was when Darcy got injured and rider like THJ Josh and Pawlicki were bought in.

Greg came in for the current World Champion so dont think you can say Greg alone got them in as Holder would undoubtedly have scored very well.

Fair play to Ford for getting a world class rider.

However Greg was responsible in the farce at Belle Vue for being sublime and ultimatly his performance that nigh got you in the play offs.

Matt Ford knows how much he can earn from a packed Wimborne road in the play offs and Greg was the only viable option so he had to get him.

Poole speedway may be the biggest sport in Poole but Bournemouth isn't far away and they do have a football team too.I imagine Birmingham and Belle Vue have the most issues with competion from football as they have two clubs in close proximity.

Edited by foreverblue

Not many other than the most avid Poole fans will feel any joy at this outcome, and jealousy does not come into it.

And why ?

Matt Ford knows how much he can earn from a packed Wimborne road in the play offs and Greg was the only viable option so he had to get him.

As I pointed out on another thread, Greg was only there because he lost his team place in Poland and needed a job. Philip Rising has said elsewhere on the forum that its highly unlikely that Greg was on a better deal than Holder so he was just fortunate that a top rider became available just at the time Ford needed one. Can't complain about him getting Greg but its not really a case of "he had to get him" . the deal practically fell into his lap. As we have both said before, you need luck to succeed in any sport and once Holder was injured getting Greg was Matt's lucky break.

After being to Poole for the semi final not sure where these Big crowds come from ...walked in at 7.15 pm without having to wait , was hardly anyone in the bar or buying food ...the stand had fans in it but bar that the place was empty ...Poole crowds have took a massive dip in the last two years and god help them if they have a bad season .

After being to Poole for the semi final not sure where these Big crowds come from ...walked in at 7.15 pm without having to wait , was hardly anyone in the bar or buying food ...the stand had fans in it but bar that the place was empty ...Poole crowds have took a massive dip in the last two years and god help them if they have a bad season .

That's not what the blue rinse, sorry blue tint brigade would have us believe - apparently everything is rosy down Dorset way :rolleyes:

Keep it going, wont change were in the final and looks like were WIN :D

Good for Poole, wont be popular anywhere else. But why you should you Poole fans care anyway.

Good for Poole, wont be popular anywhere else. But why you should you Poole fans care anyway.

They win so everything is rosy! sad really i always thought when you are a winner you exspect to get the accolade from everybody i don't see that happening.
  • Like 1

They win so everything is rosy! sad really i always thought when you are a winner you exspect to get the accolade from everybody i don't see that happening.

S in expect ? :wink: