British Speedway Forum

Gustix,

I think the "we" in my generation suggests you are giving the view of more than just yourself.

Incidentally one of my friends is a Captain with the "World's favourite airline" and has a tattoo.

That low intelligence opinion, past or present, is wrong. End of.

But I'm happy to accept it is just YOUR opinion, not your generation's

Edited by Jonimac

I appreciate they spent there money but my point doesnt change that speedway shouldnt be marketing to them. Makes me laugh that you get upset by an "old farts" comment but its the "name of the game" when people get upset over your comments about people with tattoo's being less intelligent. You have been nothing but negative on this thread and others. People like you are of no loss to the sport at all. Some who have walked should be asked why and there complaints should be listened to but you come across as a whinger, someone who wouldnt be happy no matter what the situation.

Well, I have two tattoos. So that must make me a person of " low intelligence" then ... :blink: ( I know i'm going to get comments from some about that) :D

I'm 46 now and had them done many years ago,.Why? Because it was a good idea at the time and it was cool even then and I felt ever so slightly rebellious doing it, especially knowing how disgusted my parents would be :D To be fair they are very discreet so you wouldn't know I had them..Do they bother me now? Maybe a bit, because I've grown out of that stage, but they are hidden from public view ( most of the time).

I don't particularly like his tattoos, the ear piercings even less, mainly because there is so much of it - that's just personal taste, he loves them. It's his way of expressing himself, as it is for a lot of people...They see it as 'body art'...Who are we to disagree? In fact, who are we to judge?

But doesn't this subject prove how stuffy and stereotypical some are, when his achievements are over shadowed by his tattoos and a couple of ear piercings!! :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued - where are your Tattoos Jacques? :shock::wink::blink:

And most young people think they look cool and thats what should matter. Speedway shouldnt be looking to attract old farts

OI!!!

It attracts me - and my money is as good as anyone else's, including yours. :angry:

Old F*rt indeed. :angry:

I'm intrigued - where are your Tattoos Jacques? :shock::wink::blink:

OI!!!

It attracts me - and my money is as good as anyone else's, including yours. :angry:

Old F*rt indeed. :angry:

Im glad it does but again for the hard of hearing speedway shouldnt be marketing to your generation the sport will not survive that way. Im not saying it should forget you

Im glad it does but again for the hard of hearing speedway shouldnt be marketing to your generation the sport will not survive that way. Im not saying it should forget you

Thank you for that phillipsr. :t:

I appreciate they spent there money but my point doesnt change that speedway shouldnt be marketing to them. Makes me laugh that you get upset by an "old farts" comment but its the "name of the game" when people get upset over your comments about people with tattoo's being less intelligent. You have been nothing but negative on this thread and others. People like you are of no loss to the sport at all. Some who have walked should be asked why and there complaints should be listened to but you come across as a whinger, someone who wouldnt be happy no matter what the situation.

But I did not say that people with tattoos were of low intelligence. It's just what we thought all those generations ago. Again it's catering for people who do not read things properly and then spin their interpretation on things.

But I did not say that people with tattoos were of low intelligence. It's just what we thought all those generations ago. Again it's catering for people who do not read things properly and then spin their interpretation on things.

The irony being, of course, that you hark back to a time when speedway riders had greased back hair, fags hanging out their mouths and wore black leather. Hardly a sign of being a member of mensa, was it?

• Like 3

Looking at the crowd last week at Poole,at least half the crowd seemed to be of a older generation.Or was it just because it was Poole,which is a bit like Hastings and Eastbourne and has a higher proportion of older people.

Bet Matt Ford,s not complaining though.

The irony being, of course, that you hark back to a time when speedway riders had greased back hair, fags hanging out their mouths and wore black leather. Hardly a sign of being a member of mensa, was it?

May I suggest this Post is just rhubarb! :lol:

Bruce Penhall is a perfect example of someone who had the appeal to both male and female and apart from highlights in his hair, it was just Juicy Brucey!

Had. Was. There's the key words in your post.

Juicey Brucey was great and indeed looked like an 80s pop star or film star with his big highlighted hair. He wouldn't have looked out of place next to George Michael, Don Johnson, Simon Le Bon. That was 30 years ago.

Today, Tai Woffinden would not look out of place next to David Beckham, Justin Bieber or Harry Styles. All tattooed, fashionable icons, massively popular with the young. This is 2013.

• Like 2

I think if you were a member of Mensa, your brain would tell you not to ride a motorbike without brakes and you wouldn't ride speedway! However, the image you portray is even before my early years as a young fan. I remember in the late 60's and early 70's, many riders with coloured leathers and tassels on their sleeves, long (pop star) type hair cuts and looked very cool, charismatic and edgy. Some may have had tattoos and some may have had earrings, but whether they did or didn't, they were still my heroes at my very young age and they did, to me, offer a pop star/sports star image!

• Like 1

I think he would still look like an edgy motorcycle racer, if he didn't have the tattoos and black buttons in his ears. Bruce Penhall is a perfect example of someone who had the appeal to both male and female and apart from highlights in his hair, it was just Juicy Brucey! I don't think Valentino Rossi has any of the stuff either and is hugely popular, worldwide, young and old.

Rossi has a large surgical steel earring and has done for many years. He also does have at least one tattoo. Not that this matters, he's loved for who he is, one of the biggest characters any sport has ever seen, not just bike racing. He was also a "bit of a lad" in his early teens an even in his early career he got into one or two scrapes, but nobody holds this against him because of who he is now. A read of his autobiography will fill in some of the gaps.

I would say that if he was to cover himself in tattoos tomorrow, it wouldn't diminish his popularity one iota. Well as long as they weren't "Max Biaggi" ones!

Oh yeah and Penhall looked like a girl. ;)

Edited by OGT

Had. Was. There's the key words in your post.

Juicey Brucey was great and indeed looked like an 80s pop star or film star with his big highlighted hair. He wouldn't have looked out of place next to George Michael, Don Johnson, Simon Le Bon. That was 30 years ago.

Today, Tai Woffinden would not look out of place next to David Beckham, Justin Bieber or Harry Styles. All tattooed, fashionable icons, massively popular with the young. This is 2013.

I do take your point, but I still say, Tai, who like Penhall, is a good looking fella, would still have massive appeal to the young without the tattoos and black ear buttons. And here's the bonus...he would appeal to the 'old farts' too! Win win!

"we used to regard people with tatoos as being of low intelligence"

We used to regard black people as being a low intelligence inferior race too.

As late as the 1930's when Jesse Owens returned to the USA for a welcome home ceremony with the president, he had to enter the hotel by the back door and use the goods lift.

If the USA still operated like that, the president would have to use the goods lift.

Such outdated bigotry is in the past.....only a numpty would bring ancient history, and his outdated prejudices, into a thread about about our well deserved world champion who has already given speedway considerable amounts of publicity just 7 days into his reign, and will hopefully continue to be a fine ambassador for the sport well into the future

• Like 4