British Speedway Forum

Well at least the BBC are showing some interest in the sport, even if fleetingly. It shows that a good news story will be picked up if your PR team are good enough and work hard enough. BUT, you have to chase them, they wont come to you unless you are in one of the major sports. The BSPA should now start work on a media campaign to promote the beginning of the 2014 season so they can get some momentum. I doubt they will though, which is the shame.

Is it just me that doesnt understand this?

Report here later in the day, perhaps... when the brain's had time to kick in. Isn't too difficult to undertstand, surely. You seem a bright sort... well, compared to the average Eddie fan.

is it too early to start the campaining to get Tai nominated for Sports Personality of the Year? Okay we all know he wouldnt get it but surely a nomination at least

Have to be realistic, I don't think speedway is big enough to get Tai listed, but I hope they very least give it some coverage and have Tai in the audience for coverage during the programme.

Dam bike was right in the way of Sally Nugents legs---i should have stayed in bed

I did BBC Breakfast a few weeks ago myself and got to sit right next to the lovely Susanna,, it was so hard to focus on her words when my eyes were focussing on those legs.. wow.

Well done mr woffinden you are an absoloute credit son to your family, very impressive interview & despite what some may say you are a very charasmatic young man. British speedway dosent deserve you.

• Like 4

Oh my god... people are really deluded. Tai Woffinden for BBC Sports Personality Of The Year? You having a laugh?

Barry Briggs, so I am led to believe, was edged into runners-up spot by what some say was dubious tactics when the sport was massive during the 50s... and even England's Grand Slam winning team of 1980 failed to hit the spot when the show went out at Christmas later that year. Speedway is in a bad state at the moment and the broadcaster is spending a fleeting time interested in the sport right now.

Tai Woffinden, likeable though he may well be, hasn't a chance.

Now, did someone win Wimbledon (Tennis) who is actually British?

Tai Woffinden, though having slightly more personality than Andy Murray, I don't think he has a chance...

Oh my god... people are really deluded. Tai Woffinden for BBC Sports Personality Of The Year? You having a laugh?

Err no - no one said for the actual award - its to get him named on the night as one of the two dozen 'nominees' as after all he is a British World Champion. Some people really dont read :P

• Like 2

Err no - no one said for the actual award - its to get him named on the night as one of the two dozen 'nominees' as after all he is a British World Champion. Some people really dont read :P

And they can't write as well. :P

• Like 1

Quite right. Some people don't read (or maybe don't want to read something positive that conflicts with their need to feel bitter and miserable).

No one has suggested Tai will win SPOTY - That's a foregone conclusion, the award is going to Mr Personality himself, Andy Murray

Tai won't even be on the shortlist that the public get to vote on.

But it's possible he could be on the long list before it gets filtered down to the BBCs list of approved choices

And it's certain he will get an invite to be in the audience, and will get some kind of mention. That could be a 2 second clip in the "other British World champion" section...or maybe they would be interested in getting his bike into the studio for a 2 minute interview a la Breakfast TV.

Certainly the more noise we can make, and the more we can make the BBC aware of their Speedway-loving licence payers, the better chance of a bigger mention.

There's nothing to gain from being a bitter, doom and gloom sadcase.

• Like 2

I am not sure speedway is big enough to even get into the list of dozen nominees, but what we should do is put pressure on the BBC to include Tai in the nights programme when they look at 'other sports' with British success, a role the BSPA should be already working towards now if they are proactive, i.e. sending the BBC SPOTY team a marketing pack of speedway and Tai... assuming Tai is even in the UK at the time.

• Like 1

It caught me unaware, as I did not know he was going to be on. Totally unexpected.

Shame the only clip they showed was 1 second of him on a slowing down lap, and 10 seconds of his mum in the crowd. I suppose they did not have the rights to show a clip of him actually in a race. His dedication came accross well, when they were asking about his injuries etc.

Would Tai, if nominated, be willing to fly back from his home in Australia?

Even if he is nominated, turns up on invite, I'm not sure I'd want to sit through almost three hours of cack for what is almost a foregone conclusion result. I think I can remember what Tai looks like, thank you, and don’t really need a pan of a wobbly camera on his face. Remember sitting through countless shows in the past, not one mention of speedway.

Even if Tai does get a mention, it’ll be like watercress on a salad plate. No point in it really.