British Speedway Forum
iand

Doubling Up - Should It Be Allowed?

I don't think it helped himself any by staying in Edinburgh and having to drive down to Redcar and Poole every week pus away matches as well!

That probably contributed towards all the costs!

I believe that doubling up should be allowed but the restrictions need to be the same for elite/premier as premier/national. If a rider with an average above 4 in the premier can't double down to the national then why can a rider with an average above 4 in the elite double down in the premier?

• Like 1

Simple answer to this thread, yes i do.

Simple answer to this thread, yes i do.

Yes you do what? I'm not sure supporting Poole and Somerset really counts as 'doubling-up'? :wink:

• Like 1

There is way to much doubling up.

Dont know the best way to stop it but riders like Doyle , Barker, Cook, Gracjonek, Morris, Tungate, Auty, Dyer for example are all premier heat leaders who need to be in one or the other.

It should be there for riders like Kerr and Newman to go in to the elite league as a reserve to try and improve.

• Like 3

I don't attend Elite League Meetings - but it does seem to me that there is far too much Doubling Up. I'm not sure how you solve the problem though - as has been pointed out there are not enough Riders around to furnish the Elite League.

My only solution would be to merge both Leagues and if the likes of Tai Woofinden, Chris Harris et al didn't like it, personally, I would regretfully say - Thank You and goodbye. :sad: :sad:

The continuation of the Sport is more important than individuals.

there are not enough Riders around to furnish the Elite League

My only solution would be to merge both Leagues

How can merging both league be the solution, when there's not enough riders to go around when the leagues are separate? :wink:

If you merge both leagues, you remove doubling up - so where are the extra riders going to come from, to populate this "one big league"?

How can merging both league be the solution, when there's not enough riders to go around when the leagues are separate? :wink:

If you merge both leagues, you remove doubling up - so where are the extra riders going to come from, to populate this "one big league"?

From the National League. We will have to watch Riders not as skilled as we are used to - but - hopefully in the long run it will be to the benefit of BRITISH Speedway. You have to realise that Speedway is not a RICH Sport - in fact it is in very poor shape Finacially - we really cannot afford to go on paying for all of these, sometimes good, sometimes bad foreign Elite League/Premier League Riders from the Continent.

If Speedway in this Country is to survive it needs a very radical rethink on how it is run and financed.

Disgrace in 2009 when Barker wasn't allowed to double up in my opinion. As much as Dave Tattum came across as a moron. I actually agreed with him 100%. Yes rules are rules and Ben was 0.4 over but even still...

Farcial in my opinion

Admittedly Dyer's scores slackened off but we've heard the odd rumour odd about Dyer then again scoring paid 16-17 points and returning doesn't sound right. Poor with his money or just "another" speedway myth.

From the National League. We will have to watch Riders not as skilled as we are used to - but - hopefully in the long run it will be to the benefit of BRITISH Speedway. You have to realise that Speedway is not a RICH Sport - in fact it is in very poor shape Finacially - we really cannot afford to go on paying for all of these, sometimes good, sometimes bad foreign Elite League/Premier League Riders from the Continent.

If Speedway in this Country is to survive it needs a very radical rethink on how it is run and financed.

Er... we do not have to watch anything of the sort! Personally, I think that merging leagues is bad idea. Woffinden vs a NL Wobbler is not exactly entertaining for the crowd.

If they're going to merge the EL and PL, then I'd rather reduce the riders per team to 5/6. Should sort out the lack of available riders, and maybe reduce the amount of guests and r/r.

Er... we do not have to watch anything of the sort! Personally, I think that merging leagues is bad idea. Woffinden vs a NL Wobbler is not exactly entertaining for the crowd.

If they're going to merge the EL and PL, then I'd rather reduce the riders per team to 5/6. Should sort out the lack of available riders, and maybe reduce the amount of guests and r/r.

Impractical - do you think Harris, Woffinden etc. would ride for the Pay Scales that would need to be introduced in order to put the Sport in this Country on a sound Financial footing. No they would not, therefore you would not have and Woffinden riding against National League Riders. British Speedway at present CANNOT AFFORD the luxury of these Riders in their Teams - not unless they take a significant Pay Cut.

You seem to be arguing from the standpoint that things can go on as they are - put simply, if Speedway does not reduce it's Costs/Expenses it will surely go to the wall.

Personally, I would rather watch Teams with two National League Riders at Reserve than for that to happen. The plus is that in a very few years British Speedway will benefit from the fact that these youngsters have now become experienced Rider. Once you start introducing National League Riders on a regular basis, those Riders must improve - or they are simply not good enough and will be replaced by others..

I commented at least two years ago on this Forum, that Speedway would suffer because of the Recession - well, we are in it now. Speedway Promoters have to wake up and smell the coffee.

If I had the answers - I would be a Promoter. I am not. Answers by those at the Top need to be found though - VERY SOON!!!

Disgrace in 2009 when Barker wasn't allowed to double up in my opinion. As much as Dave Tattum came across as a moron. I actually agreed with him 100%. Yes rules are rules and Ben was 0.4 over but even still...

In fact it was 0.04 of a point! Or 1 race point over a whole a season.

I don't attend Elite League Meetings - but it does seem to me that there is far too much Doubling Up. I'm not sure how you solve the problem though - as has been pointed out there are not enough Riders around to furnish the Elite League.

My only solution would be to merge both Leagues and if the likes of Tai Woofinden, Chris Harris et al didn't like it, personally, I would regretfully say - Thank You and goodbye. :sad: :sad:

The continuation of the Sport is more important than individuals.

This hints that isn't going to happen (thankfully):- http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23131

Same old boring talk about cutting costs ..you keep doing that the crowds keep dropping never to return not sure why people think people are going to turn up to watch nl riders rather than top liners the bottom line is they won't ..we need idea's that bring crowds back rather than away .

• Like 1