British Speedway Forum
iand

Doubling Up - Should It Be Allowed?

Some interesting views from Craig Cook on Twitter, I'm inclined to agree

Total lack of ambition from a bloke who 'says' he wants to reach the top. If he really wants to make it in the sport he needs to get himself out to Poland and Sweden and improve out there and if he does he can make money. Really what is the point career wise in him banging in max after max for Edinburgh against inferior riders?

• Like 1

Because scoring maximums for Edinburgh probably brings in a better income. Than the odd meeting in Poland and Sweden PL also provides regular match fitness which Poland in paticular in the bottom tier doesn't provide.

He's the 2nd best rider in the UK, but Craig will do what is best for him, look at Barker and Bridger chased the Polish dream, and still can't get clubs 3 years later

• Like 1

Total lack of ambition from a bloke who 'says' he wants to reach the top. If he really wants to make it in the sport he needs to get himself out to Poland and Sweden and improve out there and if he does he can make money. Really what is the point career wise in him banging in max after max for Edinburgh against inferior riders?

Who says he doesn't want to?

His aim is to ride in Sweden as well as double up in the UK.

However there is more to it than just wanting to ride over there.

You have to find a team that also wants you and for a relatively unknown rider (as far as the international scene is concerned) that is not that easy. Particularly with the average he would start on.

So what is wrong with doubling up in the UK as well?

At least the PL provides regular employment which is more than can be said for the EL.

Edited by TheScotsman
  • Like 3

Because scoring maximums for Edinburgh probably brings in a better income. Than the odd meeting in Poland and Sweden PL also provides regular match fitness which Poland in paticular in the bottom tier doesn't provide.

He's the 2nd best rider in the UK, but Craig will do what is best for him, look at Barker and Bridger chased the Polish dream, and still can't get clubs 3 years later

Cook has a hell of alot more natural ability than Barker and Bridger in my opinion and if he wants to get to the top hea got to branch out not just stay as he is.

• Like 1

Doubling-up was originally introduced for young Brits only, but like most things the BSPA sets up, got watered down, to allow old timers and non-Brits.

Doubling-up should be used to give riders more experience at a higher level, and if possible, should be restricted to young Brits only (say 25 and under).

If the BSPA relaxes the rules any further, it will be one big league anyway!

• Like 1

Craig cook can't get a ride in Sweden, the clubs are nearly full already and Craig has a high average to slot into a Swedish team. It is very easy for people on here to say "oh he should get a team in Sweden, Poland, Timbuktu etc, but it is a lot easier said than done. Both Sweden and Piland now have half the team places allocated for Home riders. So get off his back and the BSPA should take Screamers idea and allocate days of the week for EL (mon, wed, some fri) and the other days for PL. then you can do both easily without conflict.

Rocket science...... Mmmmm........ No

Cook has a hell of alot more natural ability than Barker and Bridger in my opinion and if he wants to get to the top hea got to branch out not just stay as he is.

So does he, but at the moment, he can't get a ride in Sweden.

• Like 1

Not sure about natural ability but Cook uses what talent he has very well unlike Barker and Bridger who are wastingwhat talent they have by off track antics
  • Like 2

Okay so Craig realistically is going to target the Elitserian as opposed to the Allsvenkan (sp?) as it is a Thursday night. You know how strong the top tier IS , Sweden is the strongest league in the world when you include all teams from 1-7. Woffinden didn't get a team place and Sayfutdinov was dropped from Indianarna after a string off rubbish scores. As you say scoring maximums at Armadale against our mob and others is a bit different from the big boy leagues...

I don't think another season at Edinburgh and maybe doing a full season with Belle Vue at No1 or 5 would do him any harm though, with the odd meeting on the continent. Cook, Barker and Bridger all struggled for GB to be honest Barker was appauling in the WC but he's struggled for most of the season.

Doyley when he did race in Poland Pre Pawlicki's loan move from Leszno was a bit part rider for a run of the mill Pila team.

Fisher - Don't think he's in Poland anymore

Larsen - Initially went too Krakow, then too bankrupt Rybinik again not sure if he is still in Poland

Barker - Sparingly used by Opole

Bridger - Was trying to get in Bydgoszcz, think Lewis got a bit carried away there

Ostergard - Not used in Poland or Sweden, then again he is struggling in the PL

Stead - Only ever rode 3rd tier

Okay Woffinden has been sensational across the board this year. Most Brits struggle abroad, Nicholls, Harris and Lee Rico 8-9pt men in the El, nobodies aborad..... On Suday afternoons and Tuesday nights

I think that the the elite league and premier league are now far to close to each other in rider ability wise, if you take Woffy out of the elite league they are british rider ability wise. This needs to be re balanced and the only way to do this is for the top Brits in the Premier League to go Elite League and promote National League top uns into the Premier League. ... MDL etc into the national league. Perhaps this would naturally decrease double upping because the ability gap would be much larger than it is now between PL and EL? I also think that double ups should be allowed only for one season, and and if they don't make the grade they stay premier. No way should a Premier League Heat Leader be capable of being a Heat Leader in the Elite League!!!! That really is micky mouse rules.... & it shouldn't happen, because the gap between riders abilities between the leagues is not large enough, if it was, the rule would self govern itself...

I think that the the elite league and premier league are now far to close to each other in rider ability wise, if you take Woffy out of the elite league they are british rider ability wise. This needs to be re balanced and the only way to do this is for the top Brits in the Premier League to go Elite League and promote National League top uns into the Premier League. ... MDL etc into the national league. Perhaps this would naturally decrease double upping because the ability gap would be much larger than it is now between PL and EL? I also think that double ups should be allowed only for one season, and and if they don't make the grade they stay premier. No way should a Premier League Heat Leader be capable of being a Heat Leader in the Elite League!!!! That really is micky mouse rules.... & it shouldn't happen, because the gap between riders abilities between the leagues is not large enough, if it was, the rule would self govern itself...

What's so special about Doubling Up? There are PLENTY of other Mickey Mouse Rules to consider.

Edited by The White Knight

Fair comment, but if you make a list of em' thats got to up there, surely? Can you imagine (I am not a footy fan, so please bare with my an analogy)

David Beckham playing for Man Utd Saturday, then turning out for Macclesfield on the Tuesday!!

Or any footy player, cricketer, rugby player turning out for two different clubs!!

Fair comment, but if you make a list of em' thats got to up there, surely? Can you imagine (I am not a footy fan, so please bare with my an analogy)

David Beckham playing for Man Utd Saturday, then turning out for Macclesfield on the Tuesday!!

Or any footy player, cricketer, rugby player turning out for two different clubs!!

And not just that - also playing on Sundays and mid-week in other countries ...

A combination of doubling up as well as allowing riders to make their living in several different leagues has actually served to reduce the number of riders and, I would argue, reduce the overall quality.

But there are other sports where players can play in different leagues (even in different countries) and for higher ranked teams in the same club in the same league.

No thinking of spectator sport but it does happen elsewhere.

IMO the greatest impact in the diminishing number of UK riders in the sport is the increasing cost of purchasing and maintaining competitive equipment.

Notwithstanding that some are fortunate to be assisted by generous sponsors, they still need to maximise the use of their expensive equipment, hence why doubling up provides an essential return on investment in order to make a decent income.