British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Glad that's been clarified & thanks to Phil for posting it.

Whoever compiled yesterdays' press release needs to consider a career change.

Surely it was agreed by all of them.

Its so we go off on one big one and we do,it works every time!!!! They will then appease us by appearing to correct it and responding to the hue and cry.What we need to do then is watch what's slipped in while we are not looking.

Well I bet it isn't the abolishment of the bl**dy Double Points. :mad::mad:

• Like 1

Well I bet it isn't the abolishment of the bl**dy Double Points. :mad::mad:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I wish for that as well ........OFU old farts united.

• Like 2

I do remember rider control and it was done away with because it was no longer fit for purpose.

Even back in the early 70's we knew at Cradley we would be shafted by the big clubs who had their place at the top table. Read John Berry's Confessions book to find out how shabbily Ipswich were treated when they moved up a league (they took over West Ham's licence, but the Hammers top man Christer Lofqvist ended up at Poole).

Given the petty jealousies and back-biting that goes on now, coupled with the all pervasive "social media" I don't envy Messrs Morris and Vatcher their job.

Except that Christer wasn't the top man. Olle Nygren was.

The Jon Cook statement makes things a bit clearer and it begs the question why they did not just let him make the BSPA statement in the first place as he obviously knows what he is talking about :)

At last something sensible coming out of Idiot Central but this should have been done years ago.

Learning from the proper leagues at last but sadly as a byproduct of abject failure and a desperate need to cut costs rather than the forward thinking we needed.

But still welcome all the same.

Sadly the loss of Peterborough nothing short of a disaster and March is a long way off yet so who knows how many more will follow.

How well this new dawn pans out remains to be seen as the handful of top riders are not certain to remain in EL next year.

Will this result in a reduction of cost to the spectator as the Lindgrens and possibly Holders depart or any form of actual promotion of the sport.

A TV deal would be a bonus true but will the money it brings in be used to invest in the sport rather than pick up the slack in Greg Hancocks season?

Still so much uncertainty for the sport which is not in a strong position for the new season as a result of the lack of vision by the clowns in charge. Seeing the light because you are forced to is different to having a foward thinking leadership.

The BSPA are still a bunch of idiots but giving them credit where it's due these idiots have at last taken a step forward for whatever reason.

This is no new Golden Dawn of the sport rather a realisation that at some point when digging a hole you must stop or you will bury yourself. Let's hope something positive comes out of the 2014 season.

It's about bloody time to be honest. :(

• Like 1

Except that Christer wasn't the top man. Olle Nygren was.

Offical figures provided by the BLPA at end of 1971 season

Lofqvist CMA 8.75

Nygren CMA 8.12

The thing is that King's Lynn have spent time, effort and money developing both Lewis Kerr & Robert lambert, with there policy of bringing on riders.

Don't think you should go too overboard on how much King's Lynn have spent on Robert Lamberts development.The people who have spent most time,effort and money on his development are his parents taking him around the country and over the past couple of years over to germany to really get him going.Saying that,it will make sense in him riding for a local club,if he wants to.

The one thing about the young guys in the EL now is you have to stick with the system.It won't be a quick fix and at the end of the season we will have some great new superstars.Ok,maybe Lambert will be that anyway.But from my experience in Germany it was tried and dropped far too quickly to have any impact.Think the idea only lasted a season before they changed to 2 U21 riders of any nationality.It is clear GB doesn't have the strength in depth of Poland or Denmark,so at first some of the guys will be way off the likes of Lambert.This needs to be in place for a few years before we will see the benefits.Hope this isn't another idea for a year and next year we have the next new idea

• Like 1

Well that's nice ... neither he nor you will have to pick up the pieces when it goes wrong ... I admire Tai Woffinden for winning this year's world title having been written off by many pundits before the season started but that doesn't make him any sort of expert on the viability of a project like this.

T

On the other hand it doesn't make him any less of an expert than you. Unless you have a crystal ball I am not sure why your opinions which you have set out so dogmatically should carry any more weight than Tai's,

• Like 4

I am sure it will be corrected if I am wrong, one of the reasons for the conversion rate being favourable to come down was to help Brits with the cutback in EL fixtures now this has been rectified ..............

Keep seeing Robert Lambert's name mentioned, which throws up another question which the BSPA may or may not have thought of.

Lambert, I assume can't be included in this draft. But he turns 16 in early April, and then would be eligible to ride PL and EL.

So will a team be allowed to drop one of their reserves as early as April and bring Lambert into his place?

Edited by John Leslie

Keep seeing Robert Lambert's name mentioned, which throws up another question which the BSPA may or may not have thought of.

Lambert, I assume can't be included in this draft. But he turns 16 in early April, and then would be eligible to ride PL and EL.

So will a team be allowed to drop one of their reserves as early as April and bring Lambert into his place?

I was just jumping to conclusions as he is an obvious choice here.But ......what if he isn't in the initial 20 riders?How do you go about dropping one of these 20 and get a replacement?Will there be a list of maybe 30 riders,so you have a few reserve reserves?It does say only 20 will be chosen,so could Lambert will be in from the start and maybe King's Lynn won't start their fixtures until he is of age......

Edited by iris123

I am sure it will be corrected if I am wrong, one of the reasons for the conversion rate being favourable to come down was to help Brits with the cutback in EL fixtures now this has been rectified ..............

Not really, more of an imbalance between the perceived strength of the EL over the getting stronger PL.

He will just have to wait for next years draft!

And maybe they could use the draft system that American sports have! The team that finishes last gets first pick of the fresh young talent!

• Like 1

From what I am reading there will be two reserve heats. Previously the reserves only had an easy ride in heat 2, in their other rides they were up against the better riders in heat 4 for example two number 7's were up against the number 5's. Their average therefore was based on riding against better riders, but under this new proposal they will have a false average as they meet lesser opposition in two out of their 3 rides (assume minimum of 3 still applies) or 4 programmed rides rides (assume this is the same). My point is they could improve their average and go up into the top 5 based on a false average and struggle for a month or two before they drop down again.

"
There is a firm emphasis on British youth, as all ten clubs will be tracking two riders from a list of rising stars selected by national senior and Under-21 officials."

So it could possibly be alot of youngsters who could be picked as the stars of tommorow, Cook, Auty, Newman, Howarth, Garrity? I know some of these arent U21, but i suppose everything depends on if its gonna be a set criteria or flexible