British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

This will only happen if there are constraints on the riding order.

What is to stop Matt Ford putting Darcy Ward at #2 or #4?

Keep up, read the second line of my post again :D

• Like 2

Rule 18.1a

I did not know they had a rule to specifically stop Darcy riding at #2 or #4. :)

I kid of course but was just seriously asking whether they riding order was constrained to prevent heat leaders being jiggled about for away matches.

And now I know we do have a rule for that.

So teams can move #2 and #4 about but not put the #1 to #3 in those positions.

That gives the kids half a chance which is good.

They will also get the odd opportunity to pit themselves against heat leader covering exclusions and withdrawls which is also good.

If you look at the rise of Pawel Przedpelski in Poland, who was drafted by Torun a couple of seasons back and scored the odd point but was persevered with and is now one of the top kids in Poland who has regularly beaten GP riders,then you can see the potential benefits.

But this is the BSPA we are talking about and that sort of dampens my enthusiasm as they are nothing short of incompetents but I agree we should give it a chance. Maybe for once they will get it right. Crazier things have happened. :)

Keep up, read the second line of my post again :D

It is hard to keep up with all the ill informed waffle some people have put on here (not saying you so don't have aheart attack) as some kind of gospel but one tries ones best. :)

Edited by pandorum

Apologies if it has been mentioned but there is so much negativity on here I've only skim read most of it.

On the subject of will this improve NL riders, surely being in the same environment as top class riders can only benefit them. Whilst I appreciate that there are some purely selfish top class riders about, there are enough helpful ones around to pass on tips re tuning/riding lines/gearing etc for the youngsters to learn from. Even being in the same pits and watching the professionalism needed to get to the top flight has to be of benefit.

From the little I have read so far, I see this as a postive move IF the fans give it time. It won't improve things overnight but if it helps young Brits and at the same time allows clubs to have a more positive financial situation, what's the problem.

I have no idea who the NL riders will ride against in a match, whose asset they will become or how exactly they will be allocated. All will become clear in time. The BSPA have ALWAYS dripfed information from the conference it allows clubs to send out fresh info in their press releases during the close season to keep the die hards happy and hopefully get a few column inches in the local rag.

It would be an absolute delight if such a positive outcome were forthcoming.

Unfortunately my involvement back in 1993, and to a lesser extent in 1986, when similar moves were made, makes me very pessimistic.

Back then there were far more top line riders who were fully committed to Britain who could have been able to offer all the things you mention to the Juniors promoted at the time.

It never happened.

They were paid minimal monies and got diddly-squat from the 'big guys' in the team.

I have no reason to believe it will be any better this time.

Edited by Grand Central

If Heinz came out tomorrow and said "Business isn't doing so well at the moment, so we are going to use lower quality ingredients to save costs. The flavour won't be as good, but there will be more of it" then I would no longer spend my money on Heinz tomato ketchup!

Some supporters on here, particuarly the more outspoken members, seem to believe that we owe the sport, and that we should attend in times of good and bad, in a way that is true, but when the product has been drastically altered then that's not the case and as a consumer you should not accept a lower standard of product or you allow it to become a precedent.

I am not saying that promoters should run themselves in to the ground maintaining a league they cannot afford, I'm telling them they need to open their eyes and look outside of the speedway box. Watch how the world around you conducts their business and learn a thing or two about modern day marketing and the power of social media.

The Heinz Beans thing is as Humphrey say's a completely different can of stuff.Hardly compares to speedway.

Firstly you very very rarely if at all get someone in the food industry who is willing to pump endless amounts of money into a company just because he loves beans.If we equate Heinz with the BSPA then i am pretty sure if Heinz was fairing the same as Elite Speedway then a hatchet job would be done on the factories producing the product.Factories closed and staff layed off.We wouldn't be looking at getting in some young riders at reserve,we would be looking at closing down many of the tracks and putting riders out of a job.If push came to shove the Heinz boss might quite easily close down pretty much all British production and move lock stock and barrel into a cheaper country like Poland where he could produce the same product far cheaper and you would still get your beans on the plate.Now the BSPA can hardly shut up shop and move over to Poland or China or somewhere cheaper and still give you on your doorstep the speedway league you want......

• Like 1

It would be an absolute delight if such a positive outcome were forthcoming.

Unfortunately my involvement back in 1993, and to a lesser extent in 1986, when similar moves were made, makes me very pessimistic.

Back then there were far more top line riders who were fully committed to Britain who could have been able to offer all the things you mention to the Juniors promoted at the time.

It never happened.

They were paid minimal monies and got diddly-squat from the 'big guys' in the team.

I have no reason to believe it will be any better this time.

Let's be realistic. Why should leading riders in a team help develop juniors/newcomers? The juniors/newcomers progress and improvement means they will climb up the team ladder and force out the current leading rider who is training them.

Would you at work help to improve a newcomer in the knowledge that they as they become more experienced they will eventually replace you and as an outcome you will then be without a job?

one question that should be asked is will admission prices reflect the drop in Standard of riders in this League.

one question that should be asked is will admission prices reflect the drop in Standard of riders in this League.

Asked constantly and nobody knows but I watch the National League with Dudley and ID pay the same prices now in the Elite league to watch the 'Standard of the riders in that League Develop!'

Edited by Hunty

That's a worrying and new trend in regard to the 2014 season. Can you expand further? It's the first I have seen of the possibility you suggest.

In two words - Air Fences!

THIS was where the notion came from - and tbf Mr. Rising is far, far more in the know than virtually anyone else who inhabits this Forum!

Apart from me. :shock::wink::rofl: :rofl:

Only a few years ago, you'd have been watching 20,000+ watching Polish League on a regular basis, speedway as we know it in on a worldwide decline, we are just at the sharp end of that unsavoury decline.....

Thats because most of them are over here.

• Like 3

I think the reserves should race the 1 to 5's but they should go off the start line and the others of 15 metres, then at least you would get some passing in the Elite League.

I think the reserves should race the 1 to 5's but they should go off the start line and the others of 15 metres, then at least you would get some passing in the Elite League.

Good idea, but you would possibly have too many accidents with the lesser lights over riding to stay in front...

But of course the #2 and #4 position do not always feature second string riders so we will have the further complication of having to constrain team order.

And how would that be any different from various times in the past?

Not ideal maybe, but hardly the end of the world.

apologies in advance but I cant be arsed to read 58 pages of waffle,rumour and conjecture.ive just read the bspa statement about next season.

so are teams now going to consist of 3 permanent riders,2 double up from premier league and 2 national league juniors or has this not been decided yet.?