British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

This proposal will not help all young British riders as with the proposed draft list, riders like Ashley Birks would have to fit into the 1 - 5 of any team. Based on his performances with Swindon last season, he was struggling to compete with the reserves at that level & I am sure that there must be many young riders of that ilk who if in the 1 - 5 would have to compete against team leader riders more. I can't see how that would do their confidence any good & in all probability, they would be better reverting to just PL riders for the 2014 season.

Of course there will be teething problems with this new idea, isnt there always. I assume this rule has been brought in for the meduim to long term in British Speedway, it is not going to work overnight. Ok, you will always get the odd rider that doesnt fit, you will also get the odd rider who more than fits and indeed excells. The question is, is it a price worth paying. For me its 100% YES

• Like 5

This proposal will not help all young British riders as with the proposed draft list, riders like Ashley Birks would have to fit into the 1 - 5 of any team. Based on his performances with Swindon last season, he was struggling to compete with the reserves at that level & I am sure that there must be many young riders of that ilk who if in the 1 - 5 would have to compete against team leader riders more. I can't see how that would do their confidence any good & in all probability, they would be better reverting to just PL riders for the 2014 season.

As he will have (assumed from the rumours) 2 rides that will be against a reserve and similar level second string his opponents would be no higher standard than last year overall.

I feel for the riders in this as it seems they have to go where picked regardless and that's completely unfair. A rider from the north gets picked down south and visa versa

The fairest thing would be to give the clubs who choose their protected riders last picks in the "second round" (whether it be according to 2013 league position or, fairer, the PL average of the rider selected) & if their protected rider is an A category they should be restricted to a C category in the second pick (so if Kings Lynn choose Kerr they should be last second time around & restricted to a C category rider).

Presumably the A category riders will be Kerr, Garrity & Newman & the Bs Nielsen, Ellis, R Lambert, Wright, Blackbird & Morris?

Will Coventry do the decent thing & pick Jacobs or go for Garrity?

Swindon's first pick looks like Blackbird, Nielsen or Wright.

No Lambert is not a surprise. I am guessing that he didn't want to forgo the opportunity to ride in Germany or have the possibility of riding somewhere else other than Kings Lynn.

I do like this initiative from the BSPA and I hope it works - will be very interesting. I do think Leicester should have been given the first pick though.

• Like 1

So the BSPA list has 23 riders and no Robert Lambert.

I believe Lambert declined, maybe he'll pop up in a 1-5 somewhere?

Few others couldn't commit either

• Like 1

I believe Lambert declined, maybe he'll pop up in a 1-5 somewhere?

Few others couldn't commit either

Or can be added to the stand by list for when a rider is unavailable.

"and along with the three riders who do not get places in the initial draft we will be putting together a stand-by list for use during the season.

Should a rider be absent from a meeting, his team will be able to select any available lower-ranked rider as a guest.

What a load of rubbish. Never have I read such complicated crap in my life as this, and you wonder why the sport is in permanent decline. The clubs who have helped these young riders into the sport, should be given preference, and not governed by what positioned they finished in last years bias, league format. Surely these riders should have some input into where they want to ride, hasn't anybody thought about that??

There's been some ridiculous ideas from the BSPA in the past but this one takes the biscuit.

So the BSPA list has 23 riders and no Robert Lambert.

Surely you have to be 16 to ride EL.

Lambert will still only be 15 at the start of the season, so presumably can't be on the list yet?

• Like 4

What a load of rubbish. Never have I read such complicated crap in my life as this, and you wonder why the sport is in permanent decline. The clubs who have helped these young riders into the sport, should be given preference, and not governed by what positioned they finished in last years bias, league format. Surely these riders should have some input into where they want to ride, hasn't anybody thought about that??

There's been some ridiculous ideas from the BSPA in the past but this one takes the biscuit.

It makes perfect sense and is far from complicated.

• Like 6

Simon Lambert, Lee Smart, , Ben Hopwood

Belle Vue - Garrity, Halsey

Birmingham - Perry, Greenwood

Coventry - Jacobs, Sarjeant

Eastbourne - Nielsen, Worrall

Kings Lynn - Kerr, Rose

Lakeside - Ellis, Bates

Leicester - Blackbird, Halsey

Poole - Newman, Morley

Swindon - Starke, Ritchings

Wolverhampton - Morris, Clegg

my prediction

I feel for the riders in this as it seems they have to go where picked regardless and that's completely unfair. A rider from the north gets picked down south and visa versa

No they won't, and you know that. It's already been said their location would be taken into consideration when being allocated. :mad:

• Like 2