British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

There is no point in raking over past history that led to this situation , we are where we are. The choice facing us is more meetings at lower losses per meeting or sticking with the old 14 home meeting formula with promoters still suffering eye watering losses..

We are where we are but we ignore how we got from a 40 match league season in 2006 to the current mess and then think that those allowed it to happen have suddenly come up with a masterplan to put it right. Dream on. They'll still moan about losses, it comes with the territory. They also still run year on year although where they go from here at the 2014 AGM, God alone knows?

Edited by Crump99

We are where we are but we ignore how we got from a 40 match league season in 2006 to the current mess and then think that those allowed it to happen have suddenly come up with a masterplan to put it right. Dream on. They'll still moan about losses, it comes with the territory. They also still run year on year although where they go from here go at the 2014 AGM, God alone knows?

I never said ignore the past but this is where we are now and we can't change what's happened by moaning about it.

I never said they have come up with a master plan either. At best it is a transitional arrangement that may or may not be successful in leading to a more tenable arrangement. All I am saying is that the deal is cut costs to give more meetings and people have to recognise we can't have more meetings with last years line-ups and rider costs.. However much we want to we can't turn the clock back to 2006 .

I like both riders Brum,both entertainers both worth watching, Barker has his critics but he is worth watching and is excellent value.But to state that Ben is in a different league to Auty is a little strange maybe the Scunny fans would no more than us.From what i have heard at times Auty has shown glimpses of class certainly at Scunny his from the back wins.HIs main weakness is his gating and consistency apart from Tai and Cook for me alot of the Brits are all a muchness all good on a given day.

Maybe the different league comment was a little far fetched, but the truth is the same. Barker is head and shoulders above Auty PL and EL.

I like watching both riders too. Have enjoyed watching Auty at Scunny where he is very entertaining indeed.

However the stats and averages show a pretty full picture in this case.

As far as Brits go - i think we can really only put Tai and Bomber in a separate category, Cook and Worrall look the next promising to be exposed to the World stage.

Then Barker and Bridger still have room for improvement but need more consistency.

Auty for me falls well below them, just my opinion of course!

• Like 1

Maybe the different league comment was a little far fetched, but the truth is the same. Barker is head and shoulders above Auty PL and EL.I like watching both riders too. Have enjoyed watching Auty at Scunny where he is very entertaining indeed.However the stats and averages show a pretty full picture in this case.As far as Brits go - i think we can really only put Tai and Bomber in a separate category, Cook and Worrall look the next promising to be exposed to the World stage.Then Barker and Bridger still have room for improvement but need more consistency.Auty for me falls well below them, just my opinion of course!

Bridger has he not had longer at it than Auty? he certainly has reached his level.Apart from Tai obviously we all hope Lambert can really gatecrash the scene i am also really hopefull about Ellis i believe he has a fine future to.

Bridger has he not had longer at it than Auty? he certainly has reached his level.Apart from Tai obviously we all hope Lambert can really gatecrash the scene i am also really hopefull about Ellis i believe he has a fine future to.

Without looking at the ages quite possibly. But either way Josh has a long way to go to match Lewis in the EL.

Unlike some i am excited by the Brits in reserve scheme.

The merits and validity of the move is a separate thing to me.

I cant wait to see how the likes of Ashley, Ellis, lambert, Kerr etc get on and how much progress that may be possible.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Lambert will finish with the highest GSA season end (more to do with home track knowledge).

For me its been a long time in waiting for Brits to get a place in the EL in reserve.

• Like 2

I never said ignore the past but this is where we are now and we can't change what's happened by moaning about it.

I never said they have come up with a master plan either. At best it is a transitional arrangement that may or may not be successful in leading to a more tenable arrangement. All I am saying is that the deal is cut costs to give more meetings and people have to recognise we can't have more meetings with last years line-ups and rider costs.. However much we want to we can't turn the clock back to 2006 .

So it's the annual cut our cloth accordingly situation because we messed up and it's too late now. It'd be nice (not that it looks like it'll matter to me ever again) if they lost the scissors one year or actually purchased a new longer piece of cloth, but we know that they don't think like that - Enjoy your season!

• Like 1

Maybe the different league comment was a little far fetched, but the truth is the same. Barker is head and shoulders above Auty PL and EL.I like watching both riders too. Have enjoyed watching Auty at Scunny where he is very entertaining indeed.However the stats and averages show a pretty full picture in this case.As far as Brits go - i think we can really only put Tai and Bomber in a separate category, Cook and Worrall look the next promising to be exposed to the World stage.Then Barker and Bridger still have room for improvement but need more consistency.Auty for me falls well below them, just my opinion of course!

i don't think you can put Bomber in a different class Tai is in a class of his own where British riders Are concerned

May have been part of it but we'll never know beause Julie Mahoney said: “I’m very sad about it – everyone knows at times we’ve become disillusioned along the way, but this isn’t the time to go into that" - looking forward to opening my Readypower annual on Christmas Day, hopefully they spill the beans :)

I think you will find, or even already know, that Frost and Julie has/had already made acquisitions to go off in a different direction to speedway in 2014 already before the AGM.

i don't think you can put Bomber in a different class Tai is in a class of his own where British riders Are concerned

Bomber for his efforts in the World cup put him in that bracket. But yes of course Tai is currently in a very elite league of his own in comparison to most riders, never mind British riders.

Can we have a separate thread on the up and coming Brits ????

A lot of these guys are racing on tracks they've never even seen before, it'll be interesting to see how the season pans out and how they fare against hopes / expectations ... Who knows, if we have 3 or 4 Brits in the SGP in a few years this season may be looked upon as the turning point.

• Like 1

I think you will find, or even already know, that Frost and Julie has/had already made acquisitions to go off in a different direction to speedway in 2014 already before the AGM.

We never knew anything which was part of the problem. The way that they were seemingly treated by the authorities would suggest that they never knew anything either. We knew that they had been busier with Readypower but there was no indication that those dealings had any effect on Peterborough Speedway (except to make us considerably richer than you!). We knew that Rick was saying wait until the AGM but the vibes were good beforehand and there was nothing in the public domain which said that they were jacking it in. It was only the club statement that said that they had become disillusioned which isn't the same IMO as making an acquisition. It only popped out of the woodwork recently that they'd decided allegedly before the AGM to leave the sport.

This below certainly doesn't suggest a different direction, it sounds like planning (as the website says, see you in March 2014) and then pre AGM disillusionment with the dogs dinner approaching:

Danish international Mikkel Bech moved quickly following Peterborough’s closure to secure a British Elite League deal with Lakeside for 2014. The 2012 Monster Energy FIM Speedway World Cup winner was in talks with the Panthers prior to their decision to withdraw from the top flight at the BSPA annual meeting last weekend.

Edited by Crump99

Without looking at the ages quite possibly. But either way Josh has a long way to go to match Lewis in the EL.Unlike some i am excited by the Brits in reserve scheme.The merits and validity of the move is a separate thing to me.I cant wait to see how the likes of Ashley, Ellis, lambert, Kerr etc get on and how much progress that may be possible.I have a sneaking suspicion that Lambert will finish with the highest GSA season end (more to do with home track knowledge).For me its been a long time in waiting for Brits to get a place in the EL in reserve.

I am pleased Brum that the English lads are getting a chance, but for me this is the wrong way to go about it.I will support them and if a few make progress all good and well.But are some going to really make progress? by twice riding against they're own level they can do that in the NL.I have a feeling certain 1/5 second strings are going to have a field day against these lesser riders be interesting to see how it pans out are the admission prices dropping? they should be.

No they never had the choice they have been forced to pick riders they would never had taken ...the bottom line is Auty is better than nearly all the draft riders no matter how you dress it up .

?? :rofl: :rofl:

He's had his chance and hasn't made the expected progress. The draft MIGHT throw up a winner or two. The promoters DID agree to the draft (it was actually the idea of Chris Morton and others I believe)and see it as a long-term idea.

I am pleased Brum that the English lads are getting a chance, but for me this is the wrong way to go about it.I will support them and if a few make progress all good and well.But are some going to really make progress? by twice riding against they're own level they can do that in the NL.I have a feeling certain 1/5 second strings are going to have a field day against these lesser riders be interesting to see how it pans out are the admission prices dropping? they should be.

I agree its not a perfect way of making it happen but like with anything the guys with the talent, hunger and ability will make the most strides.

Even if one or 2 show improvement then its been a worthwhile thing to do.

Some might make progress, quite a few wont - that's just life tho isn't it?

With regards admission prices, with some of the top boys racing i doubt any will cut the prices.

Obviously we have a weaker product and therefore we should be paying less.

IMHO i reckon there will be less thru the turnstiles as a result of the moves and cost of admission.

• Like 1