British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

No Chris Holder In 2014 In British League.

Just noticed the press release refers to the "British League", without being pedantic there are three British Leagues; plus some other press releases refer to a "British League" do they mean the "Elite League" or have the "Elite" masters of ineptitude renamed it without telling anyone?

Just noticed the press release refers to the "British League", without being pedantic there are three British Leagues; plus some other press releases refer to a "British League" do they mean the "Elite League" or have the "Elite" masters of ineptitude renamed it without telling anyone?

The 'Elite' name was something Sky insisted upon!!! With that particular contract at an end, I guess references to the 'British' League are appropriate until the new League Sponsors (Sky/BT Sport?) are announced, when a newly branded League name will also be confirmed!!

For example, if it is going to be BT Sport, then some use of the word 'British' would make sense!! It makes sense anyway to me - sponsor or no sponsor!!

Edited by Skidder1

The 'Elite' name was something Sky insisted upon!!! With that particular contract at an end, I guess references to the 'British' League are appropriate until the new League Sponsors (Sky/BT Sport?) are announced, when a newly branded League name will also be confirmed!!

For example, if it is going to be BT Sport, then some use of the word 'British' would make sense!! It makes sense anyway to me - sponsor or no sponsor!!

You may be right; but why are we having to guess at it? Plus I can't imagine the football Premiership changing its name because of a change of sponsor.

Edited by Elephantman

You may be right; but why are we having to guess at it? Plus I can't imagine the football Premiership changing its name because of a change of sponsor.

it did it for sky back in 1992 instead of Division 1

• Like 1

Plus I can't imagine the football Premiership changing its name because of a change of sponsor.

So should at some point in the future the sposor become Vodaphone you reckon it'll still be the premier-logo-newssector.jpg?

Niamh

• Like 3

So should at some point in the future the sposor become Vodaphone you reckon it'll still be the premier-logo-newssector.jpg?

Niamh

Your post is so sad; I'm almost feeling sorry for you. The league is called, "The Premier League". The only thing that changes is the sponsor's name that is a pre-fix the league name. What are they going to do when Sky renew call it the Sky British League (sorry we changed from Elite when we thought you'd b*gg***d off!). Pathetic!

Comparisons with football are irrelevant. They've got so much money sloshing around at Premiership (or is it Premier League?)level they only need to pay lip service to a league or cup sponsor!!

• Like 1

Football leagues regularly change their names. What was once division 2 is now The Championship, while what was once division 4 is now division 2.

So I'd say it's very possible that it would change its name following a change of sponsor if the sponsor wanted it to.

The Elite League came into being in 1997. 2 years before SKY were to broadcast live coverage

The Elite League came into being in 1997. 2 years before SKY were to broadcast live coverage

I am aware of that and at the time there was much debate on 'losing' the word British!!! Sky insisted the 'Elite' word stayed!!

I am aware of that and at the time there was much debate on 'losing' the word British!!! Sky insisted the 'Elite' word stayed!!

is'nt the correct name The Sky Sports Elite League?

Not sure keeping British would have helped the marketeers promote the "Sky Sports British Elite league" though we would have got used to it.

The BT British Elite League sounds kind of ok...

Sure glad I have BT internet, BT sport free for next year :party:

Lets hope its not Premier Sports - there's enough potential confusion already!!! :D

• Like 1

Your post is so sad; I'm almost feeling sorry for you. The league is called, "The Premier League". The only thing that changes is the sponsor's name that is a pre-fix the league name. What are they going to do when Sky renew call it the Sky British League (sorry we changed from Elite when we thought you'd b*gg***d off!). Pathetic!

Football was division 1 until the sky contract led to those clubs breaking away, so yes football did change for a sponsorship deal. Cricket 20:20 was a tv driven initiative, so don't preach to me that speedway is the only sport to change for tv because most if not every sport has or would do

Edited by jimmy jimmy

Sorry but that's just not true. It's been called the Premiership in the past, unless a whole seasons worth of Arsenal programmes i've got have been printed wrong.

Sorry but that's just not true. It's been called the Premiership in the past, unless a whole seasons worth of Arsenal programmes i've got have been printed wrong.

I feel sorry for you now, supporting the most expensive team to watch in the country and trophyless for nearly 10 years.