British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

No Chris Holder In 2014 In British League.

I suspect you have never met him. As you cant answer a simple question, I feel I am wasting my time trying to have a conversation with you.

• Like 1

Its a great shame that British speedway is now third in the picking order of where riders see as the best place to race and earn a living. This goes to show how the promotion of British speedway has slipped over recent years. I dont recall seeing the likes of Olsen, Penhall, Mauger, Gunderesen, Neilsen coming to the UK as a third choice to earn a living or indeed Collins, Lee and Loram traveling abroad to race for foriegn teams whilst turning their backs on their UK teams. Quite the opposite, in fact as for many years the UK was the place to race and easily attracted the best riders to race here with top class meeting being held night of the week other than Sundays!

I am afraid British promoters have created this mess by being so complacent over time to the rise of other nations. I am not a fan of Poole, but I do admire the promotion, they set out to win and to do so attract the best riders possible, indeed, which other club has had more world champions ride for them in the last 10 years?

Instead of complaining about the Pirates promotion (& success) it would be far more productive if we as supporters pressured our own promoters to act with the same vision and determination at the guys at Poole. Such efforts would serve to drive significant improvemnts in the sport, increasing crowds, sponsorship and other forms of revenue which of course would then fund better racing by featuring the best riders...and so the cycle of improvemnt would continue!

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

I suspect you have never met him. As you cant answer a simple question, I feel I am wasting my time trying to have a conversation with you.

I don't need to have met him to have an opinion do i ? You are most definitely wasting your time as i have no wish to get into any playground games about liking a speedway rider or not..

I have work to go to shortly, so you can wax lyrical about him all night long if you like..i won't be on to reply.

Ah but i thought i disliked him so much ??

I dislike him. That's it. Do i have to name all the riders i don't like and give you a list of reasons ?

Yes you do. You don't say you dislike somebody without good reason. As for Chris's injuries. We hope, they heal properly, there is always that slight nagging doubt that they may not..

As for your Avatar, you need to change that, unless you are a fan of Doctor Who..

Edited by Starman2006

Why are they disgusting ? I haven't mocked him or wished him to be injured have i ?

I've simply pointed out what they were - They were broken bones - which will heal. However he could have had head or spinal injuries too which would have been a whole different matter.

You re talking completely out of you depth unless you have seen and can understand the x-rays. It all depends on the position and severity of the fracture. . Some ,riders have head or spinal injuries from which they recover well and are not necessarily worse than other injuries. Amongst other things Chris has apparently injured his os calcis (heel) and hip. These are both weight-bearing joints, and although you are content to dismiss it as "broken bones-which will heal" you don't know how well they will heal or whether they will heal in the correct position. With injuries of this nature _(i.e.to weight bearing joints) there is a pretty fair chance that he will never be completely pain free, possibly have one leg shorter than the other and/or always walk with a limp and quite likely be an early candidate for an artificial hip replacement. These are even by speedway standards very, very serious injuries.

If you don't like him just say you don't like him, no need to wriggle round by suggesting the injuries " will heal" when you don't really know and suggest they are less serious than spinal or head injuries necessarily. Time will tell but personally I will be very surprised if he gets back to his pre-accident level of ability.

• Like 6

Yes you do. You don't say you dislike somebody without good reason. As for Chris's injuries. We hope, they heal properly, there is always that slight nagging doubt that they may not..

As for your Avatar, you need to change that, unless you are a fan of Doctor Who..

Well my avatar has been the same one for 7 or 8 years, so no i wont be doing that.

You re talking completely out of you depth unless you have seen and can understand the x-rays. It all depends on the position and severity of the fracture. . Some ,riders have head or spinal injuries from which they recover well and are not necessarily worse than other injuries. Amongst other things Chris has apparently injured his os calcis (heel) and hip. These are both weight-bearing joints, and although you are content to dismiss it as "broken bones-which will heal" you don't know how well they will heal or whether they will heal in the correct position. With injuries of this nature _(i.e.to weight bearing joints) there is a pretty fair chance that he will never be completely pain free, possibly have one leg shorter than the other and/or always walk with a limp and quite likely be an early candidate for an artificial hip replacement. These are even by speedway standards very, very serious injuries.

If you don't like him just say you don't like him, no need to wriggle round by suggesting the injuries " will heal" when you don't really know and suggest they are less serious than spinal or head injuries necessarily. Time will tell but personally I will be very surprised if he gets back to his pre-accident level of ability.

I'm not out of my depth, but thanks for the input.

And i have broken plenty of bones including my back during my life, so am more than aware of the possible implications further down the line.

We'll see how he goes next season with his reduced workload anyway.

Off to work now...enjoy your evening on here everyone

No he doesn't. There is no law that states a man cant have opinions without explanation, that's the beauty of a free speech country. I don't like one of my customers, but I'm not obliged to say why. The real issue is Holder's injuries, and I doubt if anyone on here is qualified to comment on them, other than to say they were obviously horrendous. I'm sure everyone wishes him well in his rehabilitation...

should the title of this thread not be..... no chris holder in the all comers league.. what does speedway and football have in common... there are NOT enough british players/riders in it..

No he doesn't. There is no law that states a man cant have opinions without explanation, that's the beauty of a free speech country. I don't like one of my customers, but I'm not obliged to say why.

In one sense that is correct, but when you have a discussion forum and someone comes on and says "This is my opinion and I am not prepared to discuss my reasons for thinking this way " it kind of defeats the object of a forum for discussion.

I came to that conclusion after one response.

No he doesn't. There is no law that states a man cant have opinions without explanation, that's the beauty of a free speech country. I don't like one of my customers, but I'm not obliged to say why. The real issue is Holder's injuries, and I doubt if anyone on here is qualified to comment on them, other than to say they were obviously horrendous. I'm sure everyone wishes him well in his rehabilitation...

Lets just say his injuries were bad enough, thank you.

Well my avatar has been the same one for 7 or 8 years, so no i wont be doing that.

I'm not out of my depth, but thanks for the input.

And i have broken plenty of bones including my back during my life, so am more than aware of the possible implications further down the line.

We'll see how he goes next season with his reduced workload anyway.

Off to work now...enjoy your evening on here everyone

So why did you dismiss Chris's injuries as Simple injuries, if you know the posible long term implications. You need to think before you write. As i said, they were bad enough. Thank you.. Thankfully and i do say thankfully, he's still walking.

Edited by Starman2006

THEY were indeed and, as yet, we (and Chris) still do not know how well he will recover. There may well be psychological scars to contend with and it is easy to understand why at this stage he doesn't want to commit to up to 40 meetings in the UK.

The fact is that had the air-fence at Coventry done the job for which it was designed Chris would not have sustained the injuries that he did. He is understandably bitter about that.

Also, I cannot subscribe to the view that he 'owes' British speedway anything. He has given tremendous service not only to Poole but wherever he has ridden. Of course, he has been paid for his services but he is, after all, a professional sportsman.

He is at liberty to choose where and when he wants to work and frankly I find the comments of some on here nothing short of pathetic.

• Like 4

THEY were indeed and, as yet, we (and Chris) still do not know how well he will recover. There may well be psychological scars to contend with and it is easy to understand why at this stage he doesn't want to commit to up to 40 meetings in the UK.

The fact is that had the air-fence at Coventry done the job for which it was designed Chris would not have sustained the injuries that he did. He is understandably bitter about that.

Also, I cannot subscribe to the view that he 'owes' British speedway anything. He has given tremendous service not only to Poole but wherever he has ridden. Of course, he has been paid for his services but he is, after all, a professional sportsman.

He is at liberty to choose where and when he wants to work and frankly I find the comments of some on here nothing short of pathetic.

Thank you Phil. Although some can argue your second paragrapgh.

Edited by Starman2006

In one sense that is correct, but when you have a discussion forum and someone comes on and says "This is my opinion and I am not prepared to discuss my reasons for thinking this way " it kind of defeats the object of a forum for discussion.

Agree with that, but its not always easy to get a good explanation from a Doctor in writing... :D

• Like 3

Thank you Phil. Although some can argue your second paragrapgh.

DON'T see why. Had the air-fence not lifted when hit by Chris's bike, as it shouldn't have done, it would have absorbed and cushioned the impact of Chris as it was designed to do.

• Like 1