British Speedway Forum
skthecat

Weren't We Expecting A New Ruling Regarding Race Suit Material This Season?

Couldn't find any info on the FIM site above, I recently saw an item on fleabay which was ultra thin oversuit in Belle Vue colours, it looked like a very thin, very stretchy small thing that I think was for guest riders, you basically got suited up, & then slipped this over the whole lot, rather than the "blow in the wind" footy top I the club colours.. I cannot remember seeing this type of garment very often, so something was wrong with it or other....

The typical racesuit these days is kevlar/nylon mix I believe? Mine is as far as I can tell is all kevlar, quite bulky and fully lined, I wear seperate armadillo type knee protectors, and an upper body suit inc forearm, elbow, shoulder, collarbone, spine, chest and kidney armour stitched in. It offers good all round protection against impact, but it is not the easiest thing to feel comfortable in. Having said that, none of my protective equipment (except helmet and boots which are available size wise) were not made to measure and therefore are not a perfect fit, which I think has a lot to do with the comfort and manoeuvrability of limbs in my suit.... I would think all professional riders have racesuits made to measure, in materials of there own choice/quality etc....

Would that be a reasonable assumption??

Yes, it would be NTO. You supply all your measurements to the maker, and they add on an allowance for you to accommodate your under body armour.

Yes, it would be NTO. You supply all your measurements to the maker, and they add on an allowance for you to accommodate your under body armour.

You would have thought though, that by now, with modern manufacturing/cnc machining that Leather would be alot more usable? Stronger yet thinner and easier to stitch, printable, moldable and therefore better, might cost a bit more short term, but lastability wise? Last longer........

• Like 2

You would have thought though, that by now, with modern manufacturing/cnc machining that Leather would be alot more usable? Stronger yet thinner and easier to stitch, printable, moldable and therefore better, might cost a bit more short term, but lastability wise? Last longer........

A lot safer - certainly. :approve: :approve:

A lot safer - certainly. :approve: :approve:

It's the under body armour that is the protection, not the suit. There is a place for leather though, and a couple of years ago some GP stars including Hancock and Crump had it sewn in certain places. Moto GP circuit racers also use the thin leather and I think historically have possible for lightness and flexibility. I gather the real problem is the Nylon in the suits, at the worst possible places.

It's the under body armour that is the protection, not the suit. There is a place for leather though, and a couple of years ago some GP stars including Hancock and Crump had it sewn in certain places. Moto GP circuit racers also use the thin leather and I think historically have possible for lightness and flexibility. I gather the real problem is the Nylon in the suits, at the worst possible places.

I remember back in the mid 80's seeing Gordon Kennett at the beginning of the season, wearing brand new goat skin leathers, which were very thin looking and I doubt he had much more than a back protector! Having said that, the more protection the better!

• Like 1

thought it was ok for kevs , now crumpie has packed in..

There will be no rule change for FIM 2014 regarding suits. But they are making checks to get rid of nylon suits since it's never been allowed anyway in FIM events. It was never about re introducing leather. This info from someone who was present at a meeting between the FIM and most of the manufacturers.

As a supporter/track volunteer and someone that rides nown again would like Leather to be compulsory, at least in certain key areas of race suits... I have seen at close quarters what a spinning rear wheel can do to human flesh, especially through certain cheap suit materials.. Idealy they ought to be 100% Leather, but I would be a lot happier if it was put in certain suit panels.......

I'm a bit baffled by the mention of nylon. I was involved in grass track and drag racing until the mid '90s and nylon was specifically forbidden as both lining and stitching in leathers because it melts and behaves like napalm! Just curious when the regs changed.

If leather suit manufacturer sponsored Tai with a suit - I dare say many other riders would follow. Seems like a great business opportunity - and sensible for safety.

Ilkka Teromaa told me last summer how they burned their arsses when falling in the 70's wearing leather suit. Cant see how RETURNING to leather would solve anything. They need something new between the skin and suit.

• Like 1

Does anybody know why Kevlar was bought in to begin with? Is this enforced or is it up to the rider what kind of material they use for their race suits?

Freddie Lindgren said in an interview that old style leather were a bit unpractical due to that they are a bit inflexible which is a bit restrictive when it comes

to the riders movements on the bike. Freddie also said that leathers are difficult to wash properly which means that they will become quite unhygienic after a while.

With regard to leather suits, does anyone know if TNM Designs are still making riding gear?

Tried contacting them via their website but have had no reply.