British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Hopes For Our Sport For 2014

Having first witnessed speedway way back in 1966 I am as usual, apart from when I've been in Oz, bored stiff at this time of year and eagerly looking forward to the new season watching the sport I love at all levels from training tracks upwards on tracks of all shapes and sizes and different riding techniques required!

My one fervent hope apart from wishing all clubs/riders well and an injury free run, no impossible dream alas I fear, is is that the level of moaning and whining on this and similar forums without putting forward constructive replacement ideas recedes dramatically! :t::t:

What are YOUR hopes for our sport in 2014? :unsure:

Edited by Bryn

Having first witnessed speedway way back in 1966 I am as usual, apart from when I've been in Oz, bored stiff at this time of year and eagerly looking forward to the new season watching the sport I love at all levels from training tracks upwards on tracks of all shapes and sizes and different riding techniques required!

My one fervent hope apart from wishing all clubs/riders well and an injury free run, no impossible dream alas I fear, is is that the level of moaning and whining on this and similar forums without putting forward constructive replacement ideas recedes dramatically! :t::t:

Well said Bryn. An excellent comment - especially the reference you make in regard to moaning on this and various other forums. Many comments are "attacks on Poster and NOT on the Post."

My hope for speedway in 2014 - that we may be entering another of the long-term revival eras, as with the 1946 rteurn of speedway after the war years, then that great time when it was "born again" with the formation of the Provincial League in the early 1960s.

Edited by Guest

I would just like to see one more cracking maximum from Peter Karlsson before he finally hangs up his Kevlars, and to see Ricky Ashworth fully recovered.

• Like 7

Bryn,

I agree with your comments and when there is no speedway left in the UK, maybe some people will be happy. Yes it isn't pretty at times and I am sure that we all have ideas on how it can be improved, but it is what it is until someone really looks into what speedway has become and starts looking into the future a bit more.

I have two more wishes:

1) One which is dear to your heart, is that I hope the the Isle of Wight survives as a going concern. A great club that has lost its way a little and needs a lifeline to take it forward.

2) I sincerely hope that there are less injuries this year. It won't be solved by more air fences but by getting rid of those lethal silencers and there isn't much chance of that.

• Like 1

I would just like to see one more cracking maximum from Peter Karlsson before he finally hangs up his Kevlars, and to see Ricky Ashworth fully recovered.

Totally agree with BOTH of those sentiments E I Addio.

I would like also to wish for a SAFER Season than last year with much reduced injuries. Ideally I'd prefer no injuries at all - but - due to the nature of the Sport - THAT is an enormous ask.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HEALTH TO ALL OF THE RIDERS IN ALL OF THE LEAGUES.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

I would like to see all or most clubs become financially stable.

This scheme for Brit reserves in the EL to succeed and be extended to the PL. It may need a bit of fine tuning though.

Less injuries to riders.

The main body, presumably the BSPA, increase training for Brit riders paid out of TV or Sponsor income.

A fairer share out to all clubs in all leagues of any TV or League Sponsor income, that is providing Go Speed get any.

Closer meeting scores and exciting racing.

And as mentioned by Great Central, get rid of these bl##dy awful silencers.

• Like 3

Sad to see that Rye House are not racing this year after a lack of sponsers. What a shame to see another team fold up. They may come back, never thought I would ever see Leicester Lions race again but that happened so I wish them all the best for the future.

As for the amount of nasty accidents, I think that some riders are now racing in a far to dangerous way with no cares for thier own saftey or that of other riders.

May be just the way I see things but some of the riders and top riders at that race around like Kamakazi pilots. We used to have crashes but the ones today seem to have more life threatening results and a risk that the said riders may never race or be the same again.

I think that this year could give some very good racing in the Elite League, once things have been given a race meeting to sort things out. May 2014 bring speedway back to the eyes and ears, of Joe Public out there and get the people to our sport.

I have followed it for many years now and it seems to have lost its way a little over the last few years.

Hope the changes make 2014 a season worth watching. Would hate to see the loss of speedway, as it has given me much pleasure, over the years.

I have a number of wishes apart from the obvious,that no rider has a bad accident

1.A major wish that springs to mind is that i hope the scheme to get young British riders into the EL pays dividends and the majority can make a success of it and don't end up out of their depth or out of pocket.

2.Hope that whatever rules are agreed to are stuck to

3.Hope the weather doesn't play havoc with the fixtures

4.On a local note,i hope the risk Güstrow have taken in hosting a round of the SEC pays off for them and the stadium is packed(not too many fans stay at home and watch on tv) and the track produces its usual standard of racing,then all tv viewers should see a super meeting

• Like 1

This is crucial season for the Elite League. I hope they issue the new heat format and associated rules sooner rather than later and that the rules are unambiguous enough to avoid the usual bending and manipulation.

Sad to see that Rye House are not racing this year after a lack of sponsers. What a shame to see another team fold up. They may come back, never thought I would ever see Leicester Lions race again but that happened so I wish them all the best for the future.

Rye House most certainly are racing AS USUAL in 2014. It's that the club has decided not to proceed with a return for the National League side Rye House Raiders for 2014.

Rye House most certainly are racing AS USUAL in 2014. It's that the club has decided not to proceed with a return for the National League side Rye House Raiders for 2014.

It was me that got it wrong sorry on that one. Thought they had called it a day.

It was me that got it wrong sorry on that one. Thought they had called it a day.

No harm done. Have a good speedway spectating season in 2014.

My hope for the 2014 season is that the much vaunted, but totally invisible, National Speedway Stadium in Manchester, which will also be the home of the Belle Vue club, will at last become a fact of speedway life. There have been many opening dates floated by various people associated with the club but no sign of the building work commencing.

Sometimes I despair of it opening at all. An understandable emotion I feel after all the false dates given by the club directors.

• Like 1

You certainly gave me a shock. I thought I'd missed something. :) :)

Two things:

a/ good weather

b/ good racing tracks.

Edited by Halifaxtiger