British Speedway Forum

Father in law used to work in Scotland and got paid on a fri after the banks had closed. The only place in Swindon that would change them was M&S and only because one of the supervisors there was Scottish. Most people had never seen Sottish money and would not accept or change it.

Ahh me!! The ignorant English. :shock: :shock: :wink:

Someone told me that they weren't actually legal notes, but were honoured by their banks.

I was led to believe that the Scottish Bank Notes were guaranteed by the Bank of England.

Here's a factual description regarding bank notes in Scotland:

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

All that means if I go into a shop and get the shop assistant to agree, I can pay in magic beans. Any shop can refuse your terms of payment or equally agree terms of payment with you. The only issue comes with credit.

All that means if I go into a shop and get the shop assistant to agree, I can pay in magic beans. Any shop can refuse your terms of payment or equally agree terms of payment with you. The only issue comes with credit.

Thank you for that most interesting Article SCB. :t::approve: :approve:

Ahh me!! The ignorant English. :shock: :shock: :wink:

I was led to believe that the Scottish Bank Notes were guaranteed by the Bank of England.

I think - and it will soon be jumped on if I am wrong - but that possibly is a correct definition of Scottish pounds in regard to £sterling.

The definition of legal tender is that it must be accepted in settlement of a debt. In fact, even legal tender is not legal tender in certain circumstances, such as if you decide to pay in a thousand one pence pieces.

In answer to TWK, I think Scottish banks are allowed to issue notes up to certain amount they have deposited with the Bank of England. I think this is approximately equal to how many Scots pounds that were in circulation at the time of the Union, so the total value of notes has actually declined in real terms over the years,

• Like 1

All I know is that when I flew from London to Miami last year I had some Scottish bank notes that my uncle from Edinburgh had given me. The currency exchange folks at Miami airport didn't want anything to do with them.

All I know is that when I flew from London to Miami last year I had some Scottish bank notes that my uncle from Edinburgh had given me. The currency exchange folks at Miami airport didn't want anything to do with them.

Possibly I am again wrong - muffled guffaws in the BSF wings :icon_smile_clown: - but I don't think Scottish pounds have international currency exchange recognition.

Edited by Guest

I remember being in Yugoslavia and a group of holiday makers from Scotland came to the hotel and couldn't change their money,so one or two of my friends who were also from Scotland,but living in London took their Scottish notes in exchange for some local currency

Edited by iris123

The definition of legal tender is that it must be accepted in settlement of a debt. In fact, even legal tender is not legal tender in certain circumstances, such as if you decide to pay in a thousand one pence pieces.

In answer to TWK, I think Scottish banks are allowed to issue notes up to certain amount they have deposited with the Bank of England. I think this is approximately equal to how many Scots pounds that were in circulation at the time of the Union, so the total value of notes has actually declined in real terms over the years,

No, legal tender is what the courts have the accept. Nothing else. Many shops refuse to accept £50 notes but they are perfectly valid, legal tender.

Maybe Doyle,Davies and others tried to pay for their visas using Scottish fivers. :D

• Like 3

Am I on the wrong thread, topic seems to have changed?

Some people are getting confused with Barclays because they issue Visas..............................

No idea why anyone is feeling sorry for the Australians. It's not the BSPA's responsibility to babysit riders who want to ride in this country.

If I want to travel somewhere I look at the terms and any entry requirements. Straightforward isn't it. No visa - no entry.

There is an Australian High Commision in London and there is an up to date website. I am sure everything is there to allow the relevant visa.

Given that issues surfaced 12 months ago with Sam Masters then you can only deduce that Australian speedway riders aren't very bright ;)

• Like 3

No, legal tender is what the courts have the accept. Nothing else. Many shops refuse to accept £50 notes but they are perfectly valid, legal tender.

I understand from local shopkeepers in my area who have refused a £50 note is because forgeries are very hard to detect. I am uncertain how factual this may be?

I understand from local shopkeepers in my area who have refused a £50 note is because forgeries are very hard to detect. I am uncertain how factual this may be?

Read my posts 130, 132 and 135.