British Speedway Forum
hagonshocker

Rosco Team Gb Boss

Rather than just making one appointment why does nt the bspa set out a blueprint we can follow. For now Rosco is not a bad choice. Phil Morris is the prince waiting in the wings. Phil should have the widest possible mandate and budget to get the next generation through to a world standard. It should be made clear now that unless there is a change of circumstances he will be Roscos successor. Like wise someone maybe even a current rider should be being groomed as Phils successor.

As for riders we have to accept the current generation cannot compete at the very top ie top three or four. We have to look at fast tracking some of the talent we have like Garrity and Lambert. Set up test matches for them home and away give them a lions series in OZ find them places in foreign leagues so they can progress on the same playing field as their foreign counterparts. This is what the sky money should have been used for!

Rather than just making one appointment why does nt the bspa set out a blueprint we can follow. For now Rosco is not a bad choice. Phil Morris is the prince waiting in the wings. Phil should have the widest possible mandate and budget to get the next generation through to a world standard. It should be made clear now that unless there is a change of circumstances he will be Roscos successor. Like wise someone maybe even a current rider should be being groomed as Phils successor.

As for riders we have to accept the current generation cannot compete at the very top ie top three or four. We have to look at fast tracking some of the talent we have like Garrity and Lambert. Set up test matches for them home and away give them a lions series in OZ find them places in foreign leagues so they can progress on the same playing field as their foreign counterparts. This is what the sky money should have been used for!

Quite agree with you. Always thought that there should be natural progression through the various managers as long as there were suitable contenders. At the moment with Rosco being the GB manager, why couldn't Phil be his assistant. Phil in turn would be the U21 manager with Neil Vatcher his assistant. Other candidates could be brought in at a level with a view of them being promoted when circumstances dictate it. These later candidates could be taken to big events like the WC as extra assistants to learn the ropes by being given specific roles on the night. It's forward planning, but not as we know it(at the moment).

• Like 6

The likes of Kennett,Bridger, King,Barker(ect) are they world class in your opinion?.When you compare the likes of MJJ, Bech, both Pawlicki brothers Dudek just a few examples we are light years behind.The worrying thing is i would not pick any of the old guard just to get short term results Tai and Cook would be my only certain starters, for me it will be interesting the way Rossiter goes about thing,s.

They are not world class, but they should be able to beat the likes of Ricky Wells and Gino Manzares.

Yes, we are light years behind Poland, Denmark and even Australia but no one expects us to be competing at the top level. However, we should be easily seeing off the likes of USA and Latvia.

The SWC should be your best four riders, not for blooding youngsters. If young riders want to gain experience they should leave the relative comfort of the Premier League and go and fight for a ride in Poland and Sweden.

• Like 2

agree with both above,i know financially riders want to ride in prem as well, but im not always sure that helps. barker prem average has gone downwards, cook I think, should show more ambition by leaving prem lge, but as I say, I know why they need it

Apparently Cook tried to get rides in Sweden and Poland but was unsuccessful, partly due to his EL average.

PS like most Oxford supporters I think Rosco is a Tommy Tanker but as I posted earlier on this thread I hope he does ok I like a bit of enthusiasm and I feel he has it in abundance.

Still can't turn selling platers into Derby horses, no matter how much enthusiaum you have..Simples... But im affraid people will have to accept the fact that if Rosco does pitch some of these kids in the deep end then you will have to expect them to be tailed off. But im affraid what other choice does Rosco have.. When you think the lads like Cook Worrell Barker Kennet Bridger are still light years away from the Poles Danes Aussie second strings if you like, then you drop down further. So work it out for yourselves. We are miles behind the above, So if anybody expects Rosco and Morris to work wonders and pull bunnies out the hat in 5 minutes they are dreaming. We have just got to accept, we are not good enough, and the best we can hope for is the race off. That said, its now worth mixing the kids and say go out and do your best.. no presure..

But I'm still expecting us to beat Latvia & USA under Rosco, however far behind the top nations we are.

• Like 4

But I'm still expecting us to beat Latvia & USA under Rosco, however far behind the top nations we are.

We'l see...

We'l see...

So are you saying that those two nations have better riders than us?

They are not world class, but they should be able to beat the likes of Ricky Wells and Gino Manzares.

Yes, we are light years behind Poland, Denmark and even Australia but no one expects us to be competing at the top level. However, we should be easily seeing off the likes of USA and Latvia.

The SWC should be your best four riders, not for blooding youngsters. If young riders want to gain experience they should leave the relative comfort of the Premier League and go and fight for a ride in Poland and Sweden.

Dont agree at all, blending the youngsters in amongst Tai learning listening has to be the way to go.Ok would you do the same old same old,? beat say the USA is your BRIEF to Rosco go and be fifth.Also the PL is not an easy place to ride ask Doyle, Bech, Cook Cook is a fine example this lad is ambitious but to get a place abroad is not easy.Is Doyle not ambitious?he still rides PL he has improved no end have a longterm vision i recon be prepared to have a bit of short term hurt to improve overall in the future.

So are you saying that those two nations have better riders than us?

On the face of no, but why are they beating us? You have to ask that question..

Dont agree at all, blending the youngsters in amongst Tai learning listening has to be the way to go.

And people are going to have to accept, we are going to get beat.. But unless we do that, we ain't going to move forward.

RIght we had plenty to choose from is that right?

Last season, once Middlo picked his 4, my mum, a total speedway numptie who could probably name you about 2 or 3 current day riders could have picked 4 more Brits who would have had the beating of the Latvians! She could have gone with Nicholls, King, Barker and Bridger. All 4 of them are better than anything Latvia has to offer and are better than 3 (at least 2) of anything the USA had to offer.

Would we have beat the Poles, Aussies or Danes? Well the Americans got within 5 of the Aussies in the race-off so possibly but I'll conceed probably not. But in our best 4 we have Woffy, Harris, Nicholls and Cook. Thats a very impressive, very capable 4. Capable of beating the Aussie team they put out. I maintain we have the rider to be the 3rd best team in the World with a bit of "luck", prep and get up and go. We should be top 4 without too much effort. We ended up 7th FFS!

Apparently Cook tried to get rides in Sweden and Poland but was unsuccessful, partly due to his EL average.

Sweden and Poland assess foreigners overly high so there are no bargains. Not unfairly high but they take a cautious approach,. What do we do? The opposite, decide what they're capable of and round down. We should be doing what the Swedes and Danes have done for years.

The penny drops. Why did they beat us? Because Middlo went into a meeting in a foreign country with 2 rider who had a couple of days to prep. Now if he'd got the 4 riders correct in the first place, if he's worked wirth them, if he;'d got their bets out of them then we would have beat the Latvians and the Americas who were prepping for the SWC for months (certainly the Americans were) and knew which 4 were going to ride months in advance with Wells and Fisher who are no great shakes the chance to get ready to go out and beat the World.

If we beat them both under Rosco that will answer the question.

• Like 1

I recall England against Rest of the world, we were that good, now we cant beat rest of elite lge!

Louis

Jessup

lee

Collins

simmo

ashby

kennett

davis

Morton

Wilson.......how times have changed

• Like 1

I recall England against Rest of the world, we were that good, now we cant beat rest of elite lge!

Louis

Jessup

lee

Collins

simmo

ashby

kennett

davis

Morton

Wilson.......how times have changed

Wow yes - how things have changed indeed. :shock: :shock: :sad:

With the possible exception of Tai - I can't think of anyone these days who would rate at all in THAT company. :sad: :sad: