British Speedway Forum
stratton

Was Penhall,s Retirement The Start Of The Decline In Speedway.?

no camera angle gave me a positive view on that...do believe ermolenko got lucky in 93 in his final ride as well

When Bruce retired the sport seemed to be in reasonable shape, but once he retired the sport seemed to go into a downward spiral.The sport then lost alot of its superstars all within the same time span which did not help.Alot of people have there view on Bruce, i thought he was awesome for the sport and it was a massive loss when he quit.I often wonder would Hans and Erik have ever of won 7 titles between them with Bruce still about.? Maybe the sport was already being dragged down before he quit, but this is the point i believe the decline really set in.

More likely it coincided with more options for discretionary spending and IMO the bikes got too fast for the majority of tracks which date back to the 40s at the latest.

• Like 1

More likely it coincided with more options for discretionary spending and IMO the bikes got too fast for the majority of tracks which date back to the 40s at the latest.

Actually - I agree with this - by the Seventies definitely. They are ridiculously fast now hence all the injuries we seem to get. There WERE injuries in the Sixties and Seventies too but - certainly NOT as many.

Started by sidney, Jan 17 2014 09:08 AM

When Bruce retired the sport seemed to be in reasonable shape, but once he retired the sport seemed to go into a downward spiral.The sport then lost alot of its superstars all within the same time span which did not help.Alot of people have there view on Bruce, i thought he was awesome for the sport and it was a massive loss when he quit.I often wonder would Hans and Erik have ever of won 7 titles between them with Bruce still about.? Maybe the sport was already being dragged down before he quit, but this is the point i believe the decline really set in.

::: Has this gone off topic since the initial comment by Sidney (above)?

Edited by Guest

Oops!!

Sorry. :o

::: Has this gone off topic since the initial comment by Sidney (above)?

Oops!!

Sorry. :o

Why the Ooops! TWK? Were you in agreement with me?

Why the Ooops! TWK? Were you in agreement with me?

I know - but with your Post regarding sydney's Thread - I thought you meant I was going off Topic. :)

You were right - hence my apology. :)

I think it was the beginning of the end when they started letting foreigners ride in the UK. And it got even worse when they started letting foreigners ride for Great Britain.

But foreigners have always ridden in Speedway since it first began.

Correct. :t:

having watched the penhall/carter collision, LOADS of times in slow motion and real speed, I still couldn't say with conviction

who id exclude...at a push penhall, due to him looking for carter during that race, turning left down the straight, and I THINK, flicking his back wheel at last second,,,,1 moment wouldn't wanna be a ref

Penhall had him off. watch closely. That moment when he flicks the back wheel he swipes Carter's handlebars. It's one of those things that takes decades to notice, but once you see it then you see it every time.

With regard Penhall's retirement, it did have a negative impact on the sport. Plus, Egon Muller's victory the following year was also given negative publicity by there being no World Champion in the British League for the second year running.

It was certainly seen as a bad thing at the time.

I know - but with your Post regarding sydney's Thread - I thought you meant I was going off Topic. :)

You were right - hence my apology. :)

There's no need to apologise.

I think it was the beginning of the end when they started letting foreigners ride in the UK. And it got even worse when they started letting foreigners ride for Great Britain.

Correct. :t:

This is off topic but there were foreign riders in speedway in the days before it started in the UK at High Beech in February 1928. The best examples are of American riders who raced in Australia in the 1920s, the best known probably being Lloyd 'Sprouts" Elder who later came to the UK.

And to stay in topic, as I recall it a lot of glamour did go from the sport when Bruce Penhall retired.

Edited by Guest

maybe not just penhall, maybe love them or hate them the usa riders as a whole?

penhall, cook, sigalos, moran"s etc

Penhall, Autrey,Mauger,Lee,Olsen,Sanders,Sigalos,Carter, all gone by the late eighties a massive void.

• Like 1

Penhall, Autrey,Mauger,Lee,Olsen,Sanders,Sigalos,Carter, all gone by the late eighties a massive void.

Not to forget we then had the next wave and lost World champions Pedersen, Jonsson and Gundersen to injury.

• Like 1