British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Elite Riders Championship - 25/09/2014

Cheers for input FTM.

Only thing is, you say the damage was done last November. However press and practice day went without a problem as far as I could see. Lots of laps put in and track held up fine.

Cheers for input FTM.

Only thing is, you say the damage was done last November. However press and practice day went without a problem as far as I could see. Lots of laps put in and track held up fine.

Ok I wasn,t there for practice but I wouldn,t think that one week after it could be so bad for the Friday night Storm meeting. As is the norm practice tracks are put in as slick as possible so there must be an underlying problem. .Like I said there hadn,t been enough work hours spent on the remedial work needed.but I doubt if either of us will be told why :neutral:

The new track man may have had his own methods, What's to say that he isn't the track curator of Stal Gorzow, Torun or Zielona Gora.

Let's find out his real identity before branding him a 'useless pole'.

Marek something. He did Bydgoszcz back in Poland from what I was told on Friday night.

Start of a new season and STILL nothing has changed to guard against the British weather,and also guard againt the complete numpties running our sport.Track dryers,Track covers have all been put forward,but NOTHING 100% official to guard against meetings being called off,this is 2014 for christ sake,surely in this day and age there should be something in the rules that ALL Tracks must adhered to.You have to have covers or a back up plan if something crops up.

1 -I think sweden have worse weather then us,but they can relay their track with fresh material.

2- Why couldnt we have the reserse riders for the meeting go round on the track,that way at least we can see if the track is raceable or not.or even riders local to coventry in the elite league could be used just to see with our own eyes how bad the track is.

3-Why werent the alarm bells ringing after the coventry storm meeting? Did EVERYONE concerned in this event think everything was going to be hunkydorey?Im sorry but i just cant blame the poor track man from mars or wherever he came from ,for this.

Even if Horton wanted to have his own track man the stadium wouldn't go with it. The stadium run many different events during the course of a year, they are NOT going to let an non employee of the stadium work on the track. The track makes a lot of money for the stadium so it makes sense for them to have there own team. Whoever is the owner has made a huge mistake getting rid of the old track curator. As mentioned above he produced a decent track for P&P.

Iv,e been reading through post after post for about 2 hrs and I appreciate everyone being upset having travelled and wasted basically a whole day with quite a lot of outlayed costs now I would like to ask will most of you accept the position Mick Horton is in .At the end of last season Coventry Stadium wasn,t being sold and He has only been the promoter of the speedway so this season he puts together a decent team and is allocated the ERC.Mick has never been the Stadium owner it has always been Avtar Sandhu therefore Mick rented the Stadium to run Speedway as far as he new under the same system he has operated ever since he moved in 3 yrs ago.Two weeks before the season began he found out his landlord had moved the Goalposts by removing the Trackman who had been there for a few years and replacing him with an unknown Pole who has reputedly been involved at Bydgoscz.Now we have a massive problem as up until now the previous trackman (who is very experienced) was obviously fully commited to preparing a good track with out any outside interference and don,t forget last year nothing was being suggested that caused any concern reference selling the stadium.This year Sandhu is commited to selling up (although he has promised a 3 yrs cooling down period for Mick to find somewhere else) but He decided to change the track curator setup which he is quite entitled to do.Now getting to the track prep itself IMO the Storm meeting should not have gone ahead so close to the ERC but Mick needs people coming through the turnstiles to make running two teams pay so they did start the meeting. Unfortunately the damage wasn,t done then it was done in November at the last Stock Car meeting most of you speedway fans don,t see the state of the track after, believe me its extremely hard work after a dry meeting to get it back to a safe racetrack for speedway after a wet meeting its a bloody Nightmare .We all know how bad the weather has been all through the winter months and the track still wasn,t right at the end of February .I feel sorry for the new curator but it seems he hadn,t got any knowledge of English track conditions and was thrown in at the very deep end. As far as the BSPA are concerned it doesn,t matter if they have got an advisor there or not if the shale isn,t worked properly over a long period it ain,t going to be Raceable.

In my day it would have been Saturday if the weather allowed, and from 6 am Sunday morning as it was sunny most of the day, if it is turned over and mixed with a little dry stuff it comes better and better everytime you move it.IMO MIck has taken a lot of stick which he hasn,t deserved but thats just me ..

Thanks for your defence of Mick Horton, and I can see where your coming from. It must be very difficult to operate in the scenario you've outlined above.

BUT, and a big BUT at that, Why did he open the gates, charging people £25 a head, plus £4 a programme, taking people good money, knowing the track was in a bad state and the meeting would be cancelled?????????

Surely, Knowing the state of the track, he could have had it inspected earlier by the Ref or/ and the riders, and made that decision by 3pm and save people travelling and wasting good money on an event that was always in question.. THEY must have been desperate for the money and couldn't give a damn for the supporters.

The decision to run a prestige event at Coventry was a massive mistake by the BSPA. The track was once the mega track of the country but those days have long gone.

Recent years, the track has been rubbish-heap rubbish. The problem yesterday was exactly the same as when the Stars rode there last year. We then, had to endure 90min hold -up after heat 5, so they could repair that same patch back then. That meeting went on forever......

All the parties concerned, have obviously learnt nothing... What a shambles........

• Like 2

The new track man may have had his own methods, What's to say that he isn't the track curator of Stal Gorzow, Torun or Zielona Gora.

Let's find out his real identity before branding him a 'useless pole'.

He is a taxi driver who has used the tractor in Poland but never lay or prepared a track before

So what you're saying is the promotion didn't sort the track out but the stadium management. Like tonight at the ERC?

what I'm saying even if the even if the stadium being used by other promoters ie in this case the Bspa the track man still does his job .

Who won?

Sandhu & Frost :neutral:

Suggestion for Horton. Let the stadium curator do his job as normal and on race day rock up with his own tractor and track staff and follow him round. You have to find a solution to looking after your own business.

Cov track has had a hole on turn 1 for a couple of years that they refuse to fix properly due to cost. The november stock car date was run in no rain but had some afternoon rain and due to very bad preperation material turned to slop and caused more damage. Possibly why they changed track curator.