British Speedway Forum
PolskiZuzel

Speedway Champions League ?

Poole seeking to host FIM World Speedway league in April 2015 - Matt Ford announced at the club's awards night this evening!!!

Good. Get to see Stal Gorzow without having to fly out to Poland :-) KK, Zagar, NKI and Bartosz Zmarzlik (hopefully) would give any Poole (or Elit Vetlanda) combination a very hard time on that track. Don't think Holsted will be in the running for a top 3 place TBH.

Good. Get to see Stal Gorzow without having to fly out to Poland :-) KK, Zagar, NKI and Bartosz Zmarzlik (hopefully) would give any Poole (or Elit Vetlanda) combination a very hard time on that track. Don't think Holsted will be in the running for a top 3 place TBH.

Shouldn't be too many of the 'who rides for whom' issues this time with the teams that have qualified?! :wink:

Yeah, so how about something radical? How about looking forward to what could be a very interesting encounter?

OK, so there are those who don't see the relevance of this meeting. So be it. It happens in football too. Football's Champions League isn't all that relevant to Burton Albion fans either...get over it. Given a choice of having this meeting or not having it, let's have it. Let's go for it. What could possibly go wrong? :wink:

• Like 1

If the local Echo has it right today - it looks like Friday 24th April is the target date?! (Not sure why a Friday but that's what it says!)

If the local Echo has it right today - it looks like Friday 24th April is the target date?! (Not sure why a Friday but that's what it says!)

One for the diary then.

Edited by uk martin

Can someone who speaks Polish please have a look at the final paragraph here please? - http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/489109/trener-piotr-paluch-ocenia-mocne-sklady-torunia-i-leszna

That sentence = "Competitions were to be held in English Poole , but organization of the event at this point was brought into question." does not bode well...OR it may just have been squirted out wrongly by Google...A spot of manual translation would give it the answer.

Why does my heart dispair at the thought of an international competition falling apart as soon as it's passed into British hands to deal with? Wouldn't that just be typical? I just hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Can someone who speaks Polish please have a look at the final paragraph here please? - http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/489109/trener-piotr-paluch-ocenia-mocne-sklady-torunia-i-leszna

That sentence = "Competitions were to be held in English Poole , but organization of the event at this point was brought into question." does not bode well...OR it may just have been squirted out wrongly by Google...A spot of manual translation would give it the answer.

Why does my heart dispair at the thought of an international competition falling apart as soon as it's passed into British hands to deal with? Wouldn't that just be typical? I just hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Does anyone really care.

Doomed to failure from the word go and amazed it even got to the racing stage last season.

Riders riding in more than one team in different countries means logistical it is a nightmare.

If I want to watch my team I want to the riders that are racing for my team that season, not a select team of riders that have not ridden for the club years ago.

On the other hand if they are just trying to sell the competition to media other than speedway media they will know no better. If they can sell a great speedway meeting between international clubs and it turns out good racing then it's a winner! Onto the next year ......

• Like 2

Tis the season to be Bah Humbug for some I guess...however there don't appear to be too many line-up conflicts between the 2015 protagonists to it should be good to see Stal Gorzow, Elit Vetlanda, Holsted and the Puddle Pirates taking part in some good racing. Got a hotel room booked and am looking forward to making a great weekend of it.

And on the subject of great promotion, what a cracking video clip this is...and look where it appears - YOUTUBE - the place that is banned, "Strengst Verboten" and off limits with a wall built around it for all British Speedway Video clips that the BSPA / Ronnie Russell / GoSpeed International cartel can lay claim to

http://youtu.be/lhQG-ZieE8I

Edited by uk martin
  • Like 2

Poole were given the first opportunity to host it in 2014 but turned it down due to the financial guarantees that the FIM were demanding!! (I was told a six figure sum!!). No other British club could/would take it on - hence it going to Poland!

Matt Ford said at Poole's Awards night that Poole had again been given the chance to host it in 2015 and that it was under serious consideration, with April 24/25 the preferred date. He said the finances still 'frightened' him but he was prepared to investigate further before making a decision!

Personally, without some mega additional sponsorship/funding - if only to pay for increased temporary seating - I can't see it ever being viable in the UK, despite the FIM wanting the competition to eventually be a 4-round series!!

Poole were given the first opportunity to host it in 2014 but turned it down due to the financial guarantees that the FIM were demanding!! (I was told a six figure sum!!). No other British club could/would take it on - hence it going to Poland!

Matt Ford said at Poole's Awards night that Poole had again been given the chance to host it in 2015 and that it was under serious consideration, with April 24/25 the preferred date. He said the finances still 'frightened' him but he was prepared to investigate further before making a decision!

Personally, without some mega additional sponsorship/funding - if only to pay for increased temporary seating - I can't see it ever being viable in the UK, despite the FIM wanting the competition to eventually be a 4-round series!!

You can't put a price on Poole potentially becoming European / World / Universe Champions !

Edited by New Science

Tis the season to be Bah Humbug for some I guess...however there don't appear to be too many line-up conflicts between the 2015 protagonists to it should be good to see Stal Gorzow, Piraterna, Holsted and the Puddle Pirates taking part in some good racing. Got a hotel room booked and am looking forward to making a great weekend of it.

And on the subject of great promotion, what a cracking video clip this is...and look where it appears - YOUTUBE - the place that is banned, "Strengst Verboten" and off limits with a wall built around it for all British Speedway Video clips that the BSPA / Ronnie Russell / GoSpeed International cartel can lay claim to

Wow, superb video - not sure if I'm watching the same sport here in the UK! Atmosphere amazing, better than most footy matches. If only...

Wow, superb video - not sure if I'm watching the same sport here in the UK! Atmosphere amazing, better than most footy matches. If only...

Start the list of differences here:

1. Average age of a Polish Speedway fan is at least 20 years younger than a British fan. They are young enough to be enthusiastic, exhuberant, and energetic - and it shows.

2. Stal Gorzow had 4 riders in their team who won an SGP last year.(..is that some kind of record?) - British EL teams don't even have 4 riders who are of EL standard.

3. All team members including management and mechanics wearing team colours. Looking professional not like a scrap dealers annual convention like the pits in the UK.

4. Atmosphere - no comparison needed.

5. Huge fan bases - Stal Gorzow's AVERAGE crowd was 13,100 for all regular season meetings. Falubaz, Torun and others not far behind.

6. Communication - brilliant use of social media by the Poles. Videos on YouTube, regular updates on Twitter and Facebook...

7. Polish teams are supported by their town and city councils. British local authorities wouldn't care twopence in many places if speedway was to disappear.

8. Huge media interest. The latest deal for the Ekstraliga is worth something like £110,000 per team per year over 3 years thanks to NC+. Do British teams get anything off Sky any more other than the "privilage" of being shown on telly?

9. Polish TV coverage has to fit around speedway NOT the other way around like Sky insist on over here.

10. Polish teams are superb at taking their riders into the schools and community and engaging with the public. Bartosz Zmarzlik, Adrian Cyfer and Piotr Swiderski were recently involved with knitting needles in hands in a fans / community gathering, learning how to knit yellow and blue scarves. What do most British riders (Tai aside) do to get into the community other than an occasional "forced" PR stunt, and to raise their profile and the profile of their team and sport?

11. Polish teams are already involved with Winter Training. This involves team building, gym work, aerobics, martial arts instruction, etc. Stuff to keep the miind and body fit. Ever heard of winter training over here?

12. The list could go on...

• Like 1

Start the list of differences here:

1. Average age of a Polish Speedway fan is at least 20 years younger than a British fan. They are young enough to be enthusiastic, exhuberant, and energetic - and it shows.

2. Stal Gorzow had 4 riders in their team who won an SGP last year.(..is that some kind of record?) - British EL teams don't even have 4 riders who are of EL standard.

3. All team members including management and mechanics wearing team colours. Looking professional not like a scrap dealers annual convention like the pits in the UK.

4. Atmosphere - no comparison needed.

5. Huge fan bases - Stal Gorzow's AVERAGE crowd was 13,100 for all regular season meetings. Falubaz, Torun and others not far behind.

6. Communication - brilliant use of social media by the Poles. Videos on YouTube, regular updates on Twitter and Facebook...

7. Polish teams are supported by their town and city councils. British local authorities wouldn't care twopence in many places if speedway was to disappear.

8. Huge media interest. The latest deal for the Ekstraliga is worth something like £110,000 per team per year over 3 years thanks to NC+. Do British teams get anything off Sky any more other than the "privilage" of being shown on telly?

9. Polish TV coverage has to fit around speedway NOT the other way around like Sky insist on over here.

10. Polish teams are superb at taking their riders into the schools and community and engaging with the public. Bartosz Zmarzlik, Adrian Cyfer and Piotr Swiderski were recently involved with knitting needles in hands in a fans / community gathering, learning how to knit yellow and blue scarves. What do most British riders (Tai aside) do to get into the community other than an occasional "forced" PR stunt, and to raise their profile and the profile of their team and sport?

11. Polish teams are already involved with Winter Training. This involves team building, gym work, aerobics, martial arts instruction, etc. Stuff to keep the miind and body fit. Ever heard of winter training over here?

12. The list could go on...

Wholeheartedly agree ON all points bar no.9- I`m not sure the clubs have pushed for Friday and Saturday fixtures. What I would agree with is that matches will be postponed at the last minute if other meetings the day before are rained off resulting in rider un-availability-irrespective whether the match is scheduled for TV.