British Speedway Forum
PolskiZuzel

Speedway Champions League ?

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't know that your sources are confidential... still it's a great pity than even with a ( a possible) crowd of around 4,500 organizing such an event is not viable for Poole promotion.

DON'T have to be a genius to work out the costs ... four teams of five for starters.

DON'T have to be a genius to work out the costs ... four teams of five for starters.

Sadly I think that points to a lot of Speedway's problems. If a crowd of 4,500 (best possibility) is deemed insufficient to be viable for 20 riders that once again the inherent costs of the sport should be questioned.

Sadly I think that points to a lot of Speedway's problems. If a crowd of 4,500 (best possibility) is deemed insufficient to be viable for 20 riders that once again the inherent costs of the sport should be questioned.

Think most of the problems were dealt with on a previous thread a couple of years back.I know i was one who was very sceptical because of the costs.This isn't just a challenge meeting or series.This is an official FIM title and as such the FIM will want some money and the riders will also very likely want more than the usual pay out for this.So everyone in the meeting will be on more than a normal league meeting,plus they'd expect some prize money for winning etc.And as i have pointed out on a number of occasions the teams have to be roughly equal in strength.That really means the Danes have to get at least one more top rider in their side and they have only a few years ago cut back on the number of top riders to save money!!!!The other two teams need strengthening as well if they want to challenge for the title.Only the Polish side is good enough to really calll this a Champions League.To pay for that then Poole or whoever need to put the admission prices up by a fair whack and also need sponsors to help out and tv coverage would probably be essential.I'd guess there are few if any sponsors or tv companies interested

• Like 1

Such a "World League" with F.I.M. blessing should not be for club teams, but for national teams. A speedway competition similar to the Rugby Union's Six Nations tournament, featuring Great Britain, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Poland and a Rest of the World team. Aussies could ride their home matches in the UK, or elsewhere if they want to. Rest of the World could have their home matches in any other country, such as Germany, Czech Republic, or Italy. No problems with the allocation of riders, their nationality tells them for what team they have to ride.

• Like 1

Only marginally more than 16 riders and 2 reserves for a very boring individual or testimonial meeting...Surely a TEAM meeting and an international all star team meeting at that will attract a bumper crowd, big sponsorship, television coverage, merchandise sales etc etc that would make it all VERY worthwhile...in anywhere other than a territory ruled over by the BSPA.

Only marginally more than 16 riders and 2 reserves for a very boring individual or testimonial meeting...Surely a TEAM meeting and an international all star team meeting at that will attract a bumper crowd, big sponsorship, television coverage, merchandise sales etc etc that would make it all VERY worthwhile...in anywhere other than a territory ruled over by the BSPA.

Then no doubt one of the other clubs will step in and hold the meeting if Poole can't make the figures add up

The biggest problem is that all the 'foreign' teams' riders will want to be paid what they earn in Poland, Sweden etc, so I'm not surprised Poole - or any other British club - would think twice about staging it.

Poole were one of the keenest for this competition to take place a couple of seasons ago - as were Sky - especially when there were lots of spare dates in the fixture list!!! Not sure there are that many spare Wednesday nights this year when it could be hosted?!

Any 'off-raceday' could also be difficult as it would likely clash with the foreign fixtures as well as possibly meaning two home meetings in a week!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

The biggest problem is that all the 'foreign' teams' riders will want to be paid what they earn in Poland, Sweden etc, so I'm not surprised Poole - or any other British club - would think twice about staging it.

Poole were one of the keenest for this competition to take place a couple of seasons ago - as were Sky - especially when there were lots of spare dates in the fixture list!!!

Sounds closer to reality than one or two of the previous posts ;)

Edited by iris123

SKIDDER1 is spot on regarding riders' costs, etc. Why would a rider earning several thousand pounds per meeting riding for Zielona Gora travel to England a mere fraction of what he normally receives? It isn't just team strengths where there is a great disparity between Poland and the UK.

• Like 1

I like the idea but cost would be the major issue. Brandon would be big enough to host if its to be in Britain. Also if you add Pawlicki to the Poole side named at the beginning of the thread they would be competitive.

Edited by woz01

Then no doubt one of the other clubs will step in and hold the meeting if Poole can't make the figures add up

The other clubs are also in BSPA controlled territory.

The other clubs are also in BSPA controlled territory.

The other 3 clubs in this are certainly not in BSPA territory :rofl:

this particular comp is a million miles from reality on all counts

Well, a few hundred/thousand miles anyway!!! :D

• Like 1

MAYBE not quite that far ... grapevine suggests the meeting (involving four champions from Denmark, GB, Poland and Sweden) might be held in Poland... where else! Lots of discussions and dis-agreements currently taking place.

• Like 1