British Speedway Forum
PolskiZuzel

Speedway Champions League ?

I think the 'exciting new country' will not be somewhere we are used to.... especially when the website has an option to translate it in Arabian.

A sports management company has bought the rights to promote an annual oneoff speedway event that has had basically no following/interest outside Poland. Its also pretty expensive to host and with a most likely now with an added promoters fee. The company has previously managed two brazilian soccer players and stars on ice.

I'm so excited I'm about to pee myself!

• Like 1

A sports management company has bought the rights to promote an annual oneoff speedway event that has had basically no following/interest outside Poland. Its also pretty expensive to host and with a most likely now with an added promoters fee. The company has previously managed two brazilian soccer players and stars on ice.

I'm so excited I'm about to pee myself!

Nail on the head

In other news did you notice all the hullaballoo about the world club football championship?No,neither did I.Was it actually live on tv in Europe?and that is football........

A company wants to promote speedway. Well there's a crime against humanity isn't it?

Elsewhere on BSF there are numerous threads about the sport is under-promoted or in the hands of people who don't know how to promote or even how the sport is dying on its feet.

Of course when the sport is dead and buried the fans won't blame themselves or each other for the demise, they'll be blaming the promoters won't they? These promoters who are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

• Like 4

A speedway meeting in the Arabian dessert. Now that is a surprise, but surely a bit risky for the promoters to put this on. What crowd do they expect to turn up to watch this pre-season event in the UAE?

Edited by Bavarian

A company wants to promote speedway. Well there's a crime against humanity isn't it?

Elsewhere on BSF there are numerous threads about the sport is under-promoted or in the hands of people who don't know how to promote or even how the sport is dying on its feet.

Of course when the sport is dead and buried the fans won't blame themselves or each other for the demise, they'll be blaming the promoters won't they? These promoters who are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I'm not against promoting, but this competition is an unwanted/-needed addition. It's meant for the league champs of UK, SE, PL and DK.

Poole didn't even want to take part in 2015.

WSL is a 20 year old dream of a certain CCP member. Had it been brought to life then, it would either have been a HUGE success or died in 5 years. Now its too late and even with a contract I expect it to die. I believe that because it's a force fed date to a full calendar.

Edited by f-s-p

Talk about drama queen :rofl:

Matt Ford went on about it for years and then when it came about and his team had actually qualified for the thing,he didn't want to know.That is what the promoter thought about the comp. ;)

It is just the same with the biggest sport in the world.You just can't make up competitions and be assured of crowds and tv interest.As I said the world club championship went ahead again in about the only country that wants to host it,with very little interest from around the world.The final didn't even get as much interest here as a normal Bundesliga game.Didn't even get as much interest here as a 2.Bundesliga game.......

It is an interesting meeting,if the line-ups are good.But that is all it is.It isn't going to start any big interest for the sport in a 'new' country and like our Finnish expert say's it is hardly going to be a long term deal.We have had the sport in Middle Eastern countries before.Let's hope we can actually see the meeting,it is good and the riders make money out of it.But important,it isn't

• Like 1

Let's be clear about this Arabic/ Middle Eastern connection, it's only a supposition of one person on this thread. FIM EUROPE are still the governing body behind this venture so the chances of this going outside Europe are nil IMHO.

What I would like to see though is an effort to be made to open up a new territory like motorcycle-mad Spain. A meeting in Spain in the Spring is a very feasible proposition if the ambition and resources are there.

• Like 1

I'd agree that Spain might be a good 'new' venture,although we will have the usual suspects maybe telling us that Spain has been tried and failed a number of times.Just like the last venture a few years back,Forget the guys name(ex Arena Essex rider,i think) who had all his gear pinched and was robbed at gun point....

The trouble though with this is we have a seemingly unwanted meeting that has to be run by a new promoter to the sport.After BSI we had Onesport and all the internal problems a new company brought.Now we are bringing in another new company.It is getting to be a bit like boxing with different bodies all wanting their own titles.....

Russell Payne was the guy,i seem to remember now

I wouldn't be sure that FIM Europe can only promote meetings in Europe(and I thought Armando was behind this,so meaning FIM themselves) .We have had controversial talk here that Hamburg might have a Bundesliga match in Asia.......the local fans(season ticket holders etc)not being happy that Hamburg v Dortmund or Bayern might be played out in another continent,although Hamburg are saying it would be a relatively unimportant game like Augsburg......hmmmm

Edited by iris123

Let's be clear about this Arabic/ Middle Eastern connection, it's only a supposition of one person on this thread. FIM EUROPE are still the governing body behind this venture so the chances of this going outside Europe are nil IMHO.

What I would like to see though is an effort to be made to open up a new territory like motorcycle-mad Spain. A meeting in Spain in the Spring is a very feasible proposition if the ambition and resources are there.

WSL is a world championship event sanctioned by FIM, not FIM Europe.
  • Like 3

The FIM (Armando Castagna especially) have certainly been very keen for this WSL to become an established annual event.

Poole competed for it once (one round only in Poland) and came 2nd or 3rd I think? but chose not to compete the following year when a 4-round WSL (one round in each country) was initially being suggested. Poole's decision was based purely on the costs of hosting the UK round with a limited capacity and without a major sponsor to cover some huge costs (including an FIM financial guarantee!!).

Maybe with a new promoter and new sponsors(?) plus TV coverage, much of the costs can be underwritten??

There have been rumblings about doing a GP in the UAE in the past, and I think an ice speedway meeting (the mickey mouse imitation of ice racing) was held in Dubai some years ago. Can't really see the point of staging a meeting in a country with no tradition or interest in the sport though.

Speedway needs to consolidate on its few remaining markets before going and promoting mickey mouse competitions in new places. And 'Champions League' competitions will always be mickey mouse whilst riders compete for multiple teams that may potentially all qualify for the competition.

Even cricket woke up to this fact and scrapped the ridiculous T20 Champions League which was largely shunned by the fans for the farce it was.

Spain may, and I stress may, potentially be a possibility for a GP. However, the economic crisis means there's probably less likelihood of a local authority sponsoring the hosting which would likely be necessary to make such a venture pay.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

He's just gotta hope that he's in one of the teams that qualify are invited for it?!

• Like 1

For some reason I checked out some flights yesterday to go and see this. Too expensive ATM but tempted to make a comeback to Wolfslake after 12 years. Also kind of anxious and hopeful to see it NOT fail.

Edited by f-s-p