British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
James 12345

Riga Gp Tickets 2014

It's been raining there today I'm assuming they are just getting rid of the wet shale? Forecast for tomorrow looks horrendous!

It's been raining there today I'm assuming they are just getting rid of the wet shale? Forecast for tomorrow looks horrendous!

It looks like they are trying to fill in a crater.

AFTER heavy rain throughout the week and overnight, an early decision was taken by the Jury to cancel practice today and run a curtailed version at 12 noon on Saturday.

The inside line around bends one and two was very soft and it was decided to dig out to about one metre, relay with dry material and then pack it down.

The weather forecasts aren't too clever right now.

Been told that 4,000 tickets have been sold for a stadium with a capacity of 8,000. Obviously a huge amount of work has been carried out here and the main grandstands (eight sections) are all fitted with new seats. Along the back straight temporary stands are still being built as I write!

We are going to be in the lap of the gods. Too much rain and the track will be severely compromised.

This has disaster written all over it!

rubbish track will suit the Brits. Greg won't like it - unless due to rain they really pack it down and make it super slick in which case it'll suit Greg. All good fun for us for the next 24 hours as we speculate :D

rubbish track will suit the Brits. Greg won't like it - unless due to rain they really pack it down and make it super slick in which case it'll suit Greg. All good fun for us for the next 24 hours as we speculate :D

That's why I'm gonna wait until the last minute to put my picks in... ;):D

6pm here now and it has stopped raining. Track looks much better than it did a few hours ago but still the weather tomorrow will be critical.

This GP has been a disaster from the start, surprised BSI let it get to this stage, up to last week the place was still a building site with no floodlights etc. If tomorrow does go ahead the track is bound to be soft and cut up, with it being narrow and square bends can see it being a nightmare

This GP has been a disaster from the start, surprised BSI let it get to this stage, up to last week the place was still a building site with no floodlights etc. If tomorrow does go ahead the track is bound to be soft and cut up, with it being narrow and square bends can see it being a nightmare

No doubt though that Phil will find a rider or two who will say it looked brilliant before the rain came......and if it goes ahead,it will be much better next year for the SWC is another promise .Bets anyone? :rofl:

Like you say, it looked like a disaster from the first photos......and enough people said so

NOTHING wrong with the stadium as such, the grandstands are excellent, as is viewing in general, the floodlights were always going to be temporary. I wouldn't say that the bends are square and the track isn't narrow (meets FIM standards) although the straights are long.

Wouldn't argue that ultimately it is the track itself which matters most and by all accounts they have had bucket loads of rain here this week, overnight and again this afternoon.

Not sure the local promotion, who are working very hard to establish speedway back in Riga, which is after all a major city and a great place to visit, deserve stick for matters which ultimately are out of their control.

Even the millions spent on the home of Lancashire cricket couldn't prevent a stoppage of play when the sun was actually shining in Manchester last week.

Of course it resembled a building site last week because it was. Even today they were still putting in temporary stands along the back straight, photographers' platforms and so on.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

Of the photos I seen the track and stands looked decent enough. Rain obviously doesn't help track Prep.