British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

Fim Bans Participation In European Championships

According to sportowefakty.pl The International Motorcycling Federation passed a resolution over last weekend, which prohibits representatives of all disciplines (including speedway) to compete in any other events than those under FIM jurisdiction.

FIM decision became public only yesterday (Wednesday) and it will carry dire consequences not only for speedway, but all disciplines affiliated to the FIM! Under this decision, riders taking part in the world championships events will not be able to compete in European championships.

For speedway, Vito Ippolito’s decision ( he is the FIM president ) means that riders will have to choose whether to compete in the Speedway Grand Prix or Speedway European Championships !

FIM has made its decision without consulting its subordinate committees and its content has not yet been sent to the national federations. It is now incorporated into the regulations and will be be sent to interested parties in the coming days.

The FIM resolution of the FIM can also have dire consequences for such disciplines as longtrack and grass track speedway . This decision also puts into question existence and functioning of the FIM Europe.

The FIM decision is also an obvious attack on the One Sport company, whose conflict with the organizer Grand Prix - BSI has been known for a long time.

The question now is what about those riders who have already confirmed their participation in events organized by One Sport ( Emil Sajfutdinow Emil and Nicki Pedersen, among others ), and also had the intention to compete in the SGP.

I can't see any other way out then that FIm and their actions will be taken to court where they most likely will loose.

As far as Europe and the EU goes FIm cannot ban riders from participating in events of competing Federations.

We have/had a similar situation in Sweden where Swedish federation SVEMO tried to block riders with a Svemo license

from participating in events organized by Swedish Folk speedway/Swedish Motorsport alliance.

This was taken to Swedish court were it was deemed to violate the rules of free movement of goods and services within the European Union.

So I can't see how this could be anything different. And it will also be interesting to see what happens if the riders start to violate this,

Are they really going to ban riders like Woffinden, Hampel, Pedersen, Iversen, Jonsson if they would ride in i,e. best pairs event?

• Like 2

I have no idea what organisations control the sport but there seems to be too many, some of which seem to have conflicting interests and will this decision lead to the same situation when K Packer put two fingers up to the authorities and changed cricket. At the end of the day the riders have the power and if many leave the GP and ride in the SEC can any sanctions be imposed on them re their league or international racing.

As Ghostwalker comments court actions may be taken up if riders are penalized for riding in both the GP and SEC.

If the fim bans riders who ride in the SEC from riding in the GPs then they may split the sport and would One Sport set up its own World Championship.

Do BSI give any money to the bodies that control the sport in each country ? If not they may find that any help and support for them disappeares.

Edited by A ORLOV

Im starting to have a very strong feeling that federations are just running their own things. Sports that they are representing is just an act..

"The FIM decision is also an obvious attack on the One Sport company, whose conflict with the organizer Grand Prix - BSI has been known for a long time."

Typical Sportowefakty propoganda.... FIM and BSI are bad boys bla bla blaaa. I'm not to sure about this, does anyone have an official FIM statement?

THAT'S the problem ... the FIM are as bad as the BSPA in making official statements when they come to decisions that should be placed in the public domain.

It is well known that sportowefakty are the mouthpiece of OneSport and that there are Polish members of the FIM who are believed to leak information to them.

It is no surprise if the FIM have gone down this route, which was sparked by an internal battle with their European cousins who, it is alleged, were acting beyond their brief. However, as stated here before, the horse has already bolted. Riders took part in both competitions last year so some sort of legal battle will surely follow. Who will fund that remains to be seen.

BSI, who have played no part in this, have continually warned the FIM of the possible consequences of a costly legal battle. They don't want to see the riders put in such an invidious position and realise that they could be some who will opt out of the SGP.

What is still not clear is what sanctions the FIM believe they have in their locker should any rider make that decision having already entered the SGP. That could be the key.

The fact remains that the FIM should have acted as soon as FIM Europe and OneSport struck their original deal. They weren't on the ball then and this can only end in tears.

In answer to A ORLOV ... BSI do not give money to individual federations but pay the FIM direct. Inscription fees for SGP meetings are almost 20,000 euros as against the 1,500 paid by One Sport for SEC rounds. The FIM also glean money from riders' licence fees, etc.

• Like 2

THAT'S the problem ... the FIM are as bad as the BSPA in making official statements when they come to decisions that should be placed in the public domain.

It is well known that sportowefakty are the mouthpiece of OneSport and that there are Polish members of the FIM who are believed to leak information to them.

It is no surprise if the FIM have gone down this route, which was sparked by an internal battle with their European cousins who, it is alleged, were acting beyond their brief. However, as stated here before, the horse has already bolted. Riders took part in both competitions last year so some sort of legal battle will surely follow. Who will fund that remains to be seen.

BSI, who have played no part in this, have continually warned the FIM of the possible consequences of a costly legal battle. They don't want to see the riders put in such an invidious position and realise that they could be some who will opt out of the SGP.

What is still not clear is what sanctions the FIM believe they have in their locker should any rider make that decision having already entered the SGP. That could be the key.

The fact remains that the FIM should have acted as soon as FIM Europe and OneSport struck their original deal. They weren't on the ball then and this can only end in tears.

In answer to A ORLOV ... BSI do not give money to individual federations but pay the FIM direct. Inscription fees for SGP meetings are almost 20,000 euros as against the 1,500 paid by One Sport for SEC rounds. The FIM also glean money from riders' licence fees, etc.

You have said this before but I find it very hard to believe (not your fault though as I assume that it is what they tell you) since it only seems to have arisen as a concern after

last year's successful European Championship. The EC is not a new competition so why suddenly has the riders doing both SGP and EC become a problem for FIM?

Look at Rally cross, they have a WC, a EC and national championships. Although to my knowledge no driver is doing both series (too much costs I would assume)

if a couple drivers would want to do both, I don't think the FIA would have anything against it.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 1

FOGO and NICE have pulled the plug out of their SGP (rider) sponsorships, according to Sportowefakty ....

Edited by DutchGrasstrack

GHOSTWALKER... as much as BSI resent the way a European Championship was allowed to come into being and are annoyed (furious is probably a better word) with the FIM for not acting at the outset, they realise this is a matter for the FIM and will not do anything that could have legal repercussions for themselves.

How successful was last year's SEC? That is also open to debate. Various individuals and organisations in Poland are desperate to flex their muscles but for how long?

I actually think BSI would prefer, given where we are, to let the SEC take its course and see where they are in a year or two.

• Like 1

Surely 'FIM Europe' only exists with the approval/ratification of the full FIM?!

If FIM Europe have agreed to events 'outside their remit', Can't FIM just disband FIM Europe and be done with it!?

"The FIM decision is also an obvious attack on the One Sport company, whose conflict with the organizer Grand Prix - BSI has been known for a long time."

Typical Sportowefakty propoganda.... FIM and BSI are bad boys bla bla blaaa. I'm not to sure about this, does anyone have an official FIM statement?

We get propaganda from both sides.You have got an FIM pass,so will you be unbiased on this? :P

It is a power struggle and will carry on for a while.It is only the sport that suffers.....same as the local Hamburg football team is suffering at the moment with a power struggle going on.Couple of Dutch guys involved in that as well :D

• Like 1

I just find it a bit hard to understand what FIM is trying to get from this? More tv-time cant really hurt speedway? Without best riders SEC will stay as 2nd class meeting.

Surely 'FIM Europe' only exists with the approval/ratification of the full FIM?!

If FIM Europe have agreed to events 'outside their remit', Can't FIM just disband FIM Europe and be done with it!?

PROBABLY only speedway that they are having trouble with!

According to sportowefakty.pl The International Motorcycling Federation passed a resolution over last weekend, which prohibits representatives of all disciplines (including speedway) to compete in any other events than those under FIM jurisdiction.

FIM decision became public only yesterday (Wednesday) and it will carry dire consequences not only for speedway, but all disciplines affiliated to the FIM! Under this decision, riders taking part in the world championships events will not be able to compete in European championships.

For speedway, Vito Ippolito’s decision ( he is the FIM president ) means that riders will have to choose whether to compete in the Speedway Grand Prix or Speedway European Championships !

FIM has made its decision without consulting its subordinate committees and its content has not yet been sent to the national federations. It is now incorporated into the regulations and will be be sent to interested parties in the coming days.

The FIM resolution of the FIM can also have dire consequences for such disciplines as longtrack and grass track speedway . This decision also puts into question existence and functioning of the FIM Europe.

The FIM decision is also an obvious attack on the One Sport company, whose conflict with the organizer Grand Prix - BSI has been known for a long time.

The question now is what about those riders who have already confirmed their participation in events organized by One Sport ( Emil Sajfutdinow Emil and Nicki Pedersen, among others ), and also had the intention to compete in the SGP.

Or is this a direct attack on FIM Europe who sold more to to One Sport than was in their right? By this I mean, that a more in depht knowledge of speedway by the people in the process of the negotiations would have seen some of these problems coming. So basically I'm saying that the deal was made or signed by inept people on FIM Europe's side.

I can't see any other way out then that FIm and their actions will be taken to court where they most likely will loose.

As far as Europe and the EU goes FIm cannot ban riders from participating in events of competing Federations.

We have/had a similar situation in Sweden where Swedish federation SVEMO tried to block riders with a Svemo license

from participating in events organized by Swedish Folk speedway/Swedish Motorsport alliance.

This was taken to Swedish court were it was deemed to violate the rules of free movement of goods and services within the European Union.

So I can't see how this could be anything different. And it will also be interesting to see what happens if the riders start to violate this,

Are they really going to ban riders like Woffinden, Hampel, Pedersen, Iversen, Jonsson if they would ride in i,e. best pairs event?

When you buy a license from your federation, you at the same time promise to act according to the rules. In this case, Svemo should/could have revoked their license in Svemo. That would have meant (unless swedish folk speedway is a member of UEM or FIm, which I seriously doubt) that the riders in question would not have been allowed to ride in any outside SFS meetings.

We get propaganda from both sides.You have got an FIM pass,so will you be unbiased on this? :P

I have them both... :icon_smile_clown:

To Breams comment about the federations... There's a lot of good in the system and the way it is built. This current saga between the two big just points all the bad things and basically covers all the good in crap.

Last night (Feb 12th) I was forwarded a press release signed by Isabelle at FIM stating on rule changes in the longtrack GP... It was dated Feb 9th. So far there's no mention of this news ANYWHERE, not even on the German sites that cover the sport REALLY well...

I mean WTF, was it just written for fun or in case such a change would go through... :neutral: