British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

A sorry tale to be sure.

I just asked my missus if she knew who the Mayor of Rugby was these days. She just about dissolved in fits of laughter when I told her it was Gillias (suffice to say that he was the landlord of the flat on Cambridge Rd when I first met her. I'll leave it at that or I'll only get myself in trouble :lol: ).

I expect the new housing estate will have two outlets onto the Rugby Road, both served with roundabouts, and I doubt very much whether there will be anything but a minor impact on traffic flows - it's really not the busiest road most of the time.

The fact that Gillias was a bit-part rider cuts little ice. He'll be led by his 'constituents' in the Binley Woods and Revel Ward that he serves. It would be naive to think that he'd upset that little lot for the sake of a motorsports operation that he owes nowt to. I really hope i'm wrong, but somehow doubt it.

(edited for typo)

Edited by FranktonBee

there is no point trying to stop the development, all it does is burn valuable time looking for a new location.

and that's my biggest concern, i cant see anywhere that would accept a new stadium.

the three years is i suspect as long as you go quietly, thats why there is such a positive spin coming out of Brandon.

i know to build a track/stadium wouldnt take long but the issue would be three years is nothing to find a plot of land.

as an ex binley woods resident and someone who lived on the rugby road, i know what resistance there will be, but ultimately will fail.

the big question that needs answering this summer is the new location.

if the stox are moving too then that narrows down the options significantly, because they make a massive amount of noise, and then the dogs moving too, means the plot of land needs to be even bigger.

having lived in the area all my life i cannot see where it would go and be accepted by locals.

The question shouldn't be about land or planning permission, The question should be, Who's going to fund it?

Sandhu = No.. Him helping means he will pass on his contacts

Horton = No chance he has that sort of money on him.

Edited by Hougaard Racing Fans

there is no point trying to stop the development, all it does is burn valuable time looking for a new location.

and that's my biggest concern, i cant see anywhere that would accept a new stadium.

the three years is i suspect as long as you go quietly, thats why there is such a positive spin coming out of Brandon.

i know to build a track/stadium wouldnt take long but the issue would be three years is nothing to find a plot of land.

as an ex binley woods resident and someone who lived on the rugby road, i know what resistance there will be, but ultimately will fail.

the big question that needs answering this summer is the new location.

if the stox are moving too then that narrows down the options significantly, because they make a massive amount of noise, and then the dogs moving too, means the plot of land needs to be even bigger.

having lived in the area all my life i cannot see where it would go and be accepted by locals.

I mentioned in an earlier post, Rockingham Raceway, someone mentioned the Coventry football team is currently ground sharing with Northampton. Assuming Rockingham might be interested, what is your view Phil?

The question shouldn't be about land or planning permission, The question should be, Who's going to fund it?

Sandhu = No.. Him helping means he will pass on his contacts

Horton = No chance he has that sort of money on him.

I agree, the fans need to find out what is actually on the table from Mr Sandhu, Mr Horton, Stocks people and dog people. Without knowing this it is stabbing in the dark.

The sad truth is that if an alternative venue has not been found( and that is unlikely) by the time Brandon closes there is unlikely to be Speedway in Coventry again at least for the foreseeable future. Arguably another if unintended victory for BSPA mafia.

• Like 1

The sad truth is that if an alternative venue has not been found( and that is unlikely) by the time Brandon closes there is unlikely to be Speedway in Coventry again at least for the foreseeable future. Arguably another if unintended victory for BSPA mafia.

If the Coventry fans are only on a 'stay of execution', perhaps the only weapon they have to try and force the various stakeholders to continue racing beyond 2015, is to threaten to stay away and not support, unless they have that assurance. After all, what other weapon do they have and the supporters have nothing to lose. If Mr Sandhu is being honest about his intentions, those intentions may be more cemented.

To put into context how little time there is for Coventry to have a new speedway stadium up-&-running, it's already 16-months (October 2012) since the FIM awarded Belle Vue's new stadium the 2013 World Cup Final, only for that to prove far too quick for its development.

If Belle Vue, having known enough about their new site back in 2012 to bid for it hosting a global event, won't be racing in their new home until 2015 at the earliest, what chance do Coventry have of racing in a new home in 2017 when they're only at the stage of inviting fans to suggest possible new sites here in 2014 ? !!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, although the stadium management at Brandon are hopeful (in the Coventry Telegraph article a few posts above) about staging greyhound racing there this Friday & Saturday, they're in a very grey area with the Greyhound Board of Great Britain about whether those meetings can be officially licenced.

In today's Racing Post, the Brandon management have made it clear the previous dogs promoter Harry Findlay is nothing to do with this swift revival (and they've publicly thanked him for his past efforts).

But the GBGB would normally require "fit and proper" checks to be made on any incoming new promoter(s) which would clearly delay any resumption for at least a few weeks while any interviews and paperwork are sorted out.

There's very little (if any) precedent for an outgoing promoter to call a halt, what's then regarded as the last meeting being staged but then the first revival meeting going ahead with someone else promoting it, all in the space of a single week !!

Edited by arthur cross

Rockingham is much too far away im afraid, the crowds for the football at Northampton have declined by around 85%.

a 10:30 finish and home for midnight?

i know mallory park was mentioned, but that's too far as well for most people.

no one wants to get on a motorway to see a "local" team,

the core three towns for support

coventry

rugby

nuneaton

and how easy it is to get to it.

• Like 1

To put into context how little time there is for Coventry to have a new speedway stadium up-&-running, it's already 16-months (October 2012) since the FIM awarded Belle Vue's new stadium the 2013 World Cup Final, only for that to prove far too quick for its development.

If Belle Vue, having known enough about their new site in back in 2012 to bid for it hosting a global event, won't be racing in their new home until 2015 at the earliest, what chance do Coventry have of racing in a new home in 2017 when they're only at the stage of inviting fans to suggest possible new sites here in 2014 ? !!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, although the stadium management at Brandon are hopeful (in the Coventry Telegraph article a few posts above) about staging greyhound racing there this Friday & Saturday, they're in a very grey area with the Greyhound Board of Great Britain about whether those meetings can be officially licenced.

In today's Racing Post, the Brandon management have made it clear the previous dogs promoter Harry Findlay is nothing to do with this swift revival (and they've publicly thanked him for his past efforts).

But the GBGB would normally require "fit and proper" checks to be made on any incoming new promoter(s) which would clearly delay any resumption for at least a few weeks while any interviews and paperwork are sorted out.

There's very little (if any) precedent for an outgoing promoter to call a halt, what's then regarded as the last meeting being staged but then the first revival meeting going ahead, all in the space of a single week !!

No one is suggesting building a stadium to the scale of BV, it would be better to build a track with the basic facilities and then hopefully improve on that in future. Tough times for us bees fans but as it stands at this moment I have faith and Sandhu and Horton to deliver. Personally I'd get in touch with the council asap and try and see if they can help out.

• Like 1

Rockingham is much too far away im afraid, the crowds for the football at Northampton have declined by around 85%.

a 10:30 finish and home for midnight?

i know mallory park was mentioned, but that's too far as well for most people.

no one wants to get on a motorway to see a "local" team,

the core three towns for support

coventry

rugby

nuneaton

and how easy it is to get to it.

RR Ansty is being demolished, ideal location, size and no noise worries.

• Like 1

What guarantees can outgoing owner Sandhu actually give that dogs and speedway WILL continue for 3 years???

Even if its written into some sort of purchase contract, as I've said before, the new owners could still buy out the clause if they want to proceed quickly!! Why do people think the dogs are going back in?!

• Like 1

A sorry tale to be sure.

I just asked my missus if she knew who the Mayor of Rugby was these days. She just about dissolved in fits of laughter when I told her it was Gillias (suffice to say that he was the landlord of the flat on Cambridge Rd when I first met her. I'll leave it at that or I'll only get myself in trouble :lol: ).

I expect the new housing estate will have two outlets onto the Rugby Road, both served with roundabouts, and I doubt very much whether there will be anything but a minor impact on traffic flows - it's really not the busiest road most of the time.

The fact that Gillias was a bit-part rider cuts little ice. He'll be led by his 'constituents' in the Binley Woods and Revel Ward that he serves. It would be naive to think that he'd upset that little lot for the sake of a motorsports operation that he owes nowt to. I really hope i'm wrong, but somehow doubt it.

(edited for typo)

a bit part rider maybe, but his connections still intact i may add

RR Ansty is being demolished, ideal location, size and no noise worries.

Near Junction 2? If so, excellent spot.

No one is suggesting building a stadium to the scale of BV, it would be better to build a track with the basic facilities and then hopefully improve on that in future. Tough times for us bees fans but as it stands at this moment I have faith and Sandhu and Horton to deliver. Personally I'd get in touch with the council asap and try and see if they can help out.

are we not?

so already the expectations are being downgraded.

belle vue is hardly a massive development, what are we going to get then

a wooden shed

and a track shop on tables?

Edited by philfromcov