British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Swindon V Poole Elite Shield 1st Leg. 27/3/14

Well it's saved me a trip but a ridiculous call off so early. breezy and dry so far today and much less shower activity about than yesterday. In fact looking at rain today.co.uk it looks like most of the showers have missed Blunsdon. Very little of the wet stuff around for this afternoon.

I would rather had made the trip to be disappointed with a late call off than one that says it's off because it might rain.

Feeble call off.

yet again wrong

Perhaps you wanted all the fans to travel like they did to Coventry? No pleasing some people

• Like 1

What is the matter with people who run Speedway in this country. Used to ride in the wet and now it's just the threat of a bit of moisture or a waterlogged track (depending on which website you read) and finito! Was really looking forward to it. Thinking about it, I went to P&P last week and it was fine-have we really had that much rain since then or was I dreaming that the Speedway season had started!

I think I owe them (the promotion) an apology-the rain came in just as the weathermen predicted! Sorry!

• Like 6

I think I owe them (the promotion) an apology-the rain came in just as the weathermen predicted! Sorry!

Fair play Chalkie...as you say, I think it was the right call. Whilst it's frustrating we have to bear in mind that these things aren't done out of spite, they're done in the best interests of the Club and in turn its fans

• Like 2

They were correct but I maintain that its a risky old business calling off eight hours before tapes up based on a forecast.

Nowt wrong Chalkie by getting it wrong i DID i was bitter and twisted was really looking forward to tonight.I would say i hope this is not a trend where decisions are made to early on forecasts they were right tonight but they have also got it wrong.

Fair play to you Chalkie. I travelled to Coventry last week that got rained off. Last night I made the trip to Birmingham just got there and heard on the radio that was off too it is very off putting.

But it's a long season and with the forecast I heard we are in for a hot hot summer. Who know's we could be complaining about the dust soon

For the record, I live in North Wiltshire and we have had two massive showers (hailstones included) since 4pm. Not sure what the weather is doing in Swindon but even right now, the skies are leaden.

Perhaps Cookie can come on here and give a track curator's perspective. He is usually very informative.

I thought you were joking until I went on the web-site & Blunsdon must have had it's own rain cloud as it's bone dry 6 miles from stadium.

Well I know I'll get slaughtered for this but here goes.

How can speedway bring in new fans when they do things like this as we have not had enough rain to make the track wet.

The meeting is called off on a supposed weather forecast & how often are they wrong?.

This just plainly stinks & makes you wonder it there's something else going on & even if it pours down later this just isn't right.

Another own goal for the sport & for Swindon speedway.

What about the fans who've changed shifts or like my mate taken holiday to go tonight?.

You really can only take fans for granted for so long before they say enough is enough.

Not me being Mr Grumpy as I know a lot of fans who feel the same way.

For once Steve I agree with you 100% & this isn't the first time Swindon have done this either.

If speedway promotors all agree on these sort of decisions then just tell the fans that's how it will be going forward rather then at least they know.

Poole riders are all in the country as rode last night & Swindon are at Lakeside tomorrow so guess riders are already here also.

It's all about opinion I guess really as some will be fed up & some will agree but can't see how travel expenses can be used as a reason this time.

calling Crazy Robin....calling Crazy Robin....come in Crazy Robin....do you read over?

How is that humble pie tasting this evening? :wink:

Am looking forward to the 'Robins most loyal fan' apology...should be good! :P

TBH, I know how CR feels, earlier in the week I said no to a night out tonight in order to go to 'the speedway'..

I know Blunsdon has it's own climate (akin to Greenland)..but...

In Swindon there was 5 minutes of rain (3:10-3:15 ish) as I drove from Westlea to Wichelstowe, it wasn't raining when I got in the car, nor was it when I got out and it's been dry ever since..

I suppose the good thing is - I've saved more than £20 tonight :t:

I can speak about loyalty & I can speak about a business making decisions on what might happen as supposed to what does happen.

I will apologise when the need arises but am not going to this time as it's a cop out to keep doing these sort of things & it never used to be the case.

So you can call me whatever you want but don't ever question my loyalty to Swindon speedway.

Edited by Crazy robin

I can speak about loyalty & I can speak about a business making decisions on what might happen as supposed to what does happen.

I will apologise when the need arises but am not going to this time as it's a cop out to keep doing these sort of things & it never used to be the case.

So you can call me whatever you want but don't ever question my loyalty to Swindon speedway.

Loyalty? Really? Judged by your comments last season you hardly went... ;)

You made your comments between 11.00 and 13.00 a full 6 and half hours before the meeting. As Yerropes says, Blunsdon has it's own microclimate. Obviously, it couldn't possibly rain in that time.

The promotion made a business decision and it turned out to be the right one. :P I for one work in Bristol and appreciated the early call off as I didn't have to rush home. There are some of us supporters that don't actually live or work in the town CR. I am likely to be moving to Bath v.shortly and I will be prepared to travel every week to support the club but if there is any doubt then I want an early decision. That is how to keep your customers.

You didn't say how your pie was? :P

• Like 1

Not the first Early Bath that the Blueboy has had

. I am likely to be moving to Bath v.shortly and I will be prepared to travel every week to support the club but if there is any doubt then I want an early decision.

I guess that would be a Early Bath then :P

Loyalty? Really? Judged by your comments last season you hardly went... ;)

You made your comments between 11.00 and 13.00 a full 6 and half hours before the meeting. As Yerropes says, Blunsdon has it's own microclimate. Obviously, it couldn't possibly rain in that time.

The promotion made a business decision and it turned out to be the right one. :P I for one work in Bristol and appreciated the early call off as I didn't have to rush home. There are some of us supporters that don't actually live or work in the town CR. I am likely to be moving to Bath v.shortly and I will be prepared to travel every week to support the club but if there is any doubt then I want an early decision. That is how to keep your customers.

You didn't say how your pie was? :P

When you actually grow up & realise that you have to make sacrifices financially & that sometimes means things that your families needs come before yours then get back to me.

The reasons why last season I had to not attend meetings as much as I've done for the 35 years before is something that is beyond my control & doesn't make me less of a fan than before.

I made my comments at the same time as the meeting was postponed & stand by them as Swindon have done the same in the past & got it wrong.

If you read the post I made it says if all the promotors are going to make this a regular thing then just tell the fans & at least they know how it is.

I hope that answered your juvenile questions & await with baited breath your response.

• Like 2