British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Panthers89

Peterborough Panthers Vs Somerset Rebels Lc 1/4/14

Fortunate win for Peterborough simply because Somerset got their selection wrong. How long will Dryml last, seems only to be going through the motions.

Perhaps they did, but it seems that the Panthers had to come from the back in both runnings of the final heat so maybe it wasn't fortunate but hard earned.

Wonder where Starman is telling Rebels fans that Gary May won't let them down :D

• Like 2

to win a meeting with only 7 heat winners is good effort!! :t:

Has anyone actually told Ales that he's now riding PL rather than EL and therefore 5 points at home is not acceptable...! :o

• Like 1

I think Panthers fans should be careful what they wish for. Ok, Dryml has not had the greatest of starts to the season. Then again if you wind the clock back 12 months to a certain Mr Hougaard, and look how he turned it around for you guys.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

I think Panthers fans should be careful what they wish for. Ok, Dryml has not had the greatest of starts to the season. Then again if you wind the clock back 12 months to a certain Mr Hougaard, and look how he turned it around for you guys.

That is true. However, how long should you wait for an upturn in his form ? History proves that catch up is difficult if left too late, another month is long enough imo...

I'd say at least half a dozen competitive fixtures.

You are assuming that there will be an upturn. Going by his form of the past 6 season or so, then his form is about right.

Well 2 complete home meetings appears to the limit to somes patience. He is struggling with machinery but he will get it right, his past record at EoES tells you that

Maybe just a tiny bit more patience is required

• Like 1

Well 2 complete home meetings appears to the limit to somes patience. He is struggling with machinery but he will get it right, his past record at EoES tells you that

I dare say he will be given some time to get it right but it is galling at times because he should be able a lot better than 5 points a meeting at this level.

It didn't take him long last year when he visited with BV, paid 15 if I remember it rightly.

Looks like another poor performance from ales, premier league may just be too strong for him.

Dreadfully letting down the Panthers. Disgraceful from a rider supposedly good enough to ride in the GP`s.

Must admit even i`m surprised by how poor he has been. Thank god he isn't in the EL.

Which is what Swales says every year and Frost admitted cost us last year when everyone could see the problems but didn't deal with them. As we're on a budget and less high profile I suspect he'll get all the time he wants.

Surely all riders go through peaks and troughs during the course of a season. Maybe this is Ales's time for a down turn. I wonder if the fans would be calling for Mon The Fish and his 6 fingered salutes if he had been poor in the opening few meetings ?

Another example from the Panthers camp of last year would be Norbert. He couldnt buy a point at the start of the season, got the sack, then was brought back and was a different rider.

Edited by semion

Surely all riders go through peaks and troughs during the course of a season. Maybe this is Ales's time for a down turn. I wonder if the fans would be calling for Mon The Fish and his 6 fingered salutes if he had been poor in the opening few meetings ?

Another example from the Panthers camp of last year would be Norbert. He couldnt buy a point at the start of the season, got the sack, then was brought back and was a different rider.

Not at all. Give him a decent track (at home) and Kosciuch will get you points. He never had that decent track at the start when out of his depth in the main body of a struggling team. Same rider different scenario later on.

Same can't be said of Dryml. He's where he should be and not doing much without any obvious good reason.

• Like 1

As a semi-neutral (I am a fan of the Fish but Charles Wright is an ex-Monarch), I really enjoyed the match.

It was nothing like as cold as on the Rye night, but the chips were nothing like as good either so you can't win them all.

The track was a bit short on dirt around bends 1 & 2 after a couple of heats so it was usually a case of charge out to the deeper stuff near the fence.

Despite that the racing was competitive and far more interesting and entertaining than at the tracks nearest to me - Rye and Ippo.

The crowd was down on the Rye match but still looked a decent number (maybe c1200?), though I don't know how that compares with last year.

For Peterborough..........

- The Fish was excellent, apart from heat 13 where he looked slow until he made up a lot in a frantic last half lap. He was ahead by a country mile in heat 15 starting from the outside and riding round everyone on bends 1/2, before it was stopped when Nick Morris decided to do cartwheels on bend 2 lap 3(?). In the rerun he didn't get a good start until bend 4 lap 3(?) when he came forcefully under Olly Allen to get ahead and make space for Lasse Bjerre to also get through.

- Lewis Blackbird was excellent too. Only dropped a point to Allen and another to Charles Wright in an all action heat 8 where they were both neck and neck crossing the line but Charles got the nod. Might have been in with a shout for a heat 15 ride.

- Lasse Bjerre looked another candidate for the "Waste of Space" award after 3 nothing rides yielded 3 thirds. He then came from behind to pass Brady Kurtz for a win. Strangely enough this qualified him for heat 15 where he did the hard work the first time and got past both Rebels before Morris' gymnastics stopped it. He then took advantage of the Fish's efforts to get the second place.

- Ulrich Ostergaard was steady but unspectacular for his 9 points. He managed a win over Morris but was comfortably behind Pontus Aspgren and Allen in his others. Might have been in with a shout for a heat 15 ride though.

- Ales Dryml was poor and a very strong candidate for the WoS award. He did however manage a win in heat 11 against Morris and was well pumped up when he crossed the line which seemed to show he cares. Certainly having him in this form riding with the reserves, who are not very strong, gives 3 very weak heats.

- Joe Jacobs was got great either. I usually get stick for saying this, but after 5 seasons racing he should be doing better. He made a decent start in heat 14 to lead Aspgren, but was easily moved out of the way and the Ostergaard overtook him, somewhat unnecessarily on the final bend. Almost in the running for the WoS, but not quite, thanks to a good point over Wright in heat 14!!

- Oliver Greenwood disappointed me - I thought he looked much better against Rye. However he was unlucky enough to be targeted by Rebels for a couple of reserve switches and ended up having to face Wright 4 times. He did at least take a point off Todd Kurtz though.

For Somerset.........

- Nick Morris was a great disappointment. Didn't make the start in heat 1 when the track was a bit heavy and made no inroads on anyone. Then lost to Ostergaard! Then lost to Dryml!! Made a good start in heat 13 and picked up a 5-1 against the Fish (though it got tight at the end). This must have earned him the heat 15 gig or else it's in his contract that he must get it each week, because most people would have put Aspgren out with Allen. He held Bjerre back for a lap in heat 15 but was at the back when he did his spectacular exit to bend 2. Fortunately he was soon back on his feet.

- Todd Kurtz was Rebels' main contender for the WoS award. Totalled the tapes in the first attempt at heat 1. Did nothing in his next two (losing to Greenwood in the process) and then managed to beat Jacobs in his last ride, with Morris protecting his back. Very poor.

- Brady Kurtz was better than his brother! But not yet the great white hope, but it is very early days. He has a neat composed style and should be able to hit his new average comfortably. He beat Dryml but only Panthers reserves apart from that.

- Pontus Aspgren was a big surprise. In heat 3 he absolutely flew round the boards on bends 1&2 lap 1 to pass Ostergaard and Bjerre and was a mile ahead at the end. He then had comfortable wins against Dryml and Ostergaard but sandwiched in between he lost a 1-5 to the Fish and Blackbird, courtesy of a great start by Blackbird from gate 2 which kept Aspgren stuck on the kerb. Can only imagine it was that loss that kept him out of heat 15 (or Morris' contract!!). Did Garry May actually make a mistake?!!

- Charles Wright was another big surprise. He was fast and controlled and full value for his 10+2. I wish Edinburgh hadn't let him go and replaced him with some German non-scorer!!

- Paul Starke was slightly disappointing too. However he was swapped out of 2 of his easier rides and never got to face Dryml!! I think he would have scored another 2 or 3 if he had been kept in his programmed rides.

So all in all a good match to watch with the lead changing hands several times on the night.

Somerset look to be a strong team, especially once Morris and young Kurtz get going.

They might be keeping an eye on the elder Kurtz though given the way they like to make changes!!

Peterborough are a 4 man team at the moment and Dryml and the reserves are going to have to pick up the pace otherwise they are going to drop points at home.

They did play the queen's song which was a bit of a bind when you are expected to stand up on your dodgy knees having just started on a tray of chips and a hot coffee. Does any other track actually go through this rigmarole?

Unfortunately Ales is the biggest concern in the team ATM. Can't seem to gate or pass. Thought Blackbird was very good last night.

NeilWatson - could you ask the Showground to stock some decent real ale? I know the main bar was out of zaction last night but they don't have any when it is open! Suggest Rutland PANTHER....

I wouldn't have thought a temporary bar (even the main bar is only used infrequently) was the right place to keep and serve real ale?