British Speedway Forum
barncooseboy

New Costs Coming Fir Riders

Looks like the FIM are going to change the regulations for 2015, already announced for grasstrack.

All riders will have to use leather race suitrs

New Spec silencers will have to be used, current ones are only licenced till end of 2014 season.

• Like 1

Looks like the FIM are going to change the regulations for 2015, already announced for grasstrack.

New Spec silencers will have to be used, current ones are only licenced till end of 2014 season.

I honestly believe that Leathers are far safer than Kevlars.

• Like 3

I honestly believe that Leathers are far safer than Kevlars.

How many times have you tested Kevlars and leathers? ;)

I suggest they clamp down on kevlars/leather with holes in before this, admittedly not so common these days but you still see it from time to time.

How many times have you tested Kevlars and leathers? ;)

I suggest they clamp down on kevlars/leather with holes in before this, admittedly not so common these days but you still see it from time to time.

I wonder why Moto GP has stuck with leather? And I have asked this question before, Moto GP riders have a big back protector 'hump' in their leathers, why don't speedway riders? Didn't receive an answer, previously. :unsure:

The hump is aerodynamic. Nothing to do with protection. A quick google suggests that medical people don't like them, they get in the way and are a nuisance.

Edited by SCB

The hump is aerodynamic. Nothing to do with protection. A quick google suggests that medical people don't like them, they get in the way and are a nuisance.

Yes, it's mainly aerodynamic and MotoGP riders will usually wear separate back protectors underneath the leathers.

I'm sure Martin Smolinski used to use one when racing longtrack. I'm not sure if he still does.

As for MotoGP using leather; I think the simple fact is that leather offers better abrasion protection and that is far more important in MotoGP than speedway. A rider never slides very far on the track before hitting a fence in speedway, but they can slide a long, long way in MotoGP.

If speedway riders want to move on to the lightweight kangaroo leather that MotoGP riders wear, their costs will increase greatly.

Yes, it's mainly aerodynamic and MotoGP riders will usually wear separate back protectors underneath the leathers.

I'm sure Martin Smolinski used to use one when racing longtrack. I'm not sure if he still does.

As for MotoGP using leather; I think the simple fact is that leather offers better abrasion protection and that is far more important in MotoGP than speedway. A rider never slides very far on the track before hitting a fence in speedway, but they can slide a long, long way in MotoGP.

If speedway riders want to move on to the lightweight kangaroo leather that MotoGP riders wear, their costs will increase greatly.

Should be cheaper for the Aussie boys tho.. :wink:

• Like 2

Should be cheaper for the Aussie boys tho.. :wink:

Is that how they jump out of the start ?

• Like 1

Very interesting SCB, thank you. I am surprised, but there you go. I suppose if leather is more expensive. it adds more pressure on riders costs.

IMO "if" leathers are safer and offer more protection ( I am not saying they do) then prehaps the extra cost would be worth it against the present race suits.Would the leathers last longer( I know that riders have team ones in some cases and may move about more these days) but IMO as with helmets they should offer the best protection possible.i have heard that leathers are heavier and more awkward to ride in but I am sure riders could adapt .Also if the rider wishes to he may be able to wear a oversuit to resemble the present race suits to be covered in sponsorship and personalised to their own tastes.

I thought they were having to wear pine cones when I read the headline.
  • Like 1

IMO "if" leathers are safer and offer more protection ( I am not saying they do) then prehaps the extra cost would be worth it against the present race suits.Would the leathers last longer( I know that riders have team ones in some cases and may move about more these days) but IMO as with helmets they should offer the best protection possible.i have heard that leathers are heavier and more awkward to ride in but I am sure riders could adapt .Also if the rider wishes to he may be able to wear a oversuit to resemble the present race suits to be covered in sponsorship and personalised to their own tastes.

I don't see any problem 'adapting' they had NO choice years ago. Leather was the only material available for long enough.

Think the biggest issue is riders doing so many meetings now that getting a set of kevlars clean and dry via the washing machine is more practical than leathers which are a pain to maintain. The protection thing isn't so cut and dried as with kevlars riders wear a very good undersuit with built in armour where under leathers it used to be a minimal back protector. Seems to me there is an increased risk of abrasion injuries but they are probably at least as well protected for everything else.

Having said that I wear leathers because I 'feel' better protected but that is a personal preference and I never ride several times a week. My opinion is that the riders are in the best position to decide on what protective clothing they wear and should be allowed to make that decision.

The silencers was always going to happen and doubtless will happen again before too long.

• Like 2

I did hear a while ago that a former SGP rider was complaining that one of the reasons that the FIM want everyone to wear leathers is because Armando Castagna (who is one of the officials in the Grands Prix these days) owns a large stake in a leather company in Italy and that he's pretty much doing the same as Briggs with the whole dirt deflector thing.

• Like 1

Armando lives across the road from a family who own a large leather company, I believe it is a family owned business and when I was last in Italy he did not own any of the company. Armando and most of his brothers own a hotel/restaurant.