British Speedway Forum
Gunners

Whats The Thoughts On The New Format After The First Month

Has anyone got a run down of what average each of the 3 point drafts are running with in the opening few weeks. There will be problems going forward with these Reserves as they will be on such false averages for next season.

Why will they be on false averages? The points they score are mainly against other draft riders so the averages give a good indication of the respective strengths of the reserves. Maybe next year (assuming they don't dump draft riders) they can set an average of 12 points for the two reserves.

Why will they be on false averages? The points they score are mainly against other draft riders so the averages give a good indication of the respective strengths of the reserves. Maybe next year (assuming they don't dump draft riders) they can set an average of 12 points for the two reserves.

I would hope that the top draft riders wont be in the draft again but instead fill a second string berth.
  • Like 1

I would hope that the top draft riders wont be in the draft again but instead fill a second string berth.

This should be the progression they should be working to.

• Like 2

Is the new format showing up the short comings in a lot of riders?

Certainly the likes of Chris Harris, Ben Barker, Danny King, Edward Kennett seem to be struggling. Is this perhaps because they don't get any easy races which gives them the confidence boost?

Do like the part of the rules where the reserves see each other more as makes for better races.

No as they do not earn an official green sheet average.

More of an issue will be second strings such as porsing or palm toft who are likely to spend thr whole season at second string, get an inflated average and potentially make themselves unemployable for next season.

Their true averages will be updated and displayed each month on the revised ranking list, along with the GSAs on the BSPA website!!

As far as next season is concerned, I doubt whether teams will be required to build their 1-5s to a 32 point maximum!! As for the FT reserves, I guess that the final ranking list for this year will dictate what 'average' the reserves are for next year!!? Maybe 1 x 4+pointer and 1x 3pointer or similar.

As entertainment seems to be not to bad but as a serious Team Competion is is a bit lopsided regarding the Draft riders IMO.

• Like 1

One little question. If one of the draft riders is offered a guest outing in The Elite League on the same date as he has a National League meeting. Does he get the choice on which booking he wants to take ?

One little question. If one of the draft riders is offered a guest outing in The Elite League on the same date as he has a National League meeting. Does he get the choice on which booking he wants to take ?

NL fixture takes priority over guest bookings. It's the same for any rider that you can't cover a guest booking when your own team are riding.

Next years race format will be;

1 GP rider

2 PL double up

2 NL treble up

1 MDL quadruple up

1 Men In Black can barely stand up

Heat 1, 5, 10 and 13 feature GP rider plus a PL rider

Heats 3 and 11 feature 2 PL riders

Heats 4,7,9 and 12 feature your NL riders

Heats 2, 6, 8 and 14 feature your MDL and Man in Black.

Clubs reported to be offering huge signing on fees to get the best man in black. BSPA hails new era and more value for money as races will now be longer. 1 pound on admission.

Tacticals allowed in some races perhaps.

Good Friday will award an extra league point to any team operating over 5 guests.

• Like 2

I reckon the rules and formats will be the death of this sport. The ever-changing ideas form one year to the next does nothing but segregate clubs and fans until there at each other throats and all we have left is arguments on what is right and wrong. All ambition and aim for the future have gone. Such is their belief that people don't really care any more what happens.

The draft idea, whether rightly or wrong implemented, will be blamed for all the problems the sport is having this year. Already it has been blamed for Birmingham's poor showing, and will be associated with everything that goes wrong. Christ, I even heard 'tracks are not prepared correct for these draft riders', and 'of caused we lost the draft riders were not used to the tracks'. The list will go on....

I like the idea of having new, young, blood into the sport. I don't necessary go along the lines of draft system, because it could never be done 100% fair. There have been teams planning for the future, like the Lynn Stars and Coventry's, and it is these teams that have benefitted with having the cream of draft choices. This is not wrong for those teams, and it would have been detrimental to the riders to have done it any other way.

Our sport will never prosper, because the 'powers at B' deem it not necessary to plan ahead. We are but a few weeks into this new season and not one person knows of the format or direction that will be used next year. That fact is outrageous. How are we going to attract new Fans, new Sponsors, or new clubs when the future is shouldered in mystery

This year all teams are split into 3 groups, each have a different chance of achieving a creditable CMA. What happens when the groups score inter swine with each other. Such lack of forethought has gone onto the system. What happens next year? All the riders who don't ride in the Elite 2014 will be have higher CMA's than those that does ride. Who will want them and their high scores? What will happen to the top 'Draft Riders' on ridiculous high scores, Will they be classed as Heat leaders.???

This post was not meant as a moan, purely highlighting the problems that exist with draft riders in our sport. Why can't the rules be streamlined and set in stone for the future, so every team, sponsor, and supporter will have the same ideas enabling the sport to move forward and prosper in the years ahead......

• Like 3

I like the idea of having new, young, blood into the sport. I don't necessary go along the lines of draft system, because it could never be done 100% fair. There have been teams planning for the future, like the Lynn Stars and Coventry's, and it is these teams that have benefitted with having the cream of draft choices. This is not wrong for those teams, and it would have been detrimental to the riders to have done it any other way.

How do you work that out ? after certain clubs have taken the best picks even before the draft had started Cov went and picked Jason Garrity rather than one there own assets .

The bottom line is teams will only pick there assets if they are the best riders to fit into there side

• Like 3

I quite like the fact there's no hiding place/comfort blanket for 1, 3 & 5, which is why we're seeing some really low scores by some. The format does present difficulties though for riders in certain positions which is of more concern as an away rider - gaps of five races before another ride can make the next ride more of a challenge e.g. away no.1 or no.3 (if in Ht15). The problem of mismatched reserves is that an 8 point margin will be gained in many meetings - difficult to make up.

I reckon the rules and formats will be the death of this sport. The ever-changing ideas form one year to the next does nothing but segregate clubs and fans until there at each other throats and all we have left is arguments on what is right and wrong. All ambition and aim for the future have gone. Such is their belief that people don't really care any more what happens.

The draft idea, whether rightly or wrong implemented, will be blamed for all the problems the sport is having this year. Already it has been blamed for Birmingham's poor showing, and will be associated with everything that goes wrong. Christ, I even heard 'tracks are not prepared correct for these draft riders', and 'of caused we lost the draft riders were not used to the tracks'. The list will go on....

Our sport will never prosper, because the 'powers at B' deem it not necessary to plan ahead. We are but a few weeks into this new season and not one person knows of the format or direction that will be used next year. That fact is outrageous. How are we going to attract new Fans, new Sponsors, or new clubs when the future is shouldered in mystery

This year all teams are split into 3 groups, each have a different chance of achieving a creditable CMA. What happens when the groups score inter swine with each other. Such lack of forethought has gone onto the system. What happens next year? All the riders who don't ride in the Elite 2014 will be have higher CMA's than those that does ride. Who will want them and their high scores? What will happen to the top 'Draft Riders' on ridiculous high scores, Will they be classed as Heat leaders.???

This post was not meant as a moan, purely highlighting the problems that exist with draft riders in our sport. Why can't the rules be streamlined and set in stone for the future, so every team, sponsor, and supporter will have the same ideas enabling the sport to move forward and prosper in the years ahead......

Where on earth has it been stated that Birmingham's plight is due to the reserves???

As far as next season is concerned, lets at least get through all the 'A' fixtures first!! The BSPA clearly can't win with this one - if they did announce the format for 2015 without the experience of this season, then they would undoubtedly have been soundly criticised anyway!! And probably have to change it again!!

I would imagine that the team building limit next year will be increased - both for the 1-5 and for the 2 reserves - but why do we need to know that now? It won't make the slightest difference to attracting more or less people - fans or sponsors.. The successful teams will have more of both, the unsuccessful ones won't!!

• Like 2

Is the new format showing up the short comings in a lot of riders?

Certainly the likes of Chris Harris, Ben Barker, Danny King, Edward Kennett seem to be struggling. Is this perhaps because they don't get any easy races which gives them the confidence boost?

Do like the part of the rules where the reserves see each other more as makes for better races.

Well if they struggle this year, then their averages will make them very marketable for the number 2 or 4 berth next season.