British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh (lc) 20/4/13 @ 3pm

Whether we can afford it or not is the case because we can't carry on like this.. Glasgow have a reputation for giving riders a fair chance before making changes, which is all well and good, I hate to see riders dropped but we won't have any speedway at this rate, and will be lucky to see out the season if we don't start winning fast, at least at home.

Its a baptism of fire at home right now though, having only had two home matches, both against Edinburgh who are IMO the best starting 7 I have seen since Swindon in the early 2000's. Peterborough next week don't look that far behind and I couldn't predict a home win, the only glimmer of hope is that we can get the better of their reserves and pick up the minor placings.

• Like 2

And how would they know that, is this part off the due diligence process now i can see the interview now

Kevin we want you to be our No1 next season

Oh ok

Kevin have you any financial difficulties that mean your equipment isn't up to scratch and you will struggle to score points

No

It is not as if they would do a credit check on him to ride speedway

Jeeeeeeeez I really despair at some off the post's on here.

What a ridiculous post. Any promotion with half a brain will surely want to know what sort of preparations there riders will be making for the season so they have confidence that they are going to score points for there club. Maybe Glasgow were just that desperate for anyone after last years shambles they weren't really that fussed.

We can't afford it and I for one don't want to see the begging bowl come out again. I think we have been loyal and putting our hands in our pockets enough's enough

We can't afford it and I for one don't want to see the begging bowl come out again. I think we have been loyal and putting our hands in our pockets enough's enough

We might need to gamble though . As Dorothy says , another season like last year and the doors might shut anyway cause there will be hardly anyone there to watch .

Nobody is suggesting it is deliberate ,

Ok,i must have read that wrong....the possible suggestion that Kevin was doing what Gjedde done at Berwick.I guessed Gjedde deliberately lowered his average.

Ok,i must have read that wrong....the possible suggestion that Kevin was doing what Gjedde done at Berwick.I guessed Gjedde deliberately lowered his average.

That was the general consensus at the time . Nobody is suggesting Wolbert is indulging in anything like that , we're all just puzzled and disappointed at how such a good rider at PL level should be churning out such poor displays .

So Paulco just who is going to pay for the gamble ??

There's always one :neutral: . I dont know , the club i presume . But what happens if we dont do something ? defeat after defeat again and the support voting with their feet . Then what ? Answer me that

Edited by Paulco

Yes there is always one you say you presume the club but how often has the fans have to bail them out

I agree , we've reached saturation level with asking for supporters help . I dont know , do we ask our new sponsors for help ? We have to do something . As it stands we're just as uncompetative as we were last season and can we afford to have another season like last year ?

5 people have already told me since yesterday that they wont be back until we change the team. Also there is Liverpool v Man City next Sunday. People may just see that as a good enough excuse to stay away. The only time I have ever questioned not going is after we fiddled the averages at Edinburgh because I felt cheated after paying to watch. Even the most hardened fan is starting to question value for money after the last few years. There are so many things that need addressed. Surely to god there is someone out there who can help us out with the track. If Doc cant do it surely one of the other northern tracks has someone who's services would be available. Is that a financial decision too?

We no doubt have invested in Wolbert with signing on fees etc. Will this make it tough to get rid of him if a big chunk of the budget was already spent on him ? That's where he needs to have top machinery. Surely a sign on fee should be used to make sure your equipment is sorted

5 people have already told me since yesterday that they wont be back until we change the team. Also there is Liverpool v Man City next Sunday. People may just see that as a good enough excuse to stay away. The only time I have ever questioned not going is after we fiddled the averages at Edinburgh because I felt cheated after paying to watch. Even the most hardened fan is starting to question value for money after the last few years. There are so many things that need addressed. Surely to god there is someone out there who can help us out with the track. If Doc cant do it surely one of the other northern tracks has someone who's services would be available. Is that a financial decision too?

We no doubt have invested in Wolbert with signing on fees etc. Will this make it tough to get rid of him if a big chunk of the budget was already spent on him ? That's where he needs to have top machinery. Surely a sign on fee should be used to make sure your equipment is sorted

That's the thing , all we have is well meaning friends and supporters offering reasons and excuses why our number 1 isn't riding like a number 1 . That wont wash among the support as they suffer one inept display after another . There was a pretty decent crowd there yesterday , ok the weather was decent for a change and it was a derby against the smugs . But 35 points ( and a t/r inflated 35 points at that ) is unacceptable regardless the opposition .

• Like 1

That's the thing , all we have is well meaning friends and supporters offering reasons and excuses why our number 1 isn't riding like a number 1 . That wont wash among the support as they suffer one inept display after another . There was a pretty decent crowd there yesterday , ok the weather was decent for a change and it was a derby against the smugs . But 35 points ( and a t/r inflated 35 points at that ) is unacceptable regardless the opposition .

Can totally relate to what you are saying, been through the previous two seasons under similar circumstances at Sheffield.

The simple fact is that id your not winning your home meetings on regular consistent basis then the crowd levels will drop.

I and a hard core of supporters at Sheffield have all probably not missed a home meeting for the last two seasons, its been difficult and I guess became a habit, but the vast majority will and do vote with their feet if your losing on a regular basis.

To have a number 1 who has not scored a point in four rides is unthinkable and frankly worrying, and the Promotion need to ask some questions of the rider and themselves as to the way forward.

Sadly for Kevin Wolbert I think that the Promotion needs to act quickly and replace the chosen number 1 for this season. .

Jonasson would be a interesting Number 1, An average of 9.48 in the PL so the side would need to be re-adjusted.

Also has knowledge of the Scottish area as he was a regular for the Edinburgh Monarchs previously.

Were those 5 people Monarchs fans?

We've only had 2 home meetings and both against Edinburgh, how can you say your not coming back by Easter Sunday?

As regards the track - thought it was decent just our misfiring guys need to learn to ride it, Berge and Rusty knew how. Reading some of the comments about lack of dirt makes me wonder if people want to go back to previous years when it was knee deep to unsettle the opposition where experienced riders could barely turn the bike, with crashes galore and every heat FTG.

The issue is with the riders not the track IMO. Wonder what happened to Danny et al?