British Speedway Forum
TMW

Leicester V Coventry

You miss the point cb252. Long eye is much more than just your common or garden lowly speedway fan. He's part of the pit crew at Leicester for gawd sake. He knows important people who know stuff. This means he knows stuff you will never understand and gives him the insight into the sport so far in advance of you or I. I need to check but I think most of his 300 odd posts clearly show this.. erm.. you retard!

Well, at least in one person's head I'm sure this would appear to be the case anyway!!

Mick.

And has a potty mouth.

Wrong again. I don't work there.

Did i say you work there? I fear you may be getting lost in the detail irrespectively !

Edited by volty

I already said about 2 or 4 good races. But there was still a lot of races that followd along in a big line. Newman was great but the way he rides it was only time before a great big cropper and he did it this week.

Some of the passes he made at Poole made your heart come in your mouth for him. I love speedway, but most of all I don't want to watch young lads riding above themselves and being seriosly hurt.

As I also said the new format this year is going to see a lot more strung out races.

So newman should ride only nl, as in the pl hecis riding above himsrlf? Darcy shouldn't take part in the gps this year as he injured himself trying too hard in the gps last year?

Why would this year's formst result in more races strung out? You sre aware that it keeps heat leaders away from reservee and pits riders pre dominantly against riders of a similat level (I.e. hl, 2nd string, reserve)? If anything you would expect closer racing surely?

Big disappointment after our performance at Brandon the night before. After 3 heats we managed to avoid a last place and then posted 11 zeros out of the next 12 races which is simply inexcusable for a home team in any league. Whilst Mads was poor and hopefully his performnce was a blip, we cannot carry two reserves. As much as we're supposed to love him, Cleggy is out of it by the first bend and when Perry doesn't gate (although a great racer), heats 2 & 9 are becoming very expensive. I know its going against the ethos of the providing opportunities for young Brits in the draft system, but at what point do the management look at alternatives for reserve births?

The best track by a mile that I've been to is Somerset but then I've been to Peterborough or Kings Lynn.

I also like the Isle of Wight especially the 3rd & 4th bends where riders slingshot them.

Disappointing result after the heroic performance at Brandon the night before. Hopefully Mads performance in the home meeting was a blip but we cannot carry both reserves. As much as we are supposed to encourage the guy, Cleggy is consistently out of it by the first bend. Whilst Perry is a terrific racer, when he misses the gate, heats 2 & 9 are looking expensive for the Lions when winning margins are going to be narrow in this league. Whilst it goes against the grain regarding the development of young Brits, at what point do the mangement start to look at alternatives (assuming there are options) for the reserve slots?

On various posts I have agreed that the straights are too long for the size of the bends and suggested (as others have too) that the solution would be to take (say) five metres from each end which would mean less entry speed, deeper bends and a choice of racing lines . However, mindful of the drainage work and importantly the re configuring of the banking (entry through to exit) that would be required it is not a quick fix i.e. a weekends work as some would believe. So maybe we will have to wait until this winter to see the changes being made.

Meanwhile, I don’t understand what the track preparation is all about (and no blame on Glyn or even the riders intended) because of the following:

• The surface v Lakeside & Coventry was not slick but tightly packed. This was obvious by the amount of material the cutter produced during grading and then getting packed down
  • V Lakeside the riders requested the material to be moved to reduce grip – not sure if this same request was made v Coventry
  • Yet by the 15th heat the riders were chasing the high (dirt) line looking for (and getting) grip
  • So if they chase grip wide out, why not make use of it on the inside lines?

To be clear, rather than this post intended to be a complaint, moan or dig at anybody, I genuinely don’t understand why we have what appears to be conflicting issues with the surface preparation and am just wondering if somebody could provide an informed insight.

Edited by 1 valve

David Hemsley has regularly mentioned that he didn't want a boring track like Somerset, Scunthorpe or Peterborough as they are all the same and he likes that his track is different to all others. (you might think i'm joking!)

Sadly I doubt many think you are joking, says everything about the bloke you need to know, complete plonker.

David Hemsley has regularly mentioned that he didn't want a boring track like Somerset, Scunthorpe or Peterborough as they are all the same and he likes that his track is different to all others. (you might think i'm joking!)

That is truly extraordinary.

The best track by a mile that I've been to is Somerset but then I've been to Peterborough or Kings Lynn.

I also like the Isle of Wight especially the 3rd & 4th bends where riders slingshot them.

I would say that the best tracks (purely in terms of the quality of racing I have seen) are Peterborough, Mildenhall, Plymouth & Scunthorpe.

The best shaped track for racing, though, (and I'll await the howls of derisive abuse :D ) is Stoke.

On various posts I have agreed that the straights are too long for the size of the bends and suggested (as others have too) that the solution would be to take (say) five metres from each end which would mean less entry speed, deeper bends and a choice of racing lines . However, mindful of the drainage work and importantly the re configuring of the banking (entry through to exit) that would be required it is not a quick fix i.e. a weekends work as some would believe. So maybe we will have to wait until this winter to see the changes being made.

Meanwhile, I don’t understand what the track preparation is all about (and no blame on Glyn or even the riders intended) because of the following:

• The surface v Lakeside & Coventry was not slick but tightly packed. This was obvious by the amount of material the cutter produced during grading and then getting packed down
  • V Lakeside the riders requested the material to be moved to reduce grip – not sure if this same request was made v Coventry
  • Yet by the 15th heat the riders were chasing the high (dirt) line looking for (and getting) grip
  • So if they chase grip wide out, why not make use of it on the inside lines?

To be clear, rather than this post intended to be a complaint, moan or dig at anybody, I genuinely don’t understand why we have what appears to be conflicting issues with the surface preparation and am just wondering if somebody could provide an informed insight.

We had this debate a hundred times but i think the point is the riders go too fast down the too long straights to turn hard enough on the too tight corners hence the need to have the track slick into the bends. Glyn has mentioned this many times on here. Slow down a little bit on the straights (and naturally then the corners), such as when it's been very wet to the point of a rain off and all of a sudden you get some good racing (see Ipswich meeting a couple of years ago). Unfortunately do this and all the riders want the meeting off.

I know i'm banging the old drum but to slow down the riders enough to make the track more usable you don't neccessarily need to shorten straights at both ends. You could do it by shortening one end. That's coming from people in the know about track design and building who know these things, not me. I have been very reliably informed that this could be done in a couple of weeks for minimal outlay in pound notes (i know people have offered to cover this previously).

Finally, it should be noted that the crap racing has been noted from the very 1st meeting. Glyn Taylor was talking about the need to change the track shape on here after just a couple of meetings of our return. We were told it was getting changed after both the end of the first season and the second season and we've had a third off season where everyone has been stating the obvious and yet nothing has changed again and you are here once more mentioning how we should wait until the end of the season to make changes. The management apologists have been repeating this mantra since day one and yet nothing at all has happened (except for the joke changes Dave Darcy made)despite previous promises that if we all wait 'til the close season it will. I've wasted fortunes on these false promises. All too late for the many who have given up on the rubbish.

Edited by volty

I have been trying to find something positive to say about Saturday's meeting. The only good thing from the Lions side was Jason Doyle's 15 point max., You can count the number of full maximums that Leicester riders have scored since speedway returned on the fingers of one hand. I think that he will turn out to be a genuine Elite League number 1. The only problem will be that, when the management come to change the team, as I am sure they will, his average will reduce the options available for a replacement. As far as the reserves are concerned the minimum required from them in each match is 12 points between them. Will Lewis Blackbird will get that number by himself for Eastbourne next Saturday?

This track shape thing is not as straightforward as it seems.

Last years GP at New Zealand was very poor and yet the track is wide with long sweeping bends. This year was totally different, a cracking GP with plenty of good racing.

At BP we have had some good races (though not enough for most people it seems) so if the track shape was completely wrong then surely that wouldn't happen at all?

I think it's a combination of things. The track shape, the racing surface and the riders ability/willingness to race.

The track shape.

It seems that most people agree that it could be better at BP. They've taken the bends in (though some say not enough) and I think there has been some improvement, the riders can cut back easier now coming out of 2 and 4. It would be nice to able to push the straights apart as well to make the bends flow and open up various racing lines. I think the banking has been changed in various places since we started back. Maybe we need more of it throughout the bends?

The surface.

The type of shale, depth of shale, water content, binding content (old oil from the bikes in the days of the total loss engine has been suggested ?) how tightly packed ... lots of combinations there. Like 1 Valve, I can't understand why the riders were saying there was too much grip at BP and he had to take the top off for the Lakeside match and maybe for the Cov one as well. Apparently there wasn't any grip at Cov the night before and, so I read, there wasn't any passing there until heat 11. At the last two meetings at BP, the racing was good, (and I thought if it's like this all night we'll be OK), until the first track grade. After that, it was pretty much as it has been since the begining. Poor Glyn must be pulling his hair out trying to get the surface to everyone's liking.

The riders.

Do we get alot of processional races at BP because the riders don't think it's worth the risk/effort to try and pass or is it because they just can't pass? Some of the lads really push, and get rewarded for their efforts and it's great to see. But we've also seen what happens when they push too far. We have seen some good racing at BP, and passes have been made without riders making mistakes, so it can be done, but maybe other factors have to be in place as well for it all to come together?. Maybe these factors aren't as crucial at some tracks but at BP it seems to be essential.

I don't know what the solution is for BP but I don't think it's as easy as 'change the shape'. Sorry for going on a bit but this is quite a big topic. I'd really like it all to be sorted so that at least we can come on the forum and discuss the action, not the lack of it.

PS Yet another factor is the way the silencers now effect how the power is delivered. Maybe another time .....

PPS Am I right in thinking that the drains were moved over winter? If so, were the management waiting to see what EL racing is like at BP and if it's the same, is there a plan in place to make more changes to the track?

Edit for PPS

Edited by nobblytriers

The best shaped track for racing, though, (and I'll await the howls of derisive abuse :D ) is Stoke.

For tracks still around I'd have agree wholeheartedly though i think we are both probably living in an 80's/90's timewarp to remember how good it was!

Mick (and still not a patch on the best race track ever... Station Road)

PPS Am I right in thinking that the drains were moved over winter? If so, were the management waiting to see what EL racing is like at BP and if it's the same, is there a plan in place to make more changes to the track?

Edit for PPS

My uncle reckoned he went up to look the week before the season started and he didn't think they had moved anything. He thought they'd dug them up for repairs but couldn't see any evidence of change at all in the track or the siting of the drains. Not saying he wasn't mistaken though. At the ben fund meeting (the only one i been to this year) i certainly didn't see anything that remotely resembled an alteration to the track. If track changes had happened, however small, i'm also sure Glyn Taylor would have been on here to tell everyone exactly what had changed.

Edited by volty

Earth calling Hemsley , it's still not working , time to admit you got it wrong and accept that someone else knows better , while you still have a track to do it with . Even the hardcore Hemsley apologists are jumping ship now , so it must be getting lonely up there in cuckoo land

• Like 1

You're kidding right? Form memory we had Heat Hansen passing Pawlicki and giving Janowski a tough time. Heat 7 we had the two Kyles having a proper battle. Heat 8 had Poole gate on a 5-1 but Coventry get a 5-1 in the middle of that change around Hansen and Pawlicki changed places and Millik dived under Fisher on the last bend and nearly caught him. Heat 10 and Hansen passed Holder after spending 2.5 laps trying to pass him only for Holder to nip back underneath and then Hansen went back around him on the last bend. Heat 11 Janowski passed Howarth late on, thats Howarth who was last out of the gate and had to go through the middle of them all on bend 2. Heat 12 Josh G passed Fisher and then in heat 13 Holder was all over Harris drawing level a couple of times. Heat 14 and the two Kyles passed and then re-passed.

Now Leicester yesterday. Perry got close to Garrity in heat 2. Garrity locked up avoiding a locked up Ljung in heat 12 meaning Perry passed him only for Perry to lock up and be passed by Garrity. The end.

One was a great meeting was lots of passing down to skill. The other was terrible with passing only down to rider making mistakes.

As for your rant about the draft, proof you know jack. Newman IS one of the riders with EL experience. So to then complain he's inexperienced is a laugh. Oh, he got injured in the PL too, not the EL. So not sure what that has to do with the draft. Hougaard and Hansen got injured this week, maybe they should stick to the NL too?

A laudable try, SCB, but you know that with certain contributors to Leicester thread you are basically pi**ing into the wind when you try to induce any sense of realism!!

For me last night was the absolute lowest point of of Leicester Speedway,never have i come away so totally dispirited by what i had just witnessed.

I've tried,by God I've tried to be supportive to the promotion,but last nights 'racing' was probably the worst I've ever seen in my entire life! Everybody knows the track is very poor (i should say possibly the worst in the country) last night there was not 1 proper pass or any close 'racing' at all....once the riders get past the 2nd bend on the first lap you might as well fill your programme in!

How can racers like Mads,Simon Stead and Tom Perry even hope to pass when they don't make the gate....no chance on this track,surely the riders and Norrie Allen know that the track is not fit for purpose.

I don't blame Glyn,how can you polish a turd?

David Hemsley in his programme notes and in his column in the Leicester Mercury says the racing is good,is this man in charge of his faculties....Let me spell it out the 'racing ' is pants if he thinks otherwise he is obviously not the man to run Leicester Speedway.

I wonder if the riders are satisfied with the track having no racing lines?

I urge the 'promotion' to change the track into something resembling a proper speedway track with proper racing(surely it can't be that hard to bring both bends in,it could be done in a weekend)if not then sell it to somebody who can before it's too late!

My gut feeling is the whole thing is run by a bunch of amateurs without any thought for the general paying public!

Welcome to the real world. The road to Damascus is clearly still open