British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Malcolm Simmons Seriously Ill

IT is sad to see our friend and Backtrack star columnist Malcolm Simmons being cared for in a Kent hospice.

Super Simmo has been battling emphysema for a number of years and his condition has worsened significantly in recent weeks.

Thoughts and prayers with Simmo and his wife June.

Any messages of support posted here or on our Retro Speedway Facebook page will be printed off and forwarded to June.

Thank you.

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc

Really sad to hear. Simmo was one of the seventies superstar brits. He can only be in his late 60s as well. Hope he is comfortable for whatever time he has left

Best wishes to Simmo and his loved ones. Oh how Team GB could do with someone of Simmo's class to back up Tai.

SAD to hear that ... one of speedway's most stylish and accomplished riders who never attained the recognition and accolades his talent undoubtedly deserved.

Kelvin Tatum tells a nice story about how Simmo told him when he was just setting out on his career to follow him around Plough Lane and to learn how to ride the home of the Wimbledon Dons.

• Like 1

Best wishes to Malcolm, his wife friends and family.

I was fortunate enough and privileged enough to meet Malcolm Simmons once. He was a very kind and gentle man during our conversation. He was a 'Star' who was prepared to give of his time to talk to me. It was only about three years ago. He was someone who I admired so much as a Rider.

For me Malcolm came from the 'Golden Age' of British Speedway when our British Teams ruled the World. Simmons was one of the biggest jewels in our crown in those days - would that there were more like him today.

My Prayers and Best wishes are with you and your Family at this time Malcolm.

Thank you for the Memories and -

May God Bless you!

• Like 2

Oh dear, thats very sad to hear. Best wishes to Simmo his wife and family. He was a legend at Wimborne rd.

Best wishes to Malcolm, he made riding speedway look so easy with his silky style.

Absolutely. A legend on the track and a gentleman off it - have had the pleasure of meeting him twice. Including at Kent's opening meeting last year when - though he was clearly unwell - he actually looked absolutely fantastic and made it onto the Centre Green to be introduced to the crowd as the greatest of our parade of Greats of Kent Speedway that afternoon. Best wishes to Malcolm and his family.

Really sad to hear this! Loved watching Simmo around Plough Lane when I moved to London in 1981 and his visits to Dudley Wood in the 60's and 70's.

I've also enjoyed reading his book and column in Backtrack.

Best wishes Simmo.

Sad news indeed. I am not normally one to bang on about stars of the past but Simmo wlas something very special. As others have said he was is a really nice guy in addition too being a top rider. Somehow he managed to get to the top without the overt ruthless steak that a lot of lesser men feel is necessary. A great all-round motorcyclist with massive natural talent. I also heard that former West Ham and Wembley star Tony Clark died recently so links with speedways past are disappearing.

Edited by E I Addio

My thoughts are with Simmo, wife June and all his family members at what must be this testing time for them all.

Hang on in there Simmo, I always enjoyed his visits to Dudley Wood, he was always a class rider from for me "The Golden era" of British Speedway, my thoughts are with you Simmo and your wife and family, stay strong..

I saw Malcolm ride at Wimbledon in the mid 80's, brilliant rider and charismatic man. In spite of his talent, he always came across as a regular guy. Wishing Malcolm and his family all the best.