British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham V Kings Lynn Select Thurs 15th May

As a Coventry supporter who makes a pilgrimage 9 or 10 times a season (paid for next week as well) I was totally amazed at the lack of Brummies supporters at the Stadium. I sat in the bar area, lady year difficult to get a seat, tonight you could have got a regiment of Scots Guards in there, spot the customer. I hope it all turns round but I don't see what else the Promoters can do about it. Brummies wake up and support your team or you will lose it.

• Like 1

Well if further changes are not forthcoming, Alan Phillips has no grounds for complaint when people vote with their feet, we would have stood a chance tonight if Nico had the benefit of PL doubling up and Barker only being noticable for being in close attendance when King and Scornicki went down, speaking of which, what didi people watching the feed think of these ?, the King one was too far away for me to see well, but in heat 13, my impression was Barker made accidental contact and unsettled Scornicki, surprised to see Adam excluded.

I don't think there was contact with barker and sqora but you could see what the loon was going to do, he charged in and came across his partner in the bend... It appeared that Adam tried to turn harder and as he did so lifted violently.

Barker took king out earlier and crazily the ref excluded king.

Edited by BWitcher

Can't people see by now that the good citizens

of Birmingham aren't interested in speedway?

Sad but true.

Edited by OGT

Went over to Perry Bar and between races counted the attendance. Including the VIP suites I counted 550 (rounded up) in all classes, adults, seniors and children.

Shame as racing was better than we've had at Brandon this season.

Don't see how the promotor can go on as he must be losing thousands per meeting

Big Ron Atkinson was talking about the Brummies the other day on talksport, reminiscing about how as kid he would leave Villa Park earlier on a Saturday afternoon so he could get to Perry Barr and get a good view ahead of the other 30,000. Maybe someone from Birmingham should approach him and see if he can promote the club. Promote as in bring Speedway to a wide audience, Or maybe he might actually follow in the footstep of Doug Ellis and fancy having a go at being a promoter.

Edited by Pirio Barre

Appreciate you pointing out my floors.

Vinyl?

Can't people see by now that the good citizens

of Birmingham aren't interested in speedway?

Sad but true.

Didn't the horse bolt last July when Chris Luty wanted to liquidise(and I don't mean by putting it in a juicer!)Birmingham Speedway?

• Like 1

As a Coventry supporter who makes a pilgrimage 9 or 10 times a season (paid for next week as well) I was totally amazed at the lack of Brummies supporters at the Stadium.

The time to be amazed was several years ago.

I decided to give the first couple of meetings a miss for personal reasons, having not missed any since we reopened. Now, with June on the horizon, I still haven't gone back. To be honest I can't see a time when I will. The ease with which you get out of the habit, and the difficulty in getting back into it, is worrying.

Maybe I'm being selfish but I've come to the conclusion that a clean break is easier for me than the constant weariness that comes with ever decreasing crowds and ever mounting debts. We have been living on borrowed time for several years and I just got tired of worrying.

If the plug does get pulled, and I have already attended my last meeting at Perry Barr, then so be it. I wouldn't like it but right now I could live with it.

• Like 1

Yet Tony you are still interested enough in the Sport to post on here.

• Like 1

I'm not sure there's one root cause so much as many contributing factors that have alienated people over the last 3 years or so, in no particular order, I can think of:

Press releases from the current promotion that read as though biting the hand that feeds it

This absymal looking team on paper in February has turned out to be exactly that

The revolving door with rumour and counter rumour at Management/Boardroom level

Putting prices up sharply for play off matches, which angered plenty who have been there every week

Inability to decide on a race night, switching from Wednesday to Thursday and then back again a season later (not helpful if you work shifts or some evenings)

More press releases full of negativity at a time when the team was flying and that should have been said instead as it's more enticing

Some taking the hump with Drury and his methods years before he departed

With not much sign of improvement anytime soon, I suspect many still mistrust Alan Phillips

Take your pick if your looking for a sole reason, but I think all take a percentage of the blame for the current lack of turnout, loyalty and trust takes a lifetime to build but a moment to lose.

There was no money left at Brum the side was built on a tight budget they should of dropped down to the PL like Peterborough.

Why does this myth continue that the PL is the answer to all ills ?, a drop to the PL would see a corresponding drop in crowd levels and sponsors income as people say the club owners have no ambition.

Lower PL costs are a waste of bloody time if they bring PL crowds and revenue with them, you'd still be in the red, if people are not going to turn out for this shower of a team, how many do you think will turn up for effectively "division 2 speedway" after voluntary relegation ?.

And Peterborough didn't "drop down", they went bump, reformed and were offered PL take it or leave it.

Edited by david2905

Why does this myth continue that the PL is the answer to all ills ?, a drop to the PL would see a corresponding drop in crowd levels and sponsors income as people say the club owners have no ambition.

Lower PL costs are a waste of bloody time if they bring PL crowds and revenue with them, you'd still be in the red, if people are not going to turn out for this shower of a team, how many do you think will turn up for effectively "division 2 speedway" after voluntary relegation ?.

And Peterborough didn't "drop down", they went bump, reformed and were offered PL take it or leave it.

So everything you put in the first paragraph of this post you know for a fact, do you? As you put in #114, people won't watch a sub-standard team whether it's £15, £10 or £1.50, and I fully agree with that. But what if the PL team was a good and successful one? Kind of defeats your argument then, doesn't it? Unless you're saying the Birmingham public won't support speedway in the necessary numbers in future. And again, you would probably be right.

Oh, and get your facts right about Peterborough. They didn't go 'bump', as you put it. Rick Frost pulled the plug, almost certainly in total frustration after the shabby way they were treated by the BSPA/SCB last summer.

• Like 2

We'll feck off the forum tony and write on a forum you are interested.....

Quite.

Well if the promotion took note of the reasons so many fans, including some die hards who were involved in the campaign to bring the Brummies back, no longer attend Perry Barr, they might be able to act and win some back.

• Like 2