British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Premier League Pairs - Friday 11th July

A referee who I would suspect is now 'persona non grata' to the Sky regime. Just listen to the commentators, condemnation abounds. Did he poss.in his defence forget how the scoring system worked on that particular night?

While I like the idea of a neutral venue, just which allegedly Elite league track would risk exposing their fans to real competitive speedway racing? In fact, would the average EL fan even recognise it in relation to their own product. :wink:

Good job you put that smilie at the end! Some EL clubs are double treble PL champs so know exactly what the PL Is all about! :-)
  • Like 1

Scunthorpe would have been good for the pairs this year as a neutral venue.

Only neutral if they don't qualify,but we all know why the pairs is at somerset after the bspa stiffed tim stone.

• Like 1

Totally correct decision, certain Somerset fans crying like babies :).

The monarchs did absolutely the right thing in letting Allen go in the final, any one with half a brain can know that....not trying my arse.

Morris had 4 laps to try pass but bailed out straight away.

Well done Edinburgh.

• Like 8

Only person to blame is Morris, referee made the right and only call.

• Like 3

9 times out 10 if a rider go's down without any contact then he get's kick out like Morris did here . At no time Was Morris in Front so the other rider could choose his line as well . in the cold light of day the ref made a very brave and correct call the fact that it was a final with the tv there and a big crowd should never sway that .

• Like 6

Haven't read the thread all the way through but I`m guessing the exclusion of Morris is the main taking point, IMO perfectly correct decision, just because its a Pairs Final shouldn't mean there is a new set of rules and shame on Nigel Pearson for suggesting other wise. Yes it made the Final an anti-climax but Morris was rightly excluded.

Another decent advert for PL racing with lots of good racing on one of the best tracks in the PL. Congratulations to Edinburgh on their win and to Somerset Speedway on putting on an excellent meeting I hope they host the PL Pairs for many seasons to come.

• Like 5

Can't believe that people on here call themselves speedway fans. The correct decision would have been all 4 back. Watch the race again. Fricke goes wide but leaves Morris plenty of room. Fricke then straightens up as he is about to exit the bend and in turn ends up leaving Morris no room. NOBODY'S FAULT. People saying Morris laid it down obviously don't have any idea. What was he supposed to do just ride into the air fence! I agree that it doesn't matter what meeting it is the correct decision needs to be made but that was quite clearly a racing incident that warranted all 4 back. I keep reading the idiots who say that it wasn't first bend. I suggest you read and learn the rules. I wasn't worried who won but the exclusion was wrong. Nice to see the jumped up Monarchs fans on here total clowns the majority of them

Totally correct decision, certain Somerset fans crying like babies :).The monarchs did absolutely the right thing in letting Allen go in the final, any one with half a brain can know that....not trying my arse.Morris had 4 laps to try pass but bailed out straight away.Well done Edinburgh.

bailed out! After Fricke straightened up was he supposed to just ride into the air fence? He was ready to ride round Fricke and in a split second was forced towards the fence. Of course he had to get off it.
  • Like 1

I've seen it a few times, once to Glasgow, when both opposition riders were excluded leaving the two Glasgow riders to race each other. The rider in 2nd just hung back and tootled around. By lap 2 his exclusion light was in, as he was deemed not to have been racing.

Just saying like.

In a normal meeting the referee made the right decision. Morris was ridden out of it and beaten, so he decided to put the bike down and hope for another go with all four back...

...But considering the fact that an exclusion for anyone ends the meeting, the common-sense decision in this meeting would be all 4 back, even if the technically correct decision was to exclude Morris.

Daft comment from Tatum before the final "It's good to see it come down to a last heat decider"....What other finish can you have in the pairs? I predict tomorrow's GP will also go to a last heat decider.

agreed, but can you have 2 or more sets of rules, shame it ended like that, or maybe it could of happened again and again and there was only 1 rider left :-(,,, but I don't think the ref was wrong,,,

It's after the first bend, so by the book someone has to go. Can't tailor the rules to suit.

you could in my world, just make them up as you go along, not everyone agree's like ;-)

I am not saying anything about the exclusion although if it was 50/50 then all 4 back is normally the call.

What I find an absolute disgrace, and don't care what I get called, Monarchs were NOT deserved winners. Simply the reason why: speedway is a RACING sport and that is what they did not do in the re- run. Masters signalling to Fricke to slow down is a disgrace. Unportsmanship almost rubbing it in us Rebels faces.

excellent bit of team-riding,,, doing what's best for your team, that's what the pairs is about,,,

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

Went an enjoyed the pairs last night, drove from Devon in route to Cardiff. I must say it was lovely to meet so many familiar faces from the world of speedway but what was so disappointing was the lack of support from Plymouth.

i know the Demons were riding but come on please... Its like watching Scunthorpe (no offence intended).

when the legend Dick Barrie asked who was from Plymouth it was embarrassing.

that said great to see so many from edinburger and redcar. A truly enjoyable meeting.

Giving the pairing Plymouth had last night it shouldn't be the biggest surprise that so few Plymouth fans turned up.

Dick Barrie, legend. :blink::blink:

• Like 2

When your luck's in - your luck's in. Well done to Edinburgh but the referee decided where the silverware went and there was no need for the exclusion. As pointed out above, Fricke straightened up coming off the bend leaving Morris with no option.

• Like 1

There was probably more Plymouth fans than diamonds fans last night which was poor really considering the hundreds of diamonds fans who will be there today.

I've seen it a few times, once to Glasgow, when both opposition riders were excluded leaving the two Glasgow riders to race each other. The rider in 2nd just hung back and tootled around. By lap 2 his exclusion light was in, as he was deemed not to have been racing.

Just saying like.

I remember at an indoor meeting on a surface that was fairly dangerous,there was only 1 rider left in a heat and he poodled round and was excluded for not trying!!!!!Then again at another meeting there was a run-off in which both riders agreed on tactics and just went round wheelying for 4 laps and the ref done nothing.Half the fans thought it was the best thing they have ever seen and the other half were a bit annoyed