British Speedway Forum
ColinMills

Coventry Meeting Day

Just a suggestion, but for the G.P. on telly tonight Eurosport always try to encourage twitter participation with their #AskScott thing on twitter.

Could be good publicity to #AskScott if he'll support the campaign to save Brandon from any potential planning application from developers. Good publicity for your campaign on TV.

Good positive suggestion JL. :t::)

For all the avid Coventry fans out there who believe that Bomber is ''Mr.Coventry'' (including those who liken him to Ole Olsen)-- have any of you thought of getting him on board to fight the good fight??

• Like 1

For all the avid Coventry fans out there who believe that Bomber is ''Mr.Coventry'' (including those who liken him to Ole Olsen)-- have any of you thought of getting him on board to fight the good fight??

Does anyone refer to Olsen as Mr Coventry?

Mr Coventry is Nigel Boocock, and there are many similarities in riding styles between The Beau and Bomber

I'd like to forget all about Olsen in relation to Brandon, particularly for the damage his All Stars GP Circus has caused to British Speedway

If all fails with Brandon Stadium surviving, I hope that the roads in the new development bear the names of those who deserve to be remembered on the site, such as Ochiltree, Parker, Reason, Lightfoot, Owen, Mountford, Boocock, Bailey

• Like 5

If all fails with Brandon Stadium surviving, I hope that the roads in the new development bear the names of those who deserve to be remembered on the site, such as Ochiltree, Parker, Reason, Lightfoot, Owen, Mountford, Boocock, Bailey

Jepsen Jensen Avenue?

Thats not a bad idea, 5 world champs at coventry over the years, Olsen, NIelsen, Hancock, Havelock and Hamill what better than to get some sort of statement in support of the stadium.

• Like 1

.....Midland Red..... Bailey.......

You'll have to jog my memory on that name please.

Thats not a bad idea, 5 world champs at coventry over the years, Olsen, NIelsen, Hancock, Havelock and Hamill what better than to get some sort of statement in support of the stadium.

You missed out Jack Young

Pete Bailey, killed outside the stadium

Prefer to remember good club servants

Only Olsen and Hancock won as Bees

Edited by Midland Red

Can only think of Peter Bailey. Rode mainly for Ipswich, but also Coventry. Think he was killed in a road traffic accident outside Brandon stadium(?)

Pete was a lovely lad. My mate Chris Allen's (good cycle speedway rider in his day but also now passed, sadly) dad Frank used to tune for him and John Harrhy way back when, and transported their bikes to the stadium on a rack on the back of his old Mk X Jag.

Pete never really reached his potential, but is nevertheless sadly missed around Brandon.

I've '#asked' Scotty - worth a pop I suppose!

• Like 2

Thanks for the info about Peter Bailey as unfortunately I'd never heard of him, probably due to the fact I wasn't supporting Coventry back in the 70's. Very sad that he was killed in a road accident. :neutral:

He is a resident of Binley Woods so he will have a say anyway and if he can he will be at the meeting next week.

Edited by woz01

Hi everyone, can I just repeat Pete's request on the FB page that you email your Brandon story to savecoventrystadium@hotmail.com, basically telling us how long you've been going, what the stadium means to you, your best Brandon memories etc, along with your reasons for objecting to the stadium being re-developed. I will then print them all off and hand them in as letters of objection at Saturdays meeting. For this to have the impact we want I need as many responses as possible, so please get emailing people! :-)

This is aimed at fans of other clubs too, I'm sure no true speedway fan wants to see Brandon Stadium die so please get involved no matter what club you support, if you've enjoyed visiting Brandon as an away supporter in the past and want to see it continue, email us and tell us why!

Thank you in advance for your support!

• Like 1