British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

Yep thats what i mean by mod cons for the younger generation large screens in the toilets with hand sets to control the racing lol. :wink:

You may joke, but someone went on Dragons' Den with this very invention a series or so ago.

The urinal was connected to a video game which was then controlled by the speed and direction of your pee. (i'm not joking)

Imagine that. You could go into the bog, log-on to the Chris Harris app, make him go faster, and pee on Nicki Pedersen at the same time!

http://www.dailydooh.com/archives/73524

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 1

Profitable for whom? I doubt (m)any GPs turn a profit other than those run directly by BSI, and those are effectively subsidised by local tourist boards.

By the time the local promotion has coughed up the staging fee, it's difficult to see how the smaller GPS can be profitable.

THINK OO will have turned a profit last weekend...

While the concern about viability is heartwarming I'm baffled as to why nobody is showing the same concerns for Belle Vue if they stay where they are. The promotion are on record as saying speedway is not currently viable but nobody seems bothered, I've not seen a single post expressing concern?

It's almost as though nobody cares while we are in our relic of a once fine stadium but as soon as we move to a shiny new stadium then everything has to be just so.

As far a viability is concerned if the only income stream was speedway then I'm sure I read that we need an average of around 300 people through the gate to service the 'rent'. Our current gates of 450 easily cover that and obviously there will be income from weddings and corporate hospitality to name but two.

I don't think viability will be an issue but thanks for the concern.

Does this mean you'll actually pay all your riders when its built then? :lol:

After all a crowd of 450 isn't going to do so, not when 300 of that crowd is towards rent.

In all seriousness though, when the stadium does open I am confident it will be packed. Let's hope the track is put in correctly, provides some good racing and the majority of those fans are retained. There is a latent support in Manchester that can certainly be tapped into.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

While the concern about viability is heartwarming I'm baffled as to why nobody is showing the same concerns for Belle Vue if they stay where they are. The promotion are on record as saying speedway is not currently viable but nobody seems bothered, I've not seen a single post expressing concern?

It's almost as though nobody cares while we are in our relic of a once fine stadium but as soon as we move to a shiny new stadium then everything has to be just so.

As far a viability is concerned if the only income stream was speedway then I'm sure I read that we need an average of around 300 people through the gate to service the 'rent'. Our current gates of 450 easily cover that and obviously there will be income from weddings and corporate hospitality to name but two.

I don't think viability will be an issue but thanks for the concern.

Firstly well done to the promotion for achieving planning permission,proper concrete news.For me this is where the hard work really starts, ensuring that the stadium is built to schedule and doesn't incur any additional,potentially crippling costs.Looking at the detail, still not sure how the promotion will manage to pay back in excess of 4 grand a week including the close season .There's no money to be made in British speedway any more ,not sure there is a market for corporate hospitality to watch Belle Vue and how much demand there will be for weddings overlooking a speedway track / hockey pitch.Before people jump on me just remember Waterden Road Hackney,a brand new stadium,(even held a GP) that went to the wall at a time when speedway and the economy were in a much healthier state.

how much demand there will be for weddings overlooking a speedway track / hockey pitch.

Yes dear, we're going to get married at a speedway stadium... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

IMAGINE they are talking about wedding receptions but you never know. Stranger things have happened...

Firstly well done to the promotion for achieving planning permission,proper concrete news.For me this is where the hard work really starts, ensuring that the stadium is built to schedule and doesn't incur any additional,potentially crippling costs.Looking at the detail, still not sure how the promotion will manage to pay back in excess of 4 grand a week including the close season .There's no money to be made in British speedway any more ,not sure there is a market for corporate hospitality to watch Belle Vue and how much demand there will be for weddings overlooking a speedway track / hockey pitch.Before people jump on me just remember Waterden Road Hackney,a brand new stadium,(even held a GP) that went to the wall at a time when speedway and the economy were in a much healthier state.

And it was a nice grandstand, but from what I remember, the guy that built it/had it built, went bust and that was the end of that. And from memory, I believe there was some odd financial dealings, allegedly. BV is more sure footed, it seems.

In fact, it's been done. I remember, many years ago, in a televised meeting at Belle Vue, the cameras focussed on a bride in her wedding dress (and presumably husband) sitting in the stands. This was at Hyde Road.

I went to a tenth wedding anniversary bash at Kirky Lane (during a greyhound meeting)

....they separated shortly after!

I went to a tenth wedding anniversary bash at Kirky Lane (during a greyhound meeting)

....they separated shortly after!

What were the odds on that!

• Like 1

For all you Mockers on here.

I truly hope Belle Vue will succeed - it is really nice to see someone in Speedway with a bit of ambition and forward thinking. This in a Sport which is hardly known for it.

I wish nothing but Good Luck to Belle Vue 'ACES' (my Team for over FIFTY years). Perhaps the new Track may bring some of the Glory back to Manchester.

I CERTAINLY HOPE SO!!!

• Like 4

I think the American rider Eddie Ingals was married in a ceremony at Brough Park, possible 80's.

• Like 1

I think the American rider Eddie Ingals was married in a ceremony at Brough Park, possible 80's.

1984. Kenny carter was best man

• Like 1