British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

Just seen on Instagram that Zagar's mechanic is owed almost a 5 figure sum by Belle Vue

jetwash_jonny: "This feels like me with belle Vue, mechanic owed nearly five figure sum, hope you get sorted !"

Just seen on Instagram that Zagar's mechanic is owed almost a 5 figure sum by Belle Vue

jetwash_jonny: "This feels like me with belle Vue, mechanic owed nearly five figure sum, hope you get sorted !"

Why would Belle Vue pay his mechanic - surely that should come from the rider not the club.

Why would Belle Vue pay his mechanic - surely that should come from the rider not the club.

Some clubs do agree to pay a mechanic, just as they pay for a hired van and transportation costs.

• Like 1

The way Zagar performed this year, I'd say whoever mechanic'd for him probably owes Belle Vue money!

• Like 1

Some clubs do agree to pay a mechanic, just as they pay for a hired van and transportation costs.

They wonder how the sport is going down the tubes.

They wonder how the sport is going down the tubes.

Well riders get spoiled abroad and expect the same here, whatever the eventual consequences.

He also owns a blinds business and installed the blinds at the NSS so it's probably to do with that.

But again it doesn't surprise me if zagar dIddnt even have to pay for his mechanic and all he had to do is show Up and ride his bike for allegedly 3k per meeting

The are several clubs owed a lot more than that for payments from Belle Vue owed for visits there. But then again there are three other clubs that haven't been paying away points which sets up cash flow problems for the others. The sport is awash with debt.

I feel terribly sorry for Chris Morton. He is a good genuine bloke and doesn't deserve what's happened to him. Reading between the lines of his comments in SS it seems he has not been happy with Dave Gordon for some time, and Gordon's management of the clubs finances seems to be under a cloud. Some of the debts and problems were outside his control but some of the silly money he offered to one rider to sign as No1 for 2017 borders on reckless with the other debts that were piling up. As someone else has said, he can take credit for getting the NSS project off the ground but seems to have displayed some terrible finanancial judgment. I suppose with hindsight we may be able to say that the incident a couple of years ago with the imaginary burst water pipe may have been an indicator of what was to come later. There is probably a lot that will never come out though.

• Like 1

I could name 2 promoters who had a certain rider mentioned who when asked to name the one rider they would never ever consider having in their team were unanimous in their choice.

Maybe significant or not, but during all the interviews they have given on local TV from the start of the project to the completion, Mort and and Gordon have never looked really happy, as if something was constantly troubling them...?

As a former Aces fan, not to say a major Chris Morton fan, I've followed this with interest.

Kudos to Philip Rising, the Star isn't perfect, but despite the obsessive trolling he gets on here, what the Star staff pull together on a weekly basis for a minority sport is a minor miracle.

Similarly, the situation at Belle Vue. A brand new speedway stadium with the sport at its centre piece in a major city location with a fantastic track in today's financial climate is a minor miracle.

It's pretty clear that Mort and Dave Gordon are not the men to make a success of multi-sport facility. But it doesn't detract from them having a vision and making it happen. Whatever people think of them, at least they had the balls to give it a go. Others spend too much time scratching theirs.

Would Belle Vue be in a better position trundling along at Kirky Lane now? They'd be a lot closer to their slow, painful death.

As it is, the sport has a brand new facility, a fresh start for next season, a council with an appetite to make a success of it and most of all a real opportunity - IF the right people are involved.

You forget to add that they oversaw the first year in operation of this project absorbing all admission money, sponsorship money and supporters buy a brick money but chose to not pay a penny in contractual rent and leave many of there own riders owed money. Why credit may be due for " a vision " the economics which some pointed out at the time were absolute folly and came home to roost big time , so maybe all the backslapping is a little misplaced

• Like 2

I wouldn't have been happy taking over a stadium that wasn't built correctly (the third and fourth bends) and wasn't finished on time. The terracing on the south stand was only temporary and has since been removed.Surely its up to MCC to now make sure the build is finished to spec so that the new promoters don't encounter the same problems as DG and Mort did.p

Regarding the opening meeting abandonment and subsequent financial consequences, it occurs to me that the meeting could just have easily been rained off.

What would the difference have been?