British Speedway Forum
OILYRAG

Something Got To Change (sheffield)

I don't think we could replace Schrammy with Lambert, without dropping someone else. If you make a multiple swap (i.e 2 or more riders) you then have to build to 42.50. Whearas replacing Schrammy you can bring in a 3.92 (or below) rider. Lambert, as I understand it (if allowed to ride PL & EL) would come in on around an 8.00. Kingy's new real average is going to be over 9 (I think).

Anyway, this is supposed to be a Sheffield thread!!!

Thanks for that Steve. :t::approve::)

The interesting g thing with Sheffield at the moment is who would you replace? The 3 riders I would have said under serious threat previously were Lanham, Poole and Nielsen. All 3 have improved over the past few weeks in my opinion. On the other hand, Compton and Bates haven't looked as good over the last few weeks in my opinion... Proctor is of course the anomaly, brought in to strengthen the team and so far epically failed, but again over the past few weeks has looked considerably better and it would be a surprise if he were to make way for anybody.

I fear for Nielsen on the basis that Bates is going nowhere with his family connection and we could probably make the biggest change in terms of increasing the overall average by releasing him. I think that would be unfair given his performances over the last few weeks personally, but such is life.

The interesting g thing with Sheffield at the moment is who would you replace? The 3 riders I would have said under serious threat previously were Lanham, Poole and Nielsen. All 3 have improved over the past few weeks in my opinion. On the other hand, Compton and Bates haven't looked as good over the last few weeks in my opinion... Proctor is of course the anomaly, brought in to strengthen the team and so far epically failed, but again over the past few weeks has looked considerably better and it would be a surprise if he were to make way for anybody.

I fear for Nielsen on the basis that Bates is going nowhere with his family connection and we could probably make the biggest change in terms of increasing the overall average by releasing him. I think that would be unfair given his performances over the last few weeks personally, but such is life.

Yet Bates outscored Nielsen last week. he's been scoring pretty much on par with Simon, mostly better all season. I feel out of all the squad, Nielsen is the most likely candidate and rightly so. He has looked better over last few week, actually going in the dirt and going for it. But his score really hasn't reflected it at all. I'd disagree to where bates is only keeping his place because his family are running the place. He's actually scored valuable points that have actually won us meetings.

I agree SKJ and I'd keep em all. I think Nielsen was under pressure but his form in recent weeks has been better ALTHOUGH I have rarely seen a rider pick up more lucky points where others have either stopped or fallen. It's probably because he never gives up though and he's aggressive. Exactly the sort of rider I like. Anyway, who's available if a change were to be made?

how about this for a revised line up

stead

Compton

mellgren/rosen

katajisto

proctor

poole

bates

42.05 with mellgren in, and 41.27 with rosen.

can anyone tell me whats happened at Plymouth with katajisto?

I agree SKJ and I'd keep em all. I think Nielsen was under pressure but his form in recent weeks has been better ALTHOUGH I have rarely seen a rider pick up more lucky points where others have either stopped or fallen. It's probably because he never gives up though and he's aggressive. Exactly the sort of rider I like. Anyway, who's available if a change were to be made

I'd look at bringing in Rob Lambert or Mellegren if possible. They'd both make us a hell of a lot stronger! Not sure if there's any riders about that haven't rode in Britain yet though.

Edited by skj

I don't think we could replace Schrammy with Lambert, without dropping someone else. If you make a multiple swap (i.e 2 or more riders) you then have to build to 42.50. Whearas replacing Schrammy you can bring in a 3.92 (or below) rider. Lambert, as I understand it (if allowed to ride PL & EL) would come in on around an 8.00. Kingy's new real average is going to be over 9 (I think).

Anyway, this is supposed to be a Sheffield thread!!!

Yes now, but not then. ;)

I was under the impression that any rider who starts the season on an assessed average is unable to double up for the rest of that season however their average may alter.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that any rider who starts the season on an assessed average is unable to double up for the rest of that season however their average may alter.

You could be right, but my understanding after we got stopped signing Robert, was that we would look at the possibility again when Danny got a new average. I remember at the time saying "yes, but he will have an even higher average then, and others might increase their averages". See what happens when Danny gets his new average.

I hope he can double up this year, more racing will do him the world of good.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

I'm sure we (Newcastle) would have him in place of Schrammy if he doesn't come back for a while. He has done very well for us as a Guest.

Robert Lambert's case for doubling-up/down is a freakish one because he didn't turn 16 (early-April) until this season was already underway and, therefore, can't fulfil the usual doubling-up/down requirement to have a calculated average (Elite or Premier) from the previous year simply because he wasn't old enough to ride in either of those leagues at any stage of the 2013 season !!

Don't forget as well that neither of the last two British "teenage superstars" wanted to fill-up their 16-year-old schedules with double team-places because Lewis Bridger made a big thing of going straight to the Elite League at that age while Tai Woffinden happily settled for just a Premier place at Rye House ... fairly obvious by now which one of them made the right or wrong career-building decision there !!

So in this era of much more common double team-places, there's no real previous example of what to do with someone as young as 16 who appears keen to take on double commitments (and is clearly talented enough to be a good attraction at Premier League tracks) with only his youthfulness causing a problem with the rulebook.

The chances are that old chestnut "for the good of speedway" will be trotted out if a Premier club is able to fit Lambert into their 1-to-7 on an average reflecting what he's already achieving in the Elite League ... Newcastle's attempt to sign him back in May required not only that chestnut but also counting him as a 3-point newcomer at Premier level when he was already in the main body of an Elite team !!

As for future team changes ,,, Ty Proctor's average becomes 6.40 for the rest of July from tomorrow onwards (a week after his 4th qualifying home meeting covering both his short Plymouth-2013 spell before injury as well as his current time at Sheffield) so he's still listed at 9.22 for tonight's rearranged trip to Scunthorpe.

Once he's officially 6.40 that leaves Sheffield 3.06 under the 42.50 limit, so their available points for dropping any of the current side (3.06 plus each rider's July average) would be 10.13 for Leigh Lanham ... 8.18 for Andre Compton ... 6.87 for Simon Nielsen ... 6.81 for Taylor Poole ... and 6.64 for Josh Bates.

Meanwhile (just briefly as this is Sheffield's thread but it's already been mentioned above), over at Newcastle, all of Stuart Robson, Ludvig Lindgren and Lewis Kerr have increased their averages since Danny King was squeezed-in on his 11.18 converted-average in mid-May so the whole Diamonds lineup now totals 44.77 and that means even a proper Premier average of only 8.91 for King after next Thursday's trip to Sheffield (his 4th qualifying away meeting) would still put the Diamonds on the total limit of 42.50, thus preventing any strengthening elsewhere in their lineup despite the change in King's status.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2

Robert Lambert's case for doubling-up/down is a freakish one because he didn't turn 16 (early-April) until this season was already underway and, therefore, can't fulfil the usual doubling-up/down requirement to have a calculated average (Elite or Premier) from the previous year simply because he wasn't old enough to ride in either of those leagues at any stage of the 2013 season !!

Don't forget as well that neither of the last two British "teenage superstars" wanted to fill-up their 16-year-old schedules with double team-places because Lewis Bridger made a big thing of going straight to the Elite League at that age while Tai Woffinden happily settled for just a Premier place at Rye House ... fairly obvious by now which one of them made the right or wrong career-building decision there !!

So in this era of much more common double team-places, there's no real previous example of what to do with someone as young as 16 who appears keen to take on double commitments (and is clearly talented enough to be a good attraction at Premier League tracks) with only his youthfulness causing a problem with the rulebook.

The chances are that old chestnut "for the good of speedway" will be trotted out if a Premier club is able to fit Lambert into their 1-to-7 on an average reflecting what he's already achieving in the Elite League ... Newcastle's attempt to sign him back in May required not only that chestnut but also counting him as a 3-point newcomer at Premier level when he was already in the main body of an Elite team !!

As for future team changes ,,, Ty Proctor's average becomes 6.40 for the rest of July from tomorrow onwards (a week after his 4th qualifying home meeting covering both his short Plymouth-2013 spell before injury as well as his current time at Sheffield) so he's still listed at 9.22 for tonight's rearranged trip to Scunthorpe.

Once he's officially 6.40 that leaves Sheffield 3.06 under the 42.50 limit, so their available points for dropping any of the current side (3.06 plus each rider's July average) would be 10.13 for Leigh Lanham ... 8.18 for Andre Compton ... 6.87 for Simon Nielsen ... 6.81 for Taylor Poole ... and 6.64 for Josh Bates.

Meanwhile (just briefly as this is Sheffield's thread but it's already been mentioned above), over at Newcastle, all of Stuart Robson, Ludvig Lindgren and Lewis Kerr have increased their averages since Danny King was squeezed-in on his 11.18 converted-average in mid-May so the whole Diamonds lineup now totals 44.77 and that means even a proper Premier average of only 8.91 for King after next Thursday's trip to Sheffield (his 4th qualifying away meeting) would still put the Diamonds on the total limit of 42.50, thus preventing any strengthening elsewhere in their lineup despite the change in King's status.

Yes, but he was in the main body of the team on a 3pt average, the same as any doubling up/down 'Fast Track' rider, which, I guess, was Newcastle's argument? :unsure:

• Like 1

One point yesterday from Simon Nielsen, but paid 14 Sunday guesting for Newcastle. According to his Sheffield average it would take him more than 3 meetings to get paid 14 for Sheffield. Why can't he do it for us?