British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

I know for a fact there will be some sizeable sums donated ... People I've spoken to would make a decent initial payment and then donate monthly as they see the continuation of speedway in birmingham so if we do keep going and if a big if we should keep this open

Hopefully that will be the case. But bear in mind that not only I assume is the objective to wipe/clear outstanding debts but a large sum will also be needed for future use. Is the target £10,000 going to be enough? Again, best wishes to this and I will be making a donation via Papypal.

how where can you make a donation please?....

is it possible for everyclub to have buckets for collections..its not forcing anyone to give, but give them the option to help?

Because the sport panders to the oldies who have gone since 1960. It calls itself a family sport and alienates the young. Its a sport that while high risk and adrenaline packed frowns at riders have a spat and frowns at any fans who dares to get excited at a crash. Then wonders why the fans don't come back!

Absolutely 100% fooking bang on pal.

how where can you make a donation please?....

is it possible for everyclub to have buckets for collections..its not forcing anyone to give, but give them the option to help?

Link Below, thank you Colin

http://www.brummiespeedway.net/forum/index.php?action=page;id=6

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 2

Absolutely 100% fooking bang on pal.

The hard cold facts are that the fans have fell out of love with the sport due to teams made up of anyone who is around that night, poor presentation,and crap stadiums , just look at rugby union 20 years ago they where playing to no more than 200 fans, now you cant get a ticket on the day at most premiership venues , if its not to late speedway needs to take a leaf out of other major sports and get into the present day , I have been a speedway supporter for over forty years but I fear the end of regular league racing is not far away Edited by broadsider 55
  • Like 8

The hard cold facts are that the fans have fell out of love with the sport due to teams made up of anyone who is around that night, poor presentation,and crap stadiums , just look at rugby union 20 years ago they where playing to no more than 200 fans, now you cant get a ticket on the day at most premiership venues , if its not to late speedway needs to take a leaf out of other major sports and get into the present day , I have been a speedway supporter for over forty years but I fear the end of regular league racing is not far away

spot on

The hard cold facts are that the fans have fell out of love with the sport due to teams made up of anyone who is around that night, poor presentation,and crap stadiums , just look at rugby union 20 years ago they where playing to no more than 200 fans, now you cant get a ticket on the day at most premiership venues , if its not to late speedway needs to take a leaf out of other major sports and get into the present day , I have been a speedway supporter for over forty years but I fear the end of regular league racing is not far away

Great Post - and sadly true.

Edited by The White Knight

Positive start guys I've tweeted loads of local people to give shout outs and retweets having a rest will carry on in ten minutes.. Keep pestering collymore to give a shout on radio and retweet he has I think 800 thousand followers if you can think of anyone let me know

I was just sitting here thinking of ways to save the club and it hit me.

How if people including staff, riders and stadium etc haven't been paid for upto 3 months by Birmingham then where has all the income from the last three months gone??? If all these costs had been paid out I could understand there being a deficit but as they haven't.......

• Like 4

Hopefully that will be the case. But bear in mind that not only I assume is the objective to wipe/clear outstanding debts but a large sum will also be needed for future use. Is the target £10,000 going to be enough? Again, best wishes to this and I will be making a donation via Papypal.

A very realistic view of getting the right balance between well-meaning fundraising and actually solving the problem.

While I repeat it's wonderful to hear about so many heartfelt offers of help, not only does there need to be a properly-assessed target of what amount of money's required but also a fair target of what this fund's trying to achieve.

Is this fund simply aiming to wipe out the Brummies' existing debts so that a fresh promotion can spend the next few months working out the best way to make a debt-free fresh start for the 2015 season ?

Or is this fund also aiming to prop up being able to complete the remaining 2014 fixtures which have little chance of breaking-even or being profitable on their own given how few riders are available in the short-term to strengthen a lineup currently in the bottom two of the Elite League (admittedly while not yet having had a chance to race any of its 4 meetings against bottom-club Leicester that might make the Brummies' overall record look a bit better) ?

A couple of days ago, I posted on this thread how vital it's going to be to accurately target in the right order where any funds need to be spent.

Personally, if the initial fundraising target's £10,000, then (and I make no apologies if anyone thinks this sounds harsh) that might barely be enough to get the GRA's extra padlocks off any speedway areas at Perry Barr and square up a few other vital off-track bills, never mind bringing into view next year's fresh start or the rest of this year's fixture-list.

Just 3 weeks of outstanding stadium-rent plus the latest month of doctor/ambulance bills would probably eat up well over £7,000 ... make it 4 weeks of stadium-rent and May's medical bill as well and then the whole 10-grand's gone straight away without paying anything that might be owed to the riders or other clubs or the Brummies' matchday staff.

Then there's the one massive item that can't be priced up in all of this ... the GRA's willingness to let anyone else promote speedway at Perry Barr and risk another rent debt piling up even if the previous debt's settled for now.

Perhaps the biggest clue as to just how deep the Brummies' debts may be is that it took just 5 days (last Wednesday to yesterday) to go from the whole story exploding in the first place to both Nigel Pearson and Alex Harkess either tweeting or being quoted along the lines of last night looking like it would be the club's final meeting with a timescale to make the riders free-agents already in place ... if significant folk like that can reach such a glum conclusion so quickly rather than battling hard to salvage the situation, I dread to think how much debt's already stacked up.

Therefore, as a modest estimate, I'd reckon it's going to take well over £30,000 just to square up what's already happened this season before abandoning the rest of it to concentrate on that 2015 fresh start ... and you can easily double that figure to guarantee propping-up the rest of this season's fixtures.

It wouldn't surprise me if even £100,000 (and yes, I have put the right number of noughts on that figure) rather than £10,000 could prove a more accurate fundraising figure to really rescue Birmingham.

Absolutely fantastic if 100-grand is collectable to save the Brummies ... but don't complain if smaller targets early in this fundraising process get swallowed up even faster than they're pledged.

How if people including staff, riders and stadium etc haven't been paid for upto 3 months by Birmingham then where has all the income from the last three months gone??? If all these costs had been paid out I could understand there being a deficit but as they haven't.......

Maybe it's become all to easy for some Elite League clubs to get into the habit of using the early part of the next season's Sky money to round-off the previous season's bills.

This is the first season of the new Sky deal that almost certainly makes that habit tougher to continue.

But if the previous season's bills still need rounding off ... ?

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 4

I made these comments below some 11 pages ago. I'm concerned people don't seem interested in answers as to what's gone on. No doubt the radio later in the week won't dig into these questions either

The strong Brummies fans did say at the start of the season they'd see this coming but hoped it wouldn't. The GRA are probably asking ridiculous number's but Phillips was aware of these numbers but got himself in debt to the track owners and not pay rider's etc.

So where has the gate / sponsorship monies gone? Has he's supped it up to cover his losses? Has he made any losses at all and just been bankrolling everything?

Brummies fans need answer's and very swiftly.

I'd imagine Tony Mole isn't taking the Brummies on again because Phillips want money for the licence plus any debt to be carried by the club. That's just not reasonable.

• Like 2

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/foCy1/sh/f3fNO7

Would it be possible to set up a public meeting I.e a club /pub with the supporters trust and fans that want to help ?? Deano can we maybe speak to the trust again pal ?

A very good idea. You really need to have a public meeting with your promotion also in attendance.

A very good idea. You really need to have a public meeting with your promotion also in attendance.

Preferably without the promotion in attendance thanks! ;)