British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

it the level of losses being sustained are a high as it is said,over 100k/season plus locked out of the stadium until arrears is paid,again said to be around 10k,as much i i admire the efforts to raise money,what the hell happens to my donation if the cash raised isnt enough?

id love to make a donation to try and help i just feel that your efforts will fall along way short of what is needed ,and after it has been saved, if you can,how will you continue to raise funds to keep it going?

Its a great idea to try and save it,but then what?

Good luck

Edited by montie

it the level of losses being sustained are a high as it is said,over 100k/season plus locked out of the stadium until arrears is paid,again said to be around 10k,as much i i admire the efforts to raise money,what the hell happens to my donation if the cash raised isnt enough?

id love to make a donation to try and help i just feel that your efforts will fall along way short of what is needed ,and after it has been saved, if you can,how will you continue to raise funds to keep it going?

Good luck

The more this campaign to save Birmingham goes on the starker realities of what is involved is now emerging. The early sentiment of the campaign and fund raining is now beginning to face tge cold realities involved. I fully ensorse what you say, and I have raised some pointers of my own previously in regard to the 'save Birmingham and help raise funds' venture. There have been similar issues to this in football at smaller clubs - funds have been raised to keep insolvent clubs going and they do sometimes temporarily emerge to a blaze of trumpets but in the end the previous problems again present themselves.

Good luck

Money will be returned if speedway doesn't continue and the campaign fails.

This campaign is intended to support next seasons revival under new owners. It is not intended to bail out the current promotion.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

The more this campaign to save Birmingham goes on the starker realities of what is involved is now emerging. The early sentiment of the campaign and fund raining is now beginning to face tge cold realities involved. I fully ensorse what you say, and I have raised some pointers of my own previously in regard to the 'save Birmingham and help raise funds' venture. There have been similar issues to this in football at smaller clubs - funds have been raised to keep insolvent clubs going and they do sometimes temporarily emerge to a blaze of trumpets but in the end the previous problems again present themselves.

Clearly the Ltd company that operates Birmingham Speedway is insolvent, probably both cash flow and balance sheet. To continue trading under these conditions is "wrongful trading" and can leave directors vulnerable.

The likely outcome of this now is that the ltd company will go into liquidation and the inevitable trail of unpaid debts left in its wake.

The GRA are likely going to be the biggest losers in it all and I can,t see them welcoming speedway back with open arms in the future, certainly any rent will be inflated to recoup some losses and no doubt payable up front

For those of you accessing the donation page. the money shown there is only the monies donated through that page. the truer figure at this point in time is in excess of £4000.

If this is not successful all monies will be returned to the donors or to the Speedway riders benevolent fund if that is preferred by each individual. Please understand that this is not to bail out the current owners and they will not see a penny of it.

Money will be returned if speedway doesn't continue and the campaign fails.

This campaign is intended to support next seasons revival under new owners. It is not intended to bail out the current promotion.

Just a suggestion, but why not give it to the SRBF rather than going to the trouble of sending it back ?

• Like 1

Interesting article on the sports-radio website: -

http://sports-radio.co.uk/radio/archives/2180#more-2180

It's a load of crap.

The fans.
We need to take responsibility for two things. My second point will be dealt with when I talk about the Brummies Fans Forum. Put quite bluntly not enough of us turned up. There are supporters out there that have stopped coming. They still watch from afar but for one reason or another they don’t attend Perry Barr. If you are one of those, shame on you. (I of course exclude those who cannot come due to finances and/or have too far to travel.) To be even more blunt if we don’t turn up in more numbers (and we are not talking thousands here.) we don’t deserve to have speedway in Birmingham.
News for people who peddle this crap. The people who don't go any more won't care if it's not there any more. You can heap as much blame on them as you like but they don't go any more and whose fault is that? Birmingham speedway doesn't have some God given right for people to turn up. Also, those who don't turn up are not fans. So having a go at the "fan" (the people who turn up) is not a good idea.
Edited by SCB

If this Matt Ford comment has already appeared on this very active board I apologise. It's good reading - http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/11312985.Poole_Pirates_chief_Ford__Lessons_to_be_learned_from_Birmingham_plight/?ref=la

Sloppy to say that there is a 400k shortfall, implying that is what's owed. My understanding is that what the promotion claims they have put into the club over their tenure, the debts owed are a lot less

Sloppy to say that there is a 400k shortfall, implying that is what's owed. My understanding is that what the promotion claims they have put into the club over their tenure, the debts owed are a lot less

It doesn't mention debts, it says shortfall, as in between income and expenditure, and is correct, not sloppy at all

It's a load of crap.

News for people who peddle this crap. The people who don't go any more won't care if it's not there any more. You can heap as much blame on them as you like but they don't go any more and whose fault is that? Birmingham speedway doesn't have some God given right for people to turn up. Also, those who don't turn up are not fans. So having a go at the "fan" (the people who turn up) is not a good idea.

Yes but that is easier than asking why those fans don't go anymore and taking measures to try and get them back.

Remember "Use it or lose it" is the brain dead promoters mantra

It's a load of crap.

To be fair, a lot of negativity in statements, even to the point of calling fans Sewer Rats on Twitter meant a lot of people stopped going on principle, granted we might have ended up in this situation anyway, but Phillips made a bad situation even worse by putting his mouth ahead of his brain, many companies would sack their PR guy if some of the things that have come out of the Brummies management came out of their company.

If your going to bite the hand that feeds you, you can't complain when the dog dies of starvation, I'm certain a number would return for a new promoter with the cause of many grievances gone.

Edited by david2905
  • Like 2

Its a terrible trait often seen in speedway that promoters (some) come out and scorn the fans in general because not enough of them come to watch.

Sometimes big City teams just don't work, Oxford was the same, huge population but largely a student based community and the rest never had any interest. (that will need to change if they reopen)

London Lions in 96 was an absolute flop, brand new stadium but crap viewing and more often than not crap racing not too mention the busy East London roads to deal with.

• Like 1

It doesn't mention debts, it says shortfall, as in between income and expenditure, and is correct, not sloppy at all

Yes but that is easier than asking why those fans don't go anymore and taking measures to try and get them back.

Remember "Use it or lose it" is the brain dead promoters mantra

A 400k financial shortfall. Only becomes correct when put into a context of time. I still reckon a more realistic figure to have printed would be the actual much lower figure of debts owed.

A 400k financial shortfall. Only becomes correct when put into a context of time. I still reckon a more realistic figure to have printed would be the actual much lower figure of debts owed.

The problem being that the total amount of debts owed is being pieced together whereas the £400k shortfall figure over a number of years is what has been quoted by Phillips