British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Whilst I do not blame the BSPA for Mr. Phillips predicament, nor expect them to bail the club out, I have to say a few things having listened to the programme.

First and foremost, for the BSPA to not attend is exceptionally poor positioning. Their reasoning of not attending is, to be honest, totally incredulous.

Secondly, Tony Mole, as a spokesperson of the association, appeared a very confused individual. He added very little value with his input; contradicted himself regularly; and appeared somewhat vague to some of the questions directed towards him. Not being present at the meeting with Alan Phillips makes one question what his actual responsibilities as Chairman consist of? Is this guy actually getting a wage from the BSPA? I seriously hope not. Moreover, surely even if he was unable to attend such an important meeting, are we to believe that it's content was not minuted? "I was told......." Carried the depth of a grain of sand. Moreover, that good old cliche "we've been working very hard......." just had to also creep in didn't it. Forget about 'working very hard' Mr Mole (by the way, turning up for important meetings would be a start) - what are you (or your association) doing in order to expedite the non-payment of riders by, I believe, FOUR other clubs?

Mr Phillips meanwhile was similarly unconvincing. Again, a fair few contradictions; albeit he has brought about a new excuse - no longer "the cheque's in the post" but nowadays it's a case of "our Internet banking went down". And yes Mr Phillips, this excuse did indeed sound somewhat unbelievable.

Then, along comes a breath of fresh air in the shape of Tiff(?). Someone that could actually converse well, answer all questions posed fluently and genuinely sounded concerned about the future of her club without apportioning blame. But then, Tiff is a Speedway Supporter, so should we really be surprised. ;)

Finally, fair play to the commentator who at least tried to get a resolution to the current problem; something which I now have to question is the genuine goal of either the BSPA, or the current Birmingham Promotion.

For a self proclaimed voice of reason you want to get your facts right-Tony Mole is president(presumably an honorary position for past services to the BSPA) and I would think was on the programme as an ex-Birmingham promoter and one who`s trying to keep them alive. Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

I don't think either party came out of it with to much credit. There seemed a lot of half truths from both sides. If the BSPA could pull the plug on any promotion over just 8.5k then they could be visiting a track near you at anytime.

I wrongly thought the bond was around the 50k mark. Maybe the BSPA should up the 8.5k amount as it does seen rather inadequate in this day and age.

I guess all will be revealed if Mole is the new owner of Birmingham at the start of 2015.

Amazing he offered 5k for the business without knowing what the debt actually was.

You are another one who hasn`t got a clue-The Birmingham Promotion have run up possible debts of a figure that has 5 noughts with a 1 preceding it-and you think it`s a BSPA conspiracy to get them out.

so says the mouth piece of Andy Povey!

For a self proclaimed voice of reason you want to get your facts right-Tony Mole is president(presumably an honorary position for past services to the BSPA) and I would think was on the programme as an ex-Birmingham promoter and one who`s trying to keep them alive.

So as a self-proclaimed 'racer and royal', please firstly wind your neck in, and then enlighten us with some 'facts'.

What are Tony Mole's actual responsibilities as President of the BSPA?

Does he receive a wage from them for his services? If so, how much?

If he is indeed 'trying to keep them alive' then what has he, or his(?) association actually done (to date) in order to collate unpaid monies? He did not deny this during the interview so one could assume that this statement by Mr. Phillips actually had some degree of credibility.

The only evidence we heard from Mr. Mole regarding his efforts to 'keep them alive' (as you suggest) was his admission that he had offered a sum of money, albeit a derisory amount, for some of it's assets. The term vulture sprang instantly to mind.

I'm sure that many of us await your measured response with baited breath.

Have a pleasant evening. x

So as a self-proclaimed 'racer and royal', please firstly wind your neck in, and then enlighten us with some 'facts'.

If he is indeed 'trying to keep them alive' then what has he, or his(?) association actually done (to date) in order to collate unpaid monies? He did not deny this during the interview so one could assume that this statement by Mr. Phillips actually had some degree of credibility.

The only evidence we heard from Mr. Mole regarding his efforts to 'keep them alive' (as you suggest) was his admission that he had offered a sum of money, albeit a derisory amount, for some of it's assets. The term vulture sprang instantly to mind.

I think you should read post 617 from Arthur Cross!

What I found a little strange from the radio discussion was the Phillips accusation that it was all BSPA's fault!!? Did Phillips not issue a statement a week or so ago stating that he was walking away from speedway - he'd had enough and he couldn't lose any more money having put in over £400k? This was referred to early on in the chat by Tony Mole.

Then he claimed to have enough to cover all the debts!! It just doesn't add up to me.

Fingers crossed from all supporters that something positive can be sorted by 14th.

• Like 2

No apology for mixing Mr Harkess and Mr mole up then.
  • Like 2

Harkess, has he completed that enquiry into the shambles that was the Elite League Riders Championship ? Have the announced the new date yet ?

Two replies, no 'facts' forthcoming.

What a surprise.

Not a surprise at all because that knowledgeable chap Arthur Cross had already posted the main answers in his edited post 617-Still no apology for making yourself look a bit of a burke.

Two replies, no 'facts' forthcoming.

What a surprise.

You've been given an answer, and it made your post look rather misguided

Are you for real? Anyone with a ounce of speedway knowledge know who Tony Mole is, what is role is and what he has done for the sport. And that he is NOT a vulture.

Brum could be saved if the BSPA wanted to. If Brum shuts it's because the BSPA didn't want to keep it open.

What needs to be worked out are the reasons why that might be the case.

I listened to this program today and Alan Phillips tried to portray himself as the victim and the knight in shinning armour just waiting to step in and heroically save the Brummies.Its amazing how all this money has amazingly materialised just as the Brummies have been removed from the league and their results expunged.This guy is a charlatan,only 2 weeks ago he told us there was no debt,now there is debt (he says £45,000,Tony Mole says it is more,I know who I believe).When asked if he had the money to pay it off he said "yes" then backtracked to say almost.If Alan Phillips wanted so much to save the Brummies why did he not do it last week when there was hope rather than after the club was liquidated and past the point of return.Blaming the BSPA is just a public relations exercise to hopefully paint himself as the good guy rather than the villain,he should be thanking the BSPA,they were paying the riders last week while Phillips was sitting on his hands.I don't believe for one minute Phillips has the cash or any intention to see the continuation of speedway at Birmingham he just wants to save face !My sympathies are with the supporters !They say its hope that kills you ! Edited by New Science

Odd no one has mentioned GD interview on Radio WM, He was so incensed in what was said he called the radio station, so they interviewed him, Mark Regan asked him " what is your views on what Phillips said, his answer " A load of baloney" classic

His piece in todays Birmngham Mail also made for very interesting reading

Odd no one has mentioned GD interview on Radio WM, He was so incensed in what was said he called the radio station, so they interviewed him, Mark Regan asked him " what is your views on what Phillips said, his answer " A load of baloney" classic

His piece in todays Birmngham Mail also made for very interesting reading

Not on line yet-could you give a precis of what he said in the article.

Will Drury be back in harness once Mole takes back control next season ?