British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Sad to hear of Birminghams demise, really feel for the Brummies fans ...it seems incredible that a major city cannot support Speedway, about three years ago i visited the stadium for the first time to see a Cradley meeting and the crowd was bigger tha most PL/EL teams can muster!!

I usually feel quite optimistic about the future of Speedway in this country but with Birmingham closing and the future of Eastbourne looking very doubtful for next year things do not look good.

With many clubs struggling to encourage fans to attend it seems that only Poole and Lakeside are maintaining good attendances, im sure someone will put me right if im wrong.

Things fans are not happy with include double uppers/downers (many teams missing riders virtually every week) no continuity with fixtures (maybe we need to have fortnightly matches instead of every week?), long drawn out meetings, i know crashes cannot be accounted for but sometimes this is no excuse for matches taking nearly three hours for 15 hts of Speedway.....

Also many promoters taking supporters for a ride with rained off meetings and no monies being paid back......not really legal...oh and the dreaded Joker/double point rule....get rid of it!

Sorry for ....no im not!!

Edited by topaz325

Nice to see the generosity being shown to the Brummies fans by the other teams up and down the country. I doubt if any attempts to convert them into supporters of other teams will succeed though.

Personally, I think that where there's life there's hope and that the main focus of most Brummies fans will be on supporting the sterling efforts being made to bring the sport back to the city in 2015. It won't be long before what's going on in Wolverhampton, Cradley or Coventry will just be a distraction. Birmingham is where the heart is, not Brandon or Monmore Green/Wood.

• Like 1

Quite right ... I am in Norfolk at the moment and will take in a KL match tonight, and will also see some Coventry and Cradley matches through the year, but become a fan? NO chance! But thanks anyway, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Whatever their motives, I cannot help but be slightly impressed (and surprised) that so many other clubs have said they will honour Birmingham season tickets. The Midlands clubs apart I doubt there will be more than a dozen take them up on the offer but that's not the point. If all clubs made the same offer something awful could be used as a positive thing. Press releases to the media along the lines of speedway cares about it's fans etc. It would cost most clubs less than a hundred quid, some much less, Come on promoters get off your backsides and do it.

I agree with Star Lady.

In a way this sad event has restored a little faith in Speedway for me. I think it is really great the way all of these Teams are coming together to honour Birmingham's Season Tickets.

Credit is very much due to the Promoters for that.

• Like 1

You got to find out why the welsh wizards left the promoters to struggle along , both did disapearing acts

because both could not work with the Philips clan, hat off to g drruy who did give it a go but in the end at to walk away..... Edited by tsc1
  • Like 1

We as Brummies fans are extremely grateful for the rallying round of other clubs willing to honour our season tickets - what a great pity our own "promoters" didn't!

Edited by kitten2502
  • Like 3

because both could not work with the Philips clan, hat off to g drug who did try but had to give in...?

Indeed, why stay and damage your reputation when Captain Phillips is determined to sink the ship in the face of advice otherwise ?.

• Like 3

I really don't see why there has been so much mileage in the crazy suggestion that other teams offer the weekly paying Brum fans reduced admission at their tracks - its a mad idea suggested by one individual who gets slated mercilessly on here so why does anyone take it seriously.

Personally I will be getting my fix as often as possible at other Midland venues and Southerly tracks while I'm on hols and will gladly pay full price for the sport I love - while living in hope that Brum will be back on track in 2015.

• Like 1

Perhaps if the weekly payers contacted Coventry they would send a complimentary taxi for them aswell lol. I think the offer to the season ticket holders is generous enough on Coventry's behalf and I don't see anyoNo thats no goodne else stepping up. Hats off to Mick and Neil

No thats no good if the weekly payers are goinng to get a taxi, I at least want a limo and some bubbly.

No thats no good if the weekly payers are goinng to get a taxi, I at least want a limo and some bubbly.

Perhaps Mr Phillips should drop us off in his new car, I think we're within our rights to claim part ownership.

Edited by crazy jack
  • Like 3

While it is a shame with what has happened at Birmingham, to get to go to Wolverhampton on the Monday and Cradley on the Tuesday is a great compensation and hopefully keep them connected to the sport should plans for 2015 not take off.

There are a number of Brummies fans that come to Monmore any way but for season tickets to be granted at many other tracks is a great showing by all the tracks taking part in backing the fans that had to wait so long to see the sport return to Britain's second city. It really is baffling how a city as big as Birmingham can't generate enough spectators to keep the sport going and hope it gets back on track next season with the right person and the changes needed to make it a better venture.

It really is baffling how a city as big as Birmingham can't generate enough spectators to keep the sport going and hope it gets back on track next season with the right person and the changes needed to make it a better venture.

By the looks of it, certainly a few years ago, Birmingham can comfortably generate enough supporters to keep speedway going.

The only baffling bit is why the Phillips regime couldn't understand that a city as big as Birmingham will also have plenty of other activities ready to attract the leisure money of any Brummies fans who became disillusioned with the way their speedway team were being run.

In any big city, you don't just thank your supporters for turning up ... you also thank them for choosing your brand of entertainment ahead of anything else they could have picked instead.

• Like 6