British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle Diamonds V Plymouth Devils 6th July 2014 Pl 6.30pm

Quite agree. After the heavy rains on Thursday morning and all day Friday, I knew there would be a lot of water lying on the track softening it up. In view of the fact that lightish rain was forecast from 10 till 6.00pm yesterday I cancelled the training school as i knew Jonny would need a lot of access to the track, and we were unlikely to get on the track. Although the rain didn't come yesterday, Jonny told me he had taken 7 and a half bowsers full of water off the track, and there was no chance that the training school could have been held. He showed me the pics he usually takes in such cases, and they showed that the back straight was all under water, the second and most of the first bend were under water, and the inside line of the third and forth were also flooded.

Despite the difficulties that we are faced with at Brough, we regularly get good marks from all the refs for track preparation, so they don't see there is a problem. Given the problems i have explained above, I would agree that last nights track was not great and a light blade was used early last night quite early on, and that is not usual. As others have stated, Brough needs to be ridden and attacked using more brain than speed, and i'm afraid that riders like Howarth, Auty, Roynon, Hall, Morris, will always have problems with their style of riding. Simon Nielsen( my rider of the night last night) showed them all up by his steady fast and professional way he rode the track all night. A lad who is not having a great season, been a guest twice now with good success, he certainly showed the others how to ride it safely. I would sign him in a flash should he become available, and if Scramm does not come back soon.

As to the injuries, three riders withdrawn from a meeting sounds like carnage to some but. In heat one, a rider who had not ridden Brough before, clips the back of his teammate Barker, twists his knee and, unknown at the time, Barker after two epic battles with King and Robson, decides to retire from the meeting citing rib problems. So that's two out from a simple fall from a rider error. In heat 10, 4 riders get tangled up coming out of the second bend, all at the same time and they go down. All 4 back, but Kyle unfortunately injures a shoulder, but also gets a knock from his goggles that gives him blurred vision in one eye. Could have happened at any track, at anytime. So that's three out of the meeting unfortunately. Unfortunately that meant more rides for the 2 Devil reserves who weren't watching Nielsen, and either had no idea or desire to ride Brough correctly. This was something that was cited against some Devil riders at Berwick the previous night, so I think the Devils management could soon be required o change their team to rectify their present problems. Bringing in rides from abroad to ride like that, is to good for British speedway. As someone said to me last night "surely they could find some one British who could ride better than that for a fraction of the cost".

Anyway, this whole discussion has accidentally brought so many speedway fans together once again, in pursuit of their obsessions. Step forward, montie, Drac, TaylorJ, Bandits(4 life and 4 Ever), and now Mr Blobby. So predictable, whatever would we do without you.

Excellent Post Dave. :approve: Apart from your final paragraph. :o;)

I totally agree with you about Nielsen too. :t::approve: :approve:

Quite agree. After the heavy rains on Thursday morning and all day Friday, I knew there would be a lot of water lying on the track softening it up. In view of the fact that lightish rain was forecast from 10 till 6.00pm yesterday I cancelled the training school as i knew Jonny would need a lot of access to the track, and we were unlikely to get on the track. Although the rain didn't come yesterday, Jonny told me he had taken 7 and a half bowsers full of water off the track, and there was no chance that the training school could have been held. He showed me the pics he usually takes in such cases, and they showed that the back straight was all under water, the second and most of the first bend were under water, and the inside line of the third and forth were also flooded.

Despite the difficulties that we are faced with at Brough, we regularly get good marks from all the refs for track preparation, so they don't see there is a problem. Given the problems i have explained above, I would agree that last nights track was not great and a light blade was used early last night quite early on, and that is not usual. As others have stated, Brough needs to be ridden and attacked using more brain than speed, and i'm afraid that riders like Howarth, Auty, Roynon, Hall, Morris, will always have problems with their style of riding. Simon Nielsen( my rider of the night last night) showed them all up by his steady fast and professional way he rode the track all night. A lad who is not having a great season, been a guest twice now with good success, he certainly showed the others how to ride it safely. I would sign him in a flash should he become available, and if Scramm does not come back soon.

As to the injuries, three riders withdrawn from a meeting sounds like carnage to some but. In heat one, a rider who had not ridden Brough before, clips the back of his teammate Barker, twists his knee and, unknown at the time, Barker after two epic battles with King and Robson, decides to retire from the meeting citing rib problems. So that's two out from a simple fall from a rider error. In heat 10, 4 riders get tangled up coming out of the second bend, all at the same time and they go down. All 4 back, but Kyle unfortunately injures a shoulder, but also gets a knock from his goggles that gives him blurred vision in one eye. Could have happened at any track, at anytime. So that's three out of the meeting unfortunately. Unfortunately that meant more rides for the 2 Devil reserves who weren't watching Nielsen, and either had no idea or desire to ride Brough correctly. This was something that was cited against some Devil riders at Berwick the previous night, so I think the Devils management could soon be required o change their team to rectify their present problems. Bringing in rides from abroad to ride like that, is to good for British speedway. As someone said to me last night "surely they could find some one British who could ride better than that for a fraction of the cost".

Anyway, this whole discussion has accidentally brought so many speedway fans together once again, in pursuit of their obsessions. Step forward, montie, Drac, TaylorJ, Bandits(4 life and 4 Ever), and now Mr Blobby. So predictable, whatever would we do without you.

Aye, it's the weathers fault again, so lets say no more :rofl: . I suppose the downpour we've just had an hour ago on Tyneside will be the excuse in case the track isn't good in a fortnight then? :P

The crash in heat 1 from Jensen and Barker, was caused by the track, as was heat 2 when Simota came off, as was heat 10 when Mills lifted and took Newman and King down with him as well. All crashes were caused on exactly the same part of the track tonight. So come on then what's the excuses then? .

After being at some of the berwick meetings you updated on over the years.... your view will be taken with a pinch of salt :)

• Like 1

Was hoping to keep this above the your track my track debate.

Doesn't need to be wider as there were a few times in the last few weeks where 3 abreast round turn 1 and 2 and down the back straight happens at Brough. Can't manage that round Berwick first bend, although you can off the second.

The issue is when a rider hits a patch of the softer stuff and then picks up unplanned grip and then wipes out his rivals / teammates. Again some riders, whether you like it or not can regain control and others can't.

I would put a drainage system in to get the standing water off the track asap and leave the shape alone tbh.

Interesting posts above on the track, the difficulties in preparing it well given the access problems and also how it has become diffcult to ride over the years with the increased speed of the bikes.

Taking all of that into consideration then, is it not possible to make major changes to alter the shape of the track? As I said on an earlier post why would it not be possible to bring the whole thing in from the centre to make the straights and bends wider? Yes it would be a big job and would obviously cost money but in theory at least it sounds feasible. I wondered if there was drainage or something on the inside which would make it impossible but it doesn't sound like it if there is standing water after rain. If it was wider there would be more racing lines and there would be less chance of riders colliding because there basically isn't enough room as we saw a couple of times last night.

Just a thought although I would assume it's been considered before. I'm sure those that constantly moan about it wold be at the front of the queue for donations to raise the necessary finance ;)

Cost of course is the biggest stumbling block, and probably the reluctance of the stadium owners to lose more centre green.

Talking about widening the straights, unfortunately that then makes the bends even tighter, hence the reason why we only went for the minimum width allowed, which is 8 metres, when rebuilding the track for our first season in 1997. Interesting that Northside Training track in Worky, used to have massive corners with little centre green. Unfortunately, kids who rode the inside line were then faced with the problem of hitting the fence, which was then straight in front of them. They then took the inside line out narrowing the bends, and created more natural and traditional curves which has made the circuit for some great safe racing.

Incidently, we did take 2 metres off the centre green apex of the 1st/2nd conner in the late 90's to give more width to the track, but several local riders though we have spoilt the track. The first and 2nd bends are still 2 metres narrower than the 3rd/4th, but then most riders don't use the full width of the 3rd/4th, except for those who have got themselves into big trouble.

After being at some of the berwick meetings you updated on over the years.... your view will be taken with a pinch of salt :)

Yes, I would remind B 4 Life of his actions after the Bandits last visit. Stood with the Pieman and Seedef, never said a wrong word to them during the meeting, but gave it large on here when other Berwick fans decided to attribute their thrashing on the track. :nono:

Nothing wrong with them, never biased and generally very fair with my comments.

Yes, I would remind B 4 Life of his actions after the Bandits last visit. Stood with the Pieman and Seedef, never said a wrong word to them during the meeting, but gave it large on here when other Berwick fans decided to attribute their thrashing on the track. :nono:

Think you will find that I never made a comment after the Bandits last visit, we were beaten fair and square and no complaints about the track that night. However I think you will find that comments were made after the Somerset meeting, not Berwick.

• Like 2

but then most riders don't use the full width of the 3rd/4th, except for those who have got themselves into big trouble.

or they're called James Grieves

• Like 1

You seriously need to get over yourself.. There are a lot of fans out there that have criticised Brough as a circuit... My main concern has been bend 2 (which if you take the blinkers off.. a couple of diamonds fans have also reported on) and the amount of problems arising there.. Which was what I pointed out in my post from the Berwick match!

And you say we're all predictable... Just as predictable as you I'm afraid!

Edited by Bandits4eva
  • Like 3

You have missed around 000`s of names from that list,including Promotions,team managers,riders,Owners and former World Champions!

Yes the weather seems to have played a part yesterday,but it seems every week these days,you only have to read various social media site to see

Interesting that you pick out Simon Nielsen,seen him a few times this year and last and to be honest hes been slow as a donkey and utter crap,maybe thats why he stays on BP!!

We continue to hear how you have to come off the throttle at BP,yet next,we hear that if you come off the throttle with a modern speedway bike[and silencer] they bike reacts in a strange way

i dont ride a bike so aint got a clue which is right

For the millionth time, stop exaggerating. Only WC that didn't like Brough was Havvy jr so that does't count.

Ha Ha, great insight and judgement. Nielsen 1+1, 3, 2+1, 0, 2+1,2+1 = 10 +4 =14 must be a lot of slower donkeys about.

Auty doesn't not come off the throttle, and his bike usually reacts in a strange way as well.

No comment :P

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with them, never biased and generally very fair with my comments.

Didn't say they were biased or unfair??.... :)

You seriously need to get over yourself.. There are a lot of fans out there that have criticised Brough as a circuit... My main concern has been bend 2 (which if you take the blinkers off.. a couple of diamonds fans have also reported on) and the amount of problems arising there.. Which was what I pointed out in my post from the Berwick match!

And you say we're all predictable... Just as predictable as you I'm afraid!

your quick to put the boot in though, at least admit that?? :)
  • Like 1

I'm no quicker than others are!

You must be!!

Looks like you go in with BOTH feet. :shock: :shock: :shock::nono: :nono:

The crash in heat 1 from Jensen and Barker, was caused by the track, as was heat 2 when Simota came off, as was heat 10 when Mills lifted and took Newman and King down with him as well. All crashes were caused on exactly the same part of the track tonight. So come on then what's the excuses then? Was it the weather :rofl: ?

You would have thought the riders would have twigged on and tried to avoid it.

I just don't feel it is worth £15 to watch that.

I said that two seasons ago and haven't looked back since :P

Funny how all this nonsense about the track has started up after we have started winning again.... Can't remember many of the numpties on here complaining when Redcar hammered us or Edinburgh and Workington won at Brough and Ipswich took a point or Somerset won earlier in the season

For the millionth time, stop exaggerating. Only WC that didn't like Brough was Havvy jr so that does't count.

Ha Ha, great insight and judgement. Nielsen 1+1, 3, 2+1, 0, 2+1,2+1 = 10 +4 =15 must be a lot of slower donkeys about.

Auty doesn't not come off the throttle, and his bike usually reacts in a strange way as well.

No comment :P

And neither apparently can you :blink::P

• Like 3