British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Eastbourne V King's Lynn 05/07/14

Another loss for the Stars with Bjerre a real worry.

Fair play to the Eagles. Good win all the same.

Think we should be ok for the play-offs now,so they must be massaging their averages ready for next season :P

• Like 1

Wrong. The top team chooses either 2nd, 3rd or 4th and has the choice of home or away in the 1st leg of both the semi and the final

Do they really ? In rugby union ? Are you really sure about that ?

Imagine no play offs this year. What matches would Sky be showing ? "Tonight Kelvin we are at fourth place Lakeside to see if they can hang on to a top half finish against fifth place Eastbourne." not a great inducement for non-speedway fans to stay watching.

I'd imagine they'd be saying "Tonight Kelvin one of these two teams must win to ensure 4th place to qualify for the 'Play-Off Cup' (or whatever) and a chance to redeem their season" and the reply "Yes Nigel I have to say this new competition is a great addition as it gives those teams who didn't quite achieve what they hoped for in the league another chance to finish the season in style" :wink:

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 2

I'd imagine they'd be saying "Tonight Kelvin one of these two teams must win to ensure 4th place to qualify for the 'Play-Off Cup' (or whatever) and a chance to redeem their season" and the reply "Yes Nigel I have to say this new competition is a great addition as it gives those teams who didn't quite achieve what they hoped for in the league another chance to finish the season in style" :wink:

Great idea. You would have thought Sky would have used their global knowledge of sport and entertainment to come up with the format that works best, but all they had to do was ask you and GRW. Easy !

• Like 1

Great idea. You would have thought Sky would have used their global knowledge of sport and entertainment to come up with the format that works best, but all they had to do was ask you and GRW. Easy !

That have come up with the format that works best ...No fan ,Tv etc would give a stuff about a separate play off cup .

• Like 4

I have a feeling your tongue is firmly in your cheek :D but yes it'd be great if just for once the powers that be had a bit of imagination.

They* have come up with the format that works best ...No fan ,Tv etc would give a stuff about a separate play off cup .

So 3 runners-up in the league wouldn't be interested in another chance of glory? And league winners wouldn't want a chance of doing 'the double'?

In the good old days the prestige of winning the KOCup was only slightly behind winning the league - trouble was it was presented very poorly and went out of favour because of it, so a well-presented Sky competition at the end of the season could revive interest imo. Fans after all want to see as many matches before the season ends -currently it just fizzles out for all but 4 clubs.

Edited by Star Fever

In the good old days the prestige of winning the KOCup was only slightly behind winning the league - trouble was it was presented very poorly and went out of favour because of it, so a well-presented Sky competition at the end of the season could revive interest imo. .

The reason the KO Cup,went out of favour was that it was not part of the Sky deal , was never televised and never got any of the Sky money. Kings Lynn were the first club that pulled out of the KO Cup quickly followed by Eastbourne, both promotions bleating that they couldn't afford it. Prestige doesn't pay the bills.

The reason the KO Cup,went out of favour was that it was not part of the Sky deal , was never televised and never got any of the Sky money. Kings Lynn were the first club that pulled out of the KO Cup quickly followed by Eastbourne, both promotions bleating that they couldn't afford it. Prestige doesn't pay the bills.

Yeah I know - great shame.

That have come up with the format that works best ...No fan ,Tv etc would give a stuff about a separate play off cup .

Do you honestly think people support the play-offs because of the name? It would make no difference what it was called, if the were a home and away match with an aggregate score, people would come. It could be named anything at all. The ORION KC Cup has a nice ring to it

I'm not against the play-offs at the end of the season, just feel it wrong that you ask clubs and fans to support a 36 match league program, then demean any achievement by giving the title to a team that has won a pokcy 4 team KO at the end of the season.

And you wonder why speedway has lost so much support......

2 more teams are going this year....

There's not many left........

• Like 2

These fans that turn up for the play-offs,why are they not at the league matches.Maybe the controlling powers should find out why.

Would more fans turn up for league matches if they knew there team had a chance of winning the league without going through a ko stage at the end of the season?Or do they simply save their money and turn up for the play-offs(as it is now)if their team makes the top 4.

Speedway wont survive with the just a few well attended matches at the end of the season,they need to get those fans back to the bread and butter of the league season.

• Like 3

If there are 2 less teams at the start of next season then they could have the play-offs with all 8 teams in it. Run the whole season (28 league meetings per team) then the team that ends up 1st plays-off v the 8th placed team... 2nd v 7th etc. Then in the Semi's the winners of 1v8 meets the winners of 4v5 etc... ;) Who could see the Clowns in Speedway actually going for that, :D

If there are 2 less teams at the start of next season then they could have the play-offs with all 8 teams in it. Run the whole season (28 league meetings per team) then the team that ends up 1st plays-off v the 8th placed team... 2nd v 7th etc. Then in the Semi's the winners of 1v8 meets the winners of 4v5 etc... ;) Who could see the Clowns in Speedway actually going for that, :D

You could call it something unique like The Knockout Cup.

• Like 2

Why bother to run the league at all, Let the clubs pull a number out of the hat and just have quarters, semi's and final. Seven matches, and all of them important.

Until somebody from Poole says something you don't like and it settings back again? Dear me. How about ignoring what people say and basing any allegiance on the riders and club itself.

While I appreciate how poor he was last night some of the booing and dogs abuse he got from some Eagles 'fans' near us was disgusting. I wonder if any of them went into the pits after the meeting to repeat it to his face?

I completely agree. Booing one of your own riders is a disgrace.

I am sure Joonas does not fly over from Europe with the intention of scoring little or no points.

Believe it or not, Joonas is my favorite Eastie rider and I would much rather see hime turn his form around than go but I have been thinking that for too long now!

I completely agree. Booing one of your own riders is a disgrace.

I am sure Joonas does not fly over from Europe with the intention of scoring little or no points.

Believe it or not, Joonas is my favorite Eastie rider and I would much rather see hime turn his form around than go but I have been thinking that for too long now!

Stevec you have to admit Joonas was pitiful against the Stars he made little or no competitive effort trailing in last and by a country mile at that in all but one of his heats. The only point he score was the result of Iversen falling.His season so far has been poor to say the least. To be honest we would have been better keeping Dryml than signing Kylmakorpi particularly as we are only a home track team.

Edited by goldeneagle