British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Less Than 60% Brits In Pl - Is It Right?

Just under 60% of riders in this year's Premier League aren't British? Discuss

Have no problems with that, show me the Brits that can make up that % that wont make it like the National league?

• Like 1

Have no problems with that, show me the Brits that can make up that % that wont make it like the National league?

Do you not think that your own club Peterborough might be in a better financial position if you didn't have five foreign riders in your declared 1 to 7?

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 2

Wouldn't make a major difference IMO, your telling me signing a rider like Danny King in the premier league, is much different to a foreigner? Crowds would still be sparse, if we had 7 British riders.

Wouldn't make a major difference IMO, your telling me signing a rider like Danny King in the premier league, is much different to a foreigner? Crowds would still be sparse, if we had 7 British riders.

For starters you haven't got any airfares to subsidise or pay for to get foreigners here in the first place have you?

Let me stress I personally am NOT against foreign riders in the Premier League but I do wonder at times if there are too many especially when you consider that there are seven teams who, between them only have 14 Brits in their sides.

Edited by Bryn

For starters you haven't got any airfares to subsidise or pay for to get foreigners here in the first place have you?

Lest continue to use peterborough here as an example.

What Brits would you use to replace these foreign riders because as far as I can see there isn't any to replace them with

• Like 1

Logic would dictate that a team of 7 Brits would / should be cheaper than a team of 7 continentals.

IF IF IF that is true then the break even point, regarding crowds, would be lower - which would leave clubs in a better financial positions.

I do think you're correct in one regard - crowds wouldn't be higher JUST because a team was made up of 7 Brits.

I personally don't care whether a rider is from Siberia or Skegness, as long as I am being entertained.

• Like 1

think the nationality of a rider is one of speedways smallest problems at the moment!

What Brits would you use to replace these foreign riders because as far as I can see there isn't any to replace them with

i wou;d fill the reserve pl places with the elite fast track riders and then maybe, just maybe the elite league could be called elite. and the pl would continue to grow british products for the future. imo.

• Like 3

Do you not think that your own club Peterborough might be in a better financial position if you didn't have five foreign riders in your declared 1 to 7?

I think Peterborough are now in a much better financial position, now that they're out of the Elite League.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

We have a woeful team at Rye House this year, very much done on the cheap. Discarding Aspgren and Mellgren seems like a massive mistake as far as the on track fortunes go. Only the last minute hitch with Nelson has seen a Continental rider take his place, the only foreigner in the team. Guess what? The team may not be doing good, the crowd may be complaining but Len Silver is paying his riders on time and we have Speedway, something Birmingham no longer have and possibly something Eastbourne wont have either. Surely time for outing the Continental foreigners to save weekly (or more) air fairs and utilise the riders we have. Apart from the return air fair Aussies cost no more than their British Counterparts. Ok so the standard will go down but to be fair its a long time since there was anything Elite about the Elite league. Just because a meeting has loads of foreign riders it doesn't mean the crowd will increase accordingly just look at Leicester for example

Of course there are but it would cause the standard of rider to fall, but that doesn't actually mean the standard of racing would decline probably the opposite
  • Like 3

it was thought there wouldn't be enough riders to staff BL Div 2 in 1968 and 69 but look what happened - along came a generation of stars like Jessup, Kennett, Louis, Collins, etc etc

look at the competence of some of the fast tracked riders in EL

these NL boys are not useless wobblers - they just not world beaters yet

thats who would replace them

I think Peterborough are now in a much better financial position, now that they're out of the Elite League.

All the best

Rob

Let's hope that Birmingham can repeat that next Season. :t:

Brits are crap , viva le foreigners

• Like 1

So come independence can Edinburgh & Glasgow only track Scottish riders?