British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pointsmeanplayoffs

King's Lynn Stars V Leicester Lions - Wed 16, July - #shavetheroo

Great to see you Paulco, sorry you got lumbered with the texting!

GRW, I think you are being a little harsh on Robert. Easy to forget he's just 16, his gating has lots of room for improvement and to say that he should be winning heat 4 doesn't take into account that the visiting number two is usually an accomplished rider who had already has an outing.

I think it's easy to forget that the margins in speedway are fine, any niggly motor issues and poor gating will be punished at this level. You can't expect the Kerrs, Roses, Lamberts and Porsings to be tip top all season, they will have peaks and troughs in form.

I know what you are saying and I'm not forgetting the boy is only 16. We are talking about Robert being the next Michael Lee or Darcy Ward. He is that good. So riding against FTR and second strings should be bread and butter to someone of his ability. Mind you, I've always thought Simon Stead rides Lynn well, so no disgrace to be beaten by him.. But Simon Lambert, he is not in the same league as Robert and to be beaten by him, to me , is not acceptable. Reflexes of a 16 year old should be razor sharp. and gating shouldn't be an issue. When he does gate, he goes exceptionally quick. Last night he had 4 races and gated once.

If he cant win heat 4 he stands even less of a chance in heat 6 when up against the opposition 's top riders, when losing is more acceptable. I'm sorry to appear harsh, but having witness the rise of both the fore mentioned two I expected a more prolific improvement from young Robert, to that which we have seen. I so want him to do well and reach the very top, but right now, I am of mixed thoughts..........

Last night wasnt the best as far as riders coming from the rear. However our main track man ( Buster) was busy giving Rory a short back and straight.

I know what you are saying and I'm not forgetting the boy is only 16. We are talking about Robert being the next Michael Lee or Darcy Ward. He is that good. So riding against FTR and second strings should be bread and butter to someone of his ability. Mind you, I've always thought Simon Stead rides Lynn well, so no disgrace to be beaten by him.. But Simon Lambert, he is not in the same league as Robert and to be beaten by him, to me , is not acceptable. Reflexes of a 16 year old should be razor sharp. and gating shouldn't be an issue. When he does gate, he goes exceptionally quick. Last night he had 4 races and gated once.

If he cant win heat 4 he stands even less of a chance in heat 6 when up against the opposition 's top riders, when losing is more acceptable. I'm sorry to appear harsh, but having witness the rise of both the fore mentioned two I expected a more prolific improvement from young Robert, to that which we have seen. I so want him to do well and reach the very top, but right now, I am of mixed thoughts..........

Maybe if Robert Lambert had been allowed to ride for a PL team as well as Lynn he would ride more than once a week which would probably allow him to sharpen his reflexes etc. however the BRITISH Speedway Promoters Assoc deny him the chance whilst allowing every Thomasz, Fritz and Jens to do so. MAybe your ire should be directed more in their direction?

• Like 3

Last night wasnt the best as far as riders coming from the rear. However our main track man ( Buster) was busy giving Rory a short back and straight.

Ummmmm Double standards another particular strength of this sport.

Maybe if Robert Lambert had been allowed to ride for a PL team as well as Lynn he would ride more than once a week which would probably allow him to sharpen his reflexes etc. however the BRITISH Speedway Promoters Assoc deny him the chance whilst allowing every Thomasz, Fritz and Jens to do so. MAybe your ire should be directed more in their direction?

I see where your coming from but rules are rules i'm afraid and at the time these stopped him from doing the PL.

Lynn isn't anywhere near the racetrack it was nowadays, but its still an awful lot better than the fayre at Leicester.

But why, is it the bikes or riders?

I think with machinery seemingly getting faster and faster the tracks with long straights see riders getting spread out more quickly. The circuist with shorter straights and longer bends tend to produce the better racing nowadays. Maybe it's time for Buster to take the white line in, reduce the track length to something like 300m and see if that does the trick?

But why, is it the bikes or riders?

Definitely Bikes. Bikes are much more powerful and rev far more than they once.did The art of speedway riding now is to keep on the gas. The power comes from the revving the engine, Years ago it was much more bottom end torque.. Totally different technique. The riding skill then was more pronounced and the bikes were less powerful. Now its the other way round.

I know what you are saying and I'm not forgetting the boy is only 16. We are talking about Robert being the next Michael Lee or Darcy Ward. He is that good. So riding against FTR and second strings should be bread and butter to someone of his ability.

Who's talking about him being the next Lee or Ward,the press the fans etc.I bet young Robert isn't,i say let him progress at his own rate and not what other people expect him to progress at.

Personally I think he's doing ok,he's taken some good scalps this year including Stead and Korneliussen last night.

• Like 2

Who's talking about him being the next Lee or Ward,the press the fans etc.I bet young Robert isn't,i say let him progress at his own rate and not what other people expect him to progress at.

Personally I think he's doing ok,he's taken some good scalps this year including Stead and Korneliussen last night.

The Elite league is not just about Robert Lambert, its about teams first than riders second. As a member of a team he would be expected to perform to a certain standard.

All I said was he was expected to beat other second strings and FTR. Your point about him beating noticeable scalps merely emphasises that point.

Footnote: Had he have just beaten Simon Lambert last night we would have scored all three points. Yeah I know there are others in the team who could have scored that extra point, But when the chips are down they all need to step up to the mark, and that includes a 16 year old...

It is fair to say that Lambert hasn't made the progress that was expected of him by supporters. No bad thing but putting him in the main team to have 2 hard hitting gp riders with in the ponts limits was a bit of a gamble but he will develop at his own pace. I was my mystified why he did a lap after coming 2nd behind Klindt in ht 14 thought I'd seen wrong and he'd won

As a Supporter I am perfectly happy with Robert Lamberts progress. I am sure Rob, Buster and Robert himself are happy with his progress as well. After all they are the people that matter

• Like 1

As a Supporter I am perfectly happy with Robert Lamberts progress. I am sure Rob, Buster and Robert himself are happy with his progress as well. After all they are the people that matter

No doubt Rob, Buster and Robert himself were just as ecstatic as I was, that we dropped an unnecessary point last night.

Of cause they are the ones that matter, but it shouldn't stop other peoples having an opinion.

The Elite league is not just about Robert Lambert, its about teams first than riders second. As a member of a team he would be expected to perform to a certain standard.

All I said was he was expected to beat other second strings and FTR. Your point about him beating noticeable scalps merely emphasises that point.

Footnote: Had he have just beaten Simon Lambert last night we would have scored all three points. Yeah I know there are others in the team who could have scored that extra point, But when the chips are down they all need to step up to the mark, and that includes a 16 year old...

You could say the same about every rider in the league then,as most have been beat by the so called lesser riders.This is speedway and nothing is a certainty.I bet most second strings in the league have been beat by the likes of Kerr,Blackbird,Garrity and Worrall the FTR's that shouldn't be beating them according to you.

• Like 1

You could say the same about every rider in the league then,as most have been beat by the so called lesser riders.This is speedway and nothing is a certainty.I bet most second strings in the league have been beat by the likes of Kerr,Blackbird,Garrity and Worrall the FTR's that shouldn't be beating them according to you.

But we are not talking about Kerr,Blackbird,Garrity and Worrall, who are all at the top of the FTR list, In Simon Lamberts case, we're talking about a rider who is way down (20th, when I last looked). in the lower regions of the list. I imagine he and Leicester, went home Saturday well chuffed, having taken a point from us at home......

When he does well I'm to first to praise him, but also I say, when he is not so good.