British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie4388

Ben Wilson Leaves Stoke

19.9.2.1 A Rider with a PL MA of 6.00 or below if not declared in a PL 1–7 at the start of the season,

although any such Rider who moves back into the PL will be ineligible if he has a PL MA of

5.00 or above. NB. A Rider with a PL MA of 5.00 or below joining a NL Team after losing a

PL Team place may not remain in the NL Team if he subsequently gains a PL Team place,

Thanks Eddie.

Not sure of the context of the rest of whatever the para says but I didn't think Ben had lost his PL place this year.

Once upon a time I knew the rules but after 15 years out of the sport, I've got a bit rusty to say the least.

Why is life so complicated nowadays?

It just seems very unfair on Stoke who gave the lad a chance and are prevented from realising the benefit from the gamble they took.

The rules are an ass......., Cradley can have 4 riders over 8 point averages 2 of them over 10,,two reserve s one on a 6+,the other on a 5+ ave But Stoke cant have Ben Wilson doubling down,,Here at Kent we have had to drop Chessle to bring Compton back in after injury to comply with the points limit,,,so what im saying is no team can strenghten up ,,but its all right for Cradley to continue with what is virtually a Premier league side ..... Then there is Scunthorpe with a team of 3 pointer s doing real damage to other clubs gates when they visit .. The League s becoming a total nonsense..There rant over....

What a stupid post,if Kent had had the success that Cradley had would you say that?,their team was build to the same level as yours,theirs has been very good,yours has been poor

Stoke knew the risks when the brought in Wilson,he was always going to end up back in the PL at some point

What about Christ mills could he ride ?

So what those who think every thing is fair, are saying is that all teams start on a level playing field..Dispite the fact that some teams pay considerably more to their riders and therefore attract all the best improvers...And others who stick to the pay rate and struggle to put out a competitive side .in my opinion teams should be allowed to strengthen to within at least a couple of points of the team with the highest combined average at the end of each month during the season to keep the league competitive At the moment the difference between the top team and the bottom team is about 30 points how does that produce good racing

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

What about Christ mills could he ride ?

Is he over 30?

That rule could do with changing as even Scunthorpe the self proclaimed development supremos tried to sign a second 30 year old

Edited by TMW

Is he over 30?

That rule could do with changing as even Scunthorpe the self proclaimed development supremos tried to sign a second 30 year old

D.O.B. 29/3/83

D.O.B. 29/3/83

That makes him and, I'm sticking my neck out here, 31?

That makes him and, I'm sticking my neck out here, 31?

His average is over 10 anyway!

Fair enough

He can't double down anyway as he is not under 25.

• Like 1

I used to wonder why I do not go to speedway. Not any more. It's stuff like this. I wish speedway would think of a good way to put their product to the public. This isn't it. Wilson, Stark, Worrell, and a few more were way too good to be racing in this league from the start of the season but due to their laughable way of producing averages, they get in. It's speedway Jim but not as I knew it.

• Like 1

and offering big money (for the NL) helps a little :)

................and that's exactly what you would do if you had the finances that Cradley have. In fact, its what (almost) every other club in the EL, PL & NL would do (and indeed do do).

All Cradley have done is build the best possible team they can with the aim of being successful on track and in doing so have used the considerable financial muscle their success off track has created.

What on earth is wrong with that ?

So what those who think every thing is fair, are saying is that all teams start on a level playing field..Dispite the fact that some teams pay considerably more to their riders and therefore attract all the best improvers...And others who stick to the pay rate and struggle to put out a competitive side .in my opinion teams should be allowed to strengthen to within at least a couple of points of the team with the highest combined average at the end of each month during the season to keep the league competitive At the moment the difference between the top team and the bottom team is about 30 points how does that produce good racing

Answer is, it doesn't.

But every season you get teams who are better than others for a number of reasons, not just the potential of the line ups at the start. They is often a huge disparity by June despite the level playing field in March and I witnessed that last night at Edinburgh.

The 30 points isn't Cradley's fault, either. Some of their results have been reasonably close; none of Scunthorpe's have.

As to sticking to the pay rates, I suspect there's only one team in the NL that does that.

I used to wonder why I do not go to speedway. Not any more. It's stuff like this. I wish speedway would think of a good way to put their product to the public. This isn't it. Wilson, Stark, Worrell, and a few more were way too good to be racing in this league from the start of the season but due to their laughable way of producing averages, they get in. It's speedway Jim but not as I knew it.

Ok, lets dump the likes of those you have named along with Atkin, Armstrong, Halsey, Lambert, Jacobs, Cockle and Nielsen, replace them with 3pt novices and watch the stand alone clubs go bust one by one and double up teams pull out because their losses are too great.

When we people understand that NL speedway is a business, a business that must be viable (or at least sustainable) and that to ensure that that is the case the product must be attractive enough to pull in paying spectators.

People simply will not pay to watch junior meetings (ask yourself why all Scunthorpe's away meetings are suddenly becoming double headers) so its a matter of compromise: get the youngsters in, but get some more experienced and capable ones in too.

In my view, most of the NL clubs have done precisely that.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

................and that's exactly what you would do if you had the finances that Cradley have. In fact, its what (almost) every other club in the EL, PL & NL would do (and indeed do do).

All Cradley have done is build the best possible team they can with the aim of being successful on track and in doing so have used the considerable financial muscle their success off track has created.

What on earth is wrong with that ?

Plenty when the clubs sit down and agree a pay rate. Paying over the odds in the NL also impacts on the PL and the EL. If a rider is getting £20-£30 per point and no deductions in the NL and scoring well how much will they expect in the PL and then in turn in the EL where they have to pay for tyres and insurance and will probably be scoring 4 or 5 a meeting if they are lucky. The rich clubs needs to remember that they need the poorer clubs to race against.

• Like 3