British Speedway Forum
clambo71

Tai Woffinden's Views On Single Night Racing In Uk

Sometimes you don't chase the money if you like your job, the people you work with or perhaps you feel less pressured, not always about the money.

I actually agree with you, I've turned promotions down myself because I didn't think the extra money was worth the extra pressure. However riding a speedway bike is the same wherever they ride to a point. More pressure in Poland but I reckon riders of tais standard would relish that I would have thought

A big help to British speedway would be if, like Poland, Sweden and Denmark, each Elite League club either owned their own stadium or had a stadium for the sole purpose of speedway. Easier said than done I know, with venues and locations very difficult to find. But until this happens and clubs continue to be dictated to by landlords on which night they race, one night per week will never happen.

By the way, I ask because I do not know, how many British clubs do actually own their own track / stadium or is the venue used solely for speedway?

Many of the arguements on here are simply not thought through and most people know why

As most of the stadiums are not owned by Speedway promoters they cannot pick which night of the week they can race on.

The thought of all matches taking place on a Monday is ludicrous . To start with it's the worst night to promote Speedway.With a live match on Sky TV on Mondays as well the other matches would be lucky to get a gate of 1000. That would mean in one season the EL would be finished. Mind you it will never happen as most teams would know it would be financial suicide. Surely when Belle Vue move into their new stadium they would certainly not run on a Monday night . A weekend fixture would certainly double their gate.

The best solution would be to say to all riders do you want to ride in GP's or do you want to ride in the British, Polish or Swedish leagues. The sooner the split comes the better it will be for British Speedway.

Exactly. The reality that the most popular race nights from the public point of, view would be at the weekends. Thus we have 4 EL clubs racing on a Friday or Saturday, plus David Gordon says when he gets the new stadium he wants to move towards the end of the week hand Rick Frost was quoted as saying he would prefer an Friday race night. The only ones who want a Monday race night are the GP riders. It seems that the riders of quality not actually in the GPs don't mind when they come as long has the money is good, but since the crowds are not great the money is not great , and the reality is that star riders don't make up the shortfall of what is lost by an unpopular racenight.

No body could have invested more than Rick Frost did at Peterborough, plus he promoted a popular race track, but after 5 years and half a million quid he was miles short of balancing the books.

Perhaps more top riders will go for the European Championship instead of the 12 rounder, wouldn't be so intrusive to their year and wouldn't it help our promoter's wish to race on Friday nights! ....

• Like 1

Brian Griffin.

IMO top level speedway in the UK has come to a crossroads.....we either need to run something along the lines of Sweden, a 'superleague' with set race nights and squads. If that means eight teams so be it. If not then we need to get rid of all riders who don't / won't put British fixtures first when there is a clash and have a weaker league, one big one if necessary. This year there has been far, far too many guests and R/R facilities when riders have been riding elsewhere, and that goes for both leagues. There needs to be far more cooperation when riders represent two teams as the fixture clashes have been ridiculous and for me missing riders is yet another thing putting people off the sport. At least if teams have squads of ten fans can identify with everyone who represents them and it would eliminate the need for guests.

The EL is finished as a top level speedway and has been for a few years.Who wants to pay Top admission money to watch a tired Woffy going through the motions.Everyone knows that single night speedway won't happen in Uk.
  • Like 1

Squad system with teams having a gp and none gp rider to cover their number one position? Potentially the increased criwds to offset the extra cost? With one sky fixture per week on monday still?

• Like 1

We need to accept we are a feeder country to sweden and poland/ Like South American footballers migrate to Europe to play we should just accept it and do whats right for UK fans. i.e tracks have a regular race night using riders who can combine working with riding and turn up every week. If a rider can earn abroad then fine, but that means no BL. their choice..

• Like 1

Squads are ideal in principal but a financial non-starter. I'm not convinced riders would accept a "pay as you play" deal and retainers would cripple clubs.

And what happens during GP weeks...?

FIM will have to declare that GPs go midweek :-)

Bigger draw back than the lack of the GP top boys, is, in my opinion, the regular absence of the current contracted riders. All well and good for Leicester and Eastbourne to want to run on Saturday nights, but how often are they able to run without wholesale changes due to clashes with international events?

A set race day (say Monday) would be a tough step to take, but I think in the long term it is the only way forward.

Yea it's a joke team's at the top level still trying to ride on Fridays and at Weekends meaning 3 or 4 changes per match .

I said it for ages, change it to one or maybe two race days with say 8 teams no Eastie etc . As you say it will be tough but it's about people get brave and gave it a chance .

The EL is finished as a top level speedway and has been for a few years.Who wants to pay Top admission money to watch a tired Woffy going through the motions.Everyone knows that single night speedway won't happen in Uk.

Swindon had a big crowd to watch him do just that the other week .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

I said it for ages, change it to one or maybe two race days with say 8 teams no Eastie etc . As you say it will be tough but it's about people get brave and give it a chance .

glad we're in agreement.

The maths are simple

A rider earned 4 times approx. yes FOUR TIMES in Sweden and Poland than England.

Ride in Poland on Sunday.

Rest and maintain machinery on Monday

Ride in Sweden on Tuesday,

The riders must laugh at watching the knackered riders rushing to Sweden on Tuesday after riding in England on Monday.

They would only need to score 3 more points on Tuesday to cover 12 points in England on Monday.

As pointed earlier as great as AJ was at Lakeside or Nikki P at Eastbourne it had very little difference in the crowd levels.

Lost some respect in Woofy do put gun against the head of BSPA ( as they are likely to pull the trigger)

Squads are ideal in principal but a financial non-starter. I'm not convinced riders would accept a "pay as you play" deal and retainers would cripple clubs.

Also Riders would lose form if not riding regularly. You could not expect a retained Rider after, say six weeks, coming in to the Team to replace an injured Rider and hitting top form straight away.

I don't think the idea would work.