British Speedway Forum

i would like to see the ref not having to exclude after the first bend.

The Golden helmet match races return.

And maybe the rides not all returning to the pits after a stoppage that has creeped in recent seasons.

Nothing special I know but i do miss second halves & the golden helmet matches.

• Like 1

Golden Helmet in original format, not like the time it was over- done by defending it every match..

loyalty card a great idea which someone mentioned..

end the sharing of riders

discount for away fans arriving by coach (as that can be proved) to help with costs

pannini style sticker book for kids..

billboards advertising in town centres

heres a big contraversial one, Proper promotion/relegation

programmes bring back full page pics with a autograph oppertunity for kids

meetings need to have an "event" feel to them

presenters who can build the tension

• Like 1

The BSPA way of thinking is everything in the sport is rosy but the fans are just not coming to watch,that is nothing do do with them!!!!!!!

sadly you are correct...

you can just imagine this fortnights excuse for those fans staying away??

'people are staying in watching the commonwealth games'...... :o:D

Golden Helmet in original format, not like the time it was over- done by defending it every match..

loyalty card a great idea which someone mentioned..

end the sharing of riders

discount for away fans arriving by coach (as that can be proved) to help with costs

pannini style sticker book for kids..

billboards advertising in town centres

heres a big contraversial one, Proper promotion/relegation

programmes bring back full page pics with a autograph oppertunity for kids

meetings need to have an "event" feel to them

presenters who can build the tension

Picking up on some of those points:

Agree about the Golden/Silver Helmet. Once a month defended against the the rider with the highest average at the end of the month (i.e The riders average for that month only, not rolling average etc.).

Newcastle had a billboard near St James' Park footy ground (which is also next to a Metro Startion), not sure that brought in many extra punters. The cost of that could be prohibitive to some clubs, though.

Proper promotion/relegation won't work, simply due to the financial clout of going up. If Birmingham, Peterborough and Ipswich couldn't hack the EL (and Eastbourne are said to be in trouble), what chance many PL teams lasting?

I'm not too fussed about a Prog. to be honest. I'll buy one, but if it's just a race card (like Somerset and Sheffield used to do), then that's fine too. Don't quite agree with the Scunthorpe £1 for two A4 pages stapled together, though. Either give it away free, or do it properly and charge £2/£2.50.

Finally, totally agree about the 'event.' Clubs are basically wanting people to turn up, see 15 heats of speedway and go home. There is nothing else to turn up for (apart from seeing mates etc.).

Speedway is dying on it's a*se. It needs to re-invent itself. Go back to basics. Cut costs. Lower admission prices. Make it special. Then it might have a chance of survival, otherwise it will die.

Edited by Steve Park
  • Like 3

1./ A one to 9 squad for every team, with the last three riders being british sharing the meetings no problems then with double uppers. 2./ Get rid of the Micky mouse joker rule. 3./A reduction every now and then for regular supporters maybe a voucher system, a free pint ? or something from the track shop cheaper?.A good way of showing that the club appreciates the home diehard supporter. 4./ Regular dialogue and discussion at every club (ie at Scunny Godfrey suggested it) because there are endless people who have suggested some great ideas on this forum as an example. 5./ Stop the EL against PL squabble,work together for the good of the sport. 6./ More modern music. 7./A seven thirty start,means a prompt start and finish. 8./The fifteen heat formula needs to be tinkered with. 9./Be great to have a regular golden helmet match race back. 10./Go back to the old race format, as an ex heat 5 no 5/4 against 1/2.

Are you mad? Have you never 'read' threads here.

There are hundreds of excellent ideas from fans on this place.

Every year since I have been a member I have seen thread after thread of ideas how to make speedway better but all we ever see are the same tired old fiddling's from a bunch of blinkered idiots so why should we the fans have to solve speedways problems?

The idiots in charge should read this place and implement the cornucopia of ideas put forward from fans but to them fans are the enemy and the only real ideas they have involve giving less for more every year. I am an old man and have seen plenty of speedway but nowadays prefer to travel the world and watch heavy rock and metal so you are not gonna get me back but there are plenty of kids out there would love this sport if it was tailored to their expectations. Standing around in a dull dilapidated rubbish tip waiting for something to happen is no longer my idea of a good night out and I am sure that applies to most of the population.

So the answer is really quite simple stop what it is you are doing and do something else and make it a more exciting experience and both cheaper and more VFM.

But nobody who matters ever listens so the sport will have a thread like this in a years time asking the same questions whilst forgetting the answers are already here courtesy of the fans of the sport both paying customer and people like me who have done our bit but would still love to see the sport flourishing again :(

This contradicts your last post :)

Whats the point of offering up ideas and solutions with the punchline "you will never get me back thou" I'm sure if the BSPA were reading you're post they stopped right there !
  • Like 1

Picking up on some of those points:

Agree about the Golden/Silver Helmet. Once a month defended against the the rider with the highest average at the end of the month (i.e The riders average for that month only, not rolling average etc.).

Newcastle had a billboard near St James' Park footy ground (which is also next to a Metro Startion), not sure that brought in many extra punters. The cost of that could be prohibitive to some clubs, though.

Proper promotion/relegation won't work, simply due to the financial clout of going up. If Birmingham, Peterborough and Ipswich couldn't hack the EL (and Eastbourne are said to be in trouble), what chance many PL teams lasting?

I'm not too fussed about a Prog. to be honest. I'll buy one, but if it's just a race card (like Somerset and Sheffield used to do), then that's fine too. Don't quite agree with the Scunthorpe £1 for two A4 pages stapled together, though. Either give it away free, or do it properly and charge £2/£2.50.

Finally, totally agree about the 'event.' Clubs are basically wanting people to turn up, see 15 heats of speedway and go home. There is nothing else to turn up for (apart from seeing mates etc.).

Speedway is dying on it's a*se. It needs to re-invent itself. Go back to basics. Cut costs. Lower admission prices. Make it special. Then it might have a chance of survival, otherwise it will die.

yep, all fair replies. just picking up on the promotion/relegation point, now is probably the 2 leagues has ever been, i wouldnt of thought bottom of el and top of prem would be that big of a difference. i dont hold the finances, so others know best i guess

Neil Middleditch declared in todays Star that the draft rider system is flawed and the NL should feed the PL and the PL should feed the EL.........whoosh!!!

No doubt it would have been a success if poole had a strong reserve pairing this year ?

• Like 2

The riders that belong to the advertised home and away side actually turning up!

Neil Middleditch declared in todays Star that the draft rider system is flawed and the NL should feed the PL and the PL should feed the EL.........whoosh!!!

No doubt it would have been a success if poole had a strong reserve pairing this year ?

During the season I read in Speedway Star comments from promoters saying they hate the double points rule, and doubling up and riders missing and now Neil says fast track doesn't work, it makes you wonder who voted for all these things at the AGM

• Like 2

The riders that belong to the advertised home and away side actually turning up!

During the season I read in Speedway Star comments from promoters saying they hate the double points rule, and doubling up and riders missing and now Neil says fast track doesn't work, it makes you wonder who voted for all these things at the AGM

Well why don't they scrap the bloody thing then? They can do that - but - they don't.

Stupid b*ggers.

It's not rocket science.........................