British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickthemuppet

World Cup Final 2nd August 2014

theblueboy, on 02 Aug 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

The good news for British riders and supporters if you look at those teams in say 4 years time:

Poland: Zmarzlik, Przedepelski, Janowski, Pawlicki, Pawlicki

Denmark: MBJ, MJJ, Michelsen, Kildemand

Australia: Ward, Holder, Batchelor, Morris, Fricke

Britain: Woffy, Worrall, Lambert, Kerr, Garrity

where do people think we will finish now? People forget that there has been so much damage to the sport in terms of bringing talent through we will not see any improvement in our riders for 5-10 years and that's assuming the BSPA can be arsed!

Excellent post , in the cold light of day that COULD be a true reflection of where we will be . There is no doubt in my mind that the lads who rode tonight gave their all & it hurt them ,anyone could see that . Bringing on talent is something that has been rolled out for season after season & the young uns you name really do seem to be making excellent progress . I for one would like to see the system being changed next season so instead of getting 12-15 beating fellow FTR stick them in a few more heats with the Heat leaders .

Sure Phil Rising will fill us in why the crowd was so poor !

Probably trying to be clever and asking to many Polish whatnots. Priced themselves out.

Not sure if It's been mentioned, once the Poole thing came up I stopped reading the thread.

Rob Lyon wanted a long term plan and was told "no chance", all the sky money has to go to the promoters to fill the bank accounts of foreign riders.

But maybe Rosco has a chance, if the EL goes down to 8 clubs next year, that should leave some spare cash to support our youngsters and try something different. It may not work, but at least we'd have given it a go. It cant cost that much to send our kids out to Europe to have a couple of test matches, and some proper practice on bigger circuits.

Come on BSPA, just for once look at the bigger picture, give it a go for a couple of years, nothing ventured and all that.

2004 Middlo SILVER medal.

The point has already been made. That was from a different pool of riders.

Don't know what all the fuss about Team GB is ,it would not have mattered who they picked or who was in charge it would have been the same result.we are just not good enough and are along way short of being a force in World Speedway again.Nothing will change in the near futureIMO.

100% agree.

Middlo would never have picked those two this year

Middlo would have still assumed GB couldn't make the Final as well.

yep definately.

I hear next year the joker will be replaced with Rosco's face on the card... :rofl:

Completely clueless.

As far as the 2015 competition and Rosco's 5-year plan is concerned, the one key difference with Rosco getting BSPA backing is that unlike his predecessors - Middlo and Lyon - Rosco is himself a member of the BSPA as a licensed Promoter!!!

Now I'm not sure if that will make any difference - good or bad - but Rosco is certainly in a better position to get that support!! Assuming of course that we all believe its the BSPA's role to support/sponsor/finance/organise Team GB.

Leaving British league speedway aside for the moment - maybe its the Team GB set-up that needs a 'Barry Hearn'-type influence??!

Well done to Denmark...and especially Peter the Killer.

Don't know what all the fuss is regarding Kidemands riding he is a tremendous entertainer and improving rapidly,that's what you pay money for to watch.
  • Like 1

Bridger has been riding regularly in Poland for 2 years and as I said on another thread shoud have been in the team.

The Polish PL, not the big boys. Would have made no difference in my opinion.

as the old saying goes - 2 wrongs dont make a right.

TEN years ago so a whole generation of riders ago so not comparable.

I agree you cant compare 2004 to 2014, I was just reminding 'the green eyed ones' of middlos previous success.

What you can compare is the level of opposition to Middlos silver medal team in 2004. Almost all the riders for Sweden, Denmark, Poland were GP riders. A terrific achievemant for Middlo and his team.

Edited by pugwash

Of course it's anti-poole, every other post you make is anti-poole. You need to take a look at yourself, your paranoid.

your getting beyond a joke. If the manager was someone else a year ago and we came 7th then Rosco would still have done better. Fact is was Pooles manager makes no difference we did better this year than last. So many Poole fans who think the speedway world revolves around all things Poole you really are deluded

Really, ang on then. When Neil was Team GB boss his record. 2003 finalist, 2004, runners up 2005 finalist, 2006 3rd, 2007 finalist. jeez, im breaking into a sweat already,, And we havn't even started on Neils 15 years as Poole Team manager yet !! Jeez, how many Trophies is that? 1,2,6, 10, oh ive lost count, wheres my calculator!! :rofl: So, when dear old Uncle Rosco reaches that level, he'l have something to crow about, in the meantime, i'l stock up on walking frames and Catheters.. because he has a long long way to go, now who's making himself look a fool..All hail the mighty saviour and mr motivator Uncle Rosco... :rofl::rofl:

do you practice looking like an idiot on here or is it natural. Different set of riders back then are you not able to understand what people are saying its last year when we were best by average sides compared to this year when we were 4th. As for Pooles success it's not hard with the skulduggery at that club. Oh and Rosco has done it with 2 different clubs. Try reading what everyone is saying take off those blue tints

Just in case anyone is wondering we came 4th this year and the reason is because we are anti Poole!!!!

With so much focus on the manager, I think the team that GB put out did their best, and qualifying for the final was the key achievement. If that was down to the manager he deserves credit. Perhaps next time there will be other riders who have gained the right sort of experience to make selection more complex, but for KL it was a good team. And for the final, you'd surely want riders who at least have already shown they are ready for International GP standard racing.

I agree you cant compare 2004 to 2014, I was just reminding 'the green eyed ones' of middlos previous success.

What you can compare is the level of opposition to Middlos silver medal team in 2004. Almost all the riders for Sweden, Denmark, Poland were GP riders. A terrific achievemant for Middlo and his team.

To put the 2004 effort into context.

We probably should have won it. 3 points clear going into the last round of 5 races, but the Swedes got 13 points against our 9.

The Brit team had 3 GP riders in it Loram, Nicholls and Rico.The Poles had 2 - Gollob and Hampel. Their other 3 were Kasper, Kolodziej and Marcin Rempala, none of whom had been in the GP's at that stage.

On a similar theme the Danes had 3 GP riders with Bjerre and Puk still early in their careers.

The Swedes had Trick, AJ and Max out of the GP's, the young Lindback and star of the night PK who hadn't been a GP rider for a couple of seasons.

4 fairly evenly matched teams, though Gollob was hopeless in the final as was Kasper.

I remember both the final and play-off for some terrific racing - Jonsson and Rempala in particular both had some super races.

Could we have won if Neil had kept faith with Joe Screen in the final? We'll never know and Havvy did well with 9 points.

As I said before I never really had a problem with Middlo as manager, though I thought he made a mistake picking Kennett last year. A thankless task, which in an ideal world would be a salaried 52 week a year job with a brief to oversee the development of riders for the national team from under 15's onwards.

Clearly the resources aren't there for such a role and people like Peter Oakes and Rob Lyon have shown their frustrations by leaving the fold in the past, but there is encouragement with the work of Phil Morris and Neil Vatcher in the past couple of seasons. Hopefully Rosco should be enabled to continue that development work into the senior set-up, but to do so requires a leap of faith (and no little investment) by the BSPA and it remains to be seen whether promoters beleagured with their own businesses can make such a jump.

• Like 1

The Joker would only be allowed in cheap TV gameshows and minor sports.

Poland should feel robbed this morning, and Germany were denied chance of making last week's "celebration" of top-class speedway when they were the only side that couldn't use Joker in the QR, and they missed out because of it.

Speedway, by allowing such dross rules, has sold itself out a little and will never be taken seriously while this is in place.

Some, however, for the sake of enriching their lives with the excitement factor for the briefest of moments, will love the Joker.

How the sport looks to people it needs to begin to attract... well, we'll be no doubt discussing that on the next occasion a track shuts down.

I prefer a serious storyline in my soap opera.

Speedway reliance on the Joker/Golden Double, is like the dead star coming alive again in a shower scene of that American soap, Dallas, to try and boost flagging ratings.

It can't be serious.

Rosco's statement of a 5 year plan is a chuckle. Brits usually have masses of potential but seem to lack hunger and seem to have made it at 15, with three or so gleaming bikes and a nice vehicle with their names decorated on it.

Winning is the hardest part to achieve and hunger for, if you already have the smartest things you should be aiming for.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Thorny subject,but I agree with you regarding Young Brits.its a selfish sport you have just got to knuckle down and get on with it instead of moaning about support from BSPA .Main trouble nowadays is trying to find Sponsers in what is a Mickey Mouse sport in this country nowadays.