British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe V Berwick (pl) - Friday, August 1st (7.30pm)

Sympathies to the Berwick Promotion these rain offs are a financial disaster for the Club.

Aye it's not good :sad:

Called off at 6.00pm , stops raining at 6.30pm and it was not that heavy as I was in the car park and live locally. Seen much heavier rain and track rideable, feel sorry for the travelling fans.

Called off at 6.00pm , stops raining at 6.30pm and it was not that heavy as I was in the car park and live locally. Seen much heavier rain and track rideable, feel sorry for the travelling fans.

That's the problem nowadays the riders just don't want to ride a wet track,Health and Safety rules ,I certainly won't be traveling to Berwick tomorrow with rain in the forecast.Too many meetings called off IMO can't afford to waste money on travelling wondering if the riders fancy it or not,or start meeting with the intention of running 10 heats and calling a result.
  • Like 1

And the sickening part about it was just 10 minutes away on the M180 it was bone dry, just typical. :cry:

I got a close look at track.

Not a hope of the meeting going on and it was still peeing down at the time.

Bloody rain :mad:

Bloody rain :mad:

We never even bothered going near the track, the amount of rain on the way down was unreal

Got the call enroute from one of the team, arrived @the track nearly all the Scunny riders had fled, the Berwick riders were still there. I personally think we could've raced as we have raced in worse conditions, but hey that's speedway. Just wish there was a sensible solution & a cost effective way to cover the track.

• Like 1

Every year, and it seems to be getting worse, the sport has a big problem with rain-offs. Promoters and riders complain about losing money and fans have wasted journeys. But it never seems like anybody is doing anything about it. There is obviously no easy solution (or you would think it would have been implemented by now) but I would just like to hear for once promoters actually putting some money aside to at least look into coming up with something. A bit of investment could pay dividends in the long run.

• Like 3

Agreed, but it's a sport wide issue, therefore you would think the BSPA & SCB would be actively lòóking for a valid solution too, that way all clubs, riders & fans are on a win, win situation. They maybe are on the case but that I very much doubt. Shame as speedway could be right up there, especially if GB win the world cup?

So did I. I needed a 5-minute break, before heading around and driving back to Oxford, so went to look at the track. Very wet and third bend totally underwater. I've seen the Scunny track staff perform miracles (2012 play-off final springs to mind), but getting that back into shape was even beyond their capabilities, especially given there was still rain in the air. The track staff were starting to pump the water off the third bend, but there would not have been a raceable track by 7.30pm.

Scunny do have an excellent record in terms of rain offs; Rob Godfrey and his track staff are the best in the business when it comes to that. Only two rain offs at home during the whole of 2013 (both non-official fixtures, not a single official meeting was rained off in 2013), and only two so far this season. If they can get the meeting on, they will, but last night that just wasn't a possibility.

The heavy showers were hit and miss last night. It was peeing it down in Gainsborough on the way up, obviously very wet in Scunthorpe itself, I drove back a different way and it dry on the M180 just down the road, but then once I got on the A1, it was raining so hard, I could hardly see.

Very frustrating for everyone. I got home 7 hours after I started off, without seeing a heat of speedway. But I'll continue to take my chances in travelling up to Scunny (wouldn't have bothered if it was an away meeting), because I know they'll do their upmost to get a meeting on.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Gotta agree Rob & his team do an excellent job of getting the track back from the brink, credit where credits due there. Rob & his team were disappointed last night, real shame as it isn't easy trying to put a track together for good close racing.

Had the meeting started, I very much doubt it would've finished. Proper heavy rain hit Scunny about half eight.

So did I. I needed a 5-minute break, before heading around and driving back to Oxford, so went to look at the track. Very wet and third bend totally underwater. I've seen the Scunny track staff perform miracles (2012 play-off final springs to mind), but getting that back into shape was even beyond their capabilities, especially given there was still rain in the air. The track staff were starting to pump the water off the third bend, but there would not have been a raceable track by 7.30pm.

Scunny do have an excellent record in terms of rain offs; Rob Godfrey and his track staff are the best in the business when it comes to that. Only two rain offs at home during the whole of 2013 (both non-official fixtures, not a single official meeting was rained off in 2013), and only two so far this season. If they can get the meeting on, they will, but last night that just wasn't a possibility.

The heavy showers were hit and miss last night. It was peeing it down in Gainsborough on the way up, obviously very wet in Scunthorpe itself, I drove back a different way and it dry on the M180 just down the road, but then once I got on the A1, it was raining so hard, I could hardly see.

Very frustrating for everyone. I got home 7 hours after I started off, without seeing a heat of speedway. But I'll continue to take my chances in travelling up to Scunny (wouldn't have bothered if it was an away meeting), because I know they'll do their upmost to get a meeting on.

All the best

Rob

Yeah 3rd bend had a mini lake on it when I looked.

Unbelievable luck with the weather this year.

Fine all afternoon in Scunny, then the heavens opened just in time for the meeting.

I'm hoping it does the opposite in Berwick today.

The setup looked great, so I hope to be back soon and see some racing!

• Like 1

3rd bend always does collect water and first bend to a lesser degree. Why not just roll out some covers to vulnerable area, like cricket covers for example. As for rain just before the meeting, no, finished raining at least an hour before tapes up.Some Scunny riders were driving out at 18.04 hrs, just as I was driving in. No rain until 20.50 so it could have taken place if Ref pushed two minutes after every race. :cry: