British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Cheating In Speedway?

Can't believe any rider would cheat, what would be the point when they are riding purely for our entertainment?

• Like 1

Are we talking about Riders cheating, or the Speedway Public being cheated.

Dare I mention 'Double' Points and 'Play Offs'?

Cheating as in riders using illegal equipment, interesting that somebody mentioned nitro as a fuel, now that will make a rider go faster!!

In some big European grass meetings you have to get to the pit gate with your tank empty and it's filled with methanol supplied by the organising club in an attempt to stop additives

Cheating as in riders using illegal equipment, interesting that somebody mentioned nitro as a fuel, now that will make a rider go faster!!

maybe that's why so many engines 'blow-up',,, if there not designed to use it, just a thought :-)

Are we talking about Riders cheating, or the Speedway Public being cheated.

Dare I mention 'Double' Points and 'Play Offs'?

NO

• Like 4

Wasn't Leon Madsen suspected of cheating a few years back and the accusation seems to have affected his nominations in the Danish team etc as i can't really remember him getting anything from Stekkers of Secher since the problem arose.....

We also had Stekkers accusing the Poles of cheating at one SWC and Olsen also getting involved.But no official protest was made

And when Emil burst onto the GP scene there were comments about cheating made by the Sky guys.Again nothing concrete,just rumours.Although i did get a comment that Emil was cheating from one rider.

We also i am sure had an article in a paper by Mads accusing riders of cheating,but no names or anything concrete there either as far as i remember

Accusations about Smolinski arose this year of course

Greg Hancock not to happy at the way Adrian Miedzinski "breezed" past him to win in Torun-saying afterwards that of course there was no engine testing that night !

NO

that's not cheating,,, it's in the rules,,,

honest question,,, the rules say what you can do, yeah,,, but, do they say what you can't do, (anything),, it would be a very long book :-)

I think there are two areas, 'bending the rules' to manipulate gate positions, team averages etc is not cheating in my book, it happens in most sports, that teams will try and bend the rules where possible to gain an advantage.

For me true cheating is where a rider goes out on equipment that is known to be against the rules (oversized engines, dodgy silencers, wrong fuel etc). The other area that I consider blatant cheating is where a race is decided before the start, i.e. rider A will let rider B win.

• Like 1

I see Bernie Eccleston has just paid £60,million to have bribery charges against him dropped .

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-bernie-ecclestone-offers-80m-settle-bribery-074733152--f1.html

SIXTY MILLION QUID ! ! ! That's probably far more than British Speedway has cost to run in the whole of this century. Although the bribery charges don't relate to the actual racing side of F1 , with all that money swilling around and dodgy deals going on one can only speculate on what other dodgy things go on away from the public gaze. Its only about 3 years or so since the Ferrarri F1 team were convicted of industrial espionage, Spying on a rival.

The fact of the matter is that most professional sport is mainly about money and politics and speedway is no different. Most high level sports involve dodgy dealings, . I don't like it but it's the way of the world I am afraid.

Greg Hancock not to happy at the way Adrian Miedzinski "breezed" past him to win in Torun-saying afterwards that of course there was no engine testing that night !

I remember Jason Crump's famous comments after Gollob had completely outpaced him in GP final . The interviewer said to Crumpie " Gollob was fast to-night" and Crump replied with a twinkle in his eye "Yeah, Polish fast ".

• Like 1

yeah

It's great isn't it? Bribe your way out of a bribery trial :)

disgusting, but thats the way it is with people with too much money

and to think some fans were saying if only we had a bernie ecclestone type figure in speedway....if we did im sure poole would win even more than they do now ..;)

It's great isn't it? Bribe your way out of a bribery trial :)

Absolutely SPOT ON!!!

Well put Nick. :t:

Apparantly it is legal in Germany, the sum you pay is dependent on what you have - in Bernies case the sum has never been as high. After all he is a multi BILLIONAIRE.

Buying your self out of a trial does not imply you are guilty or not guilty - so now we will never know, and of course, it would be wrong to speculate.

I see Bernie Eccleston has just paid £60,million to have bribery charges against him dropped .

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-bernie-ecclestone-offers-80m-settle-bribery-074733152--f1.html

SIXTY MILLION QUID ! ! ! That's probably far more than British Speedway has cost to run in the whole of this century. Although the bribery charges don't relate to the actual racing side of F1 , with all that money swilling around and dodgy deals going on one can only speculate on what other dodgy things go on away from the public gaze. Its only about 3 years or so since the Ferrarri F1 team were convicted of industrial espionage, Spying on a rival.

The fact of the matter is that most professional sport is mainly about money and politics and speedway is no different. Most high level sports involve dodgy dealings, . I don't like it but it's the way of the world I am afraid.

I remember Jason Crump's famous comments after Gollob had completely outpaced him in GP final . The interviewer said to Crumpie " Gollob was fast to-night" and Crump replied with a twinkle in his eye "Yeah, Polish fast ".

Poles cheating? Whodathunkit

Edited by ch958